Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • prowla
    • By prowla 1st Aug 09, 7:40 PM
    • 9,744 Posts
    • 7,802 Thanks
    prowla
    • 1st Aug 09, 7:40 PM
    • 1st Aug 09, 7:40 PM
    Good stuff.
    It doesn't include Windoze 7 on the compatibility list, so it's enf-of-range, really.
    But it's free!!!
    • thenthornthing
    • By thenthornthing 1st Aug 09, 7:49 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    thenthornthing
    • 1st Aug 09, 7:49 PM
    • 1st Aug 09, 7:49 PM
    Good stuff.
    It doesn't include Windoze 7 on the compatibility list, so it's enf-of-range, really.
    But it's free!!!
    Originally posted by prowla
    It does include Windows 7... "General system requirements

Windows® XP SP2 or SP3, Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2.

Even if it didn't, chances are,it would have anyway.
  • hawkins1980
    • 1st Aug 09, 8:48 PM
    • 1st Aug 09, 8:48 PM
    well i think its great, i use Nero in work and had been looing for a free copy for home as i lost my CD, couldnt get one, so this is perfect, thanks for the find!!
    • baccyman
    • By baccyman 2nd Aug 09, 1:44 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    baccyman
    • 2nd Aug 09, 1:44 PM
    • 2nd Aug 09, 1:44 PM
    i saw this offer on another site and people were saying that it was only for burning data and not video or music,
    if true then it has limited use.
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 2nd Aug 09, 1:50 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 2nd Aug 09, 1:50 PM
    • 2nd Aug 09, 1:50 PM
    "What!!!8217;s better than free? Free forever! Nero offers you the chance to enjoy Nero!!!8217;s world-renowned data disc burning and copying features for an unlimited time, absolutely FREE!

Enjoy basic data burning and copying capabilities for your CDs and DVDs from the world!!!8217;s most trusted digital media brand, Nero."

Far better, free data burners out there. This is crippleware.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • fazn
    • 2nd Aug 09, 6:23 PM
    • 2nd Aug 09, 6:23 PM
    I personally wouldn't touch Nero with a barge pole, I use Ashampoo Burning Studio and does everything I've asked of it and is extremely reliable and no bloat unlike Nero! Download.com link
  • sandersjake16
    • 2nd Aug 09, 9:43 PM
    • 2nd Aug 09, 9:43 PM
    i agree with the above poster lol
    • -TangleFoot-
    • By -TangleFoot- 3rd Aug 09, 1:18 AM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    -TangleFoot-
    • 3rd Aug 09, 1:18 AM
    • 3rd Aug 09, 1:18 AM
    If anyone here is actually thinking of installing that, I suggest they read this first. Besides being bloated and potentially annoying this particular utility isn't really necessary, since Windows XP has had basic disc authoring capabilities from day one, and with just one update can potentially do even more. Disc image manipulation and label creation still require the use of third-party utilities, but having the capacity to burn data or audio to CD, DVD and BD is enough for most people's needs.

Naturally, Windows 7 can do most of this stuff straight out of the box. :rolleyes:
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 3rd Aug 09, 7:38 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    IMG Burn rules
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • mikemetcalfe
    Best free cd burner software
    Hi all, best free cd burner software CD Burner XP, search google for it, not allowed to add link because I am a new user
    • rpycroft
    • By rpycroft 5th Aug 09, 9:10 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rpycroft
    InfraRecorder is a good free, open source CD/DVD burning software - fully functional too.

http://infrarecorder.org/

Thanks.
    R
    • terryf
    • By terryf 5th Aug 09, 11:09 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    terryf
    Doesn't work on real computers i.e Apple Macs )
  • suicidal_blonde
    Just downloaded mine! My old Nero (7 I think) wasnt compatible with Vista and I didnt want to pay for an upgrade so ive made do with Roxio which doesnt really do DVD movie discs so well.
    Thanks for the tip!
  • moonklash
    Starburn
    I use Starburn which has nearly all of the features that the larger versions of Nero comes with yet doesn't cost a penny. However, be careful when installing Starburn and uncheck all of the optional extra's or you end up with firefox addons and a new homepage.

Starburn: http://www.rocketdivision.com/download_starburn.html

Been using Starburn for a while now and I think it's brilliant.
  • minws
    I'm using Ubuntu linux as operating system, which as every major Linux distro comes loaded with opensource software including full version of burning software like K3B or Brasero. Free and unlike what others like us to believe user friendly and supported.
    • Youngy
    • By Youngy 5th Aug 09, 4:01 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Youngy
    http://www.nero.com/eng/nero9-version-comparison.html

This is Nero Essentials v9
    "This version of Nero 9 contains simply data burning and disc copying features for CDs and DVDs. Additional features and functionality are available with an upgrade to Nero 9 full version."
    Last edited by Youngy; 05-08-2009 at 5:15 PM.
  • W_s_n
    What would you use this for?
    I moved here from Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) in 1980. I went to Borrowdale Primary School.
  • littlemisscheap
    Free Nero 9 Official CD DVD Bruning Software for download
    Free Nero 9 Download - subject to registration for some unknown limited period direct from Nero - Credit Crunch Cheers!

Just downloaded myself so don't know much info - please kindly discuss here if any issues.

Enjoy!

PS software is quoted as "free forever"!
  • archived user
    Have you got a URL? Can't seem to find anything at Nero.com

Edit:

Found it. The free forever is a severely limited version that gives basic burning capability

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php
    Last edited by mugwump; 12-09-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,619Posts Today

8,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin