Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    katie jane
    cheaper meat
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:10 AM
    cheaper meat 18th Apr 06 at 9:10 AM
    hi peeps would love some opinions!
    i currently buy all my meat.....in fact i buy everything from asda i am gonna try aldi and lidl for most stuff but im after a butcher for my meat this is what i currently spend on meat in asda can i save on this by buying from a butcher?

steak mince £1.93 500g
    fillet steak never pay more than about £5 dunno how much i get
    chicken breasts 3 £3.97
    beef roasting joint small £4.00
    chicken medium£3
    pork chops 4 £3.97

i guess i just need a rough idea of whether its worth the hassle and is the meat likely to be as "safe".i know it sounds daft but i worry that getting food from aldi or the butchers wont be as well checked as from asda.
    cheers katex
Page 1
  • bonnie
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:34 AM
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:34 AM
    i buy organic meat from tesco which isnt that expensive, i wouldnt buy meat in asda or cheap meat after watching that supermarket programme also my sil used to work in the meat dept in asda and she put me of. an organic chicken in tesco is only about £5 and does at least 2 meals.
    meat is one thing i wouldnt economise on have you tried the farmers markets their fairly cheap.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 18th Apr 06, 9:40 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:40 AM
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:40 AM
    I buy all my meat from the local butcher. It's slightly more expensive than the supermarket, but I believe it's far better quality. All meat is (and should be) traceable back to the farm and individual animal. Having spoken to a friend who works in a meat factory as an engineer, he's seen meat being rejected by one supermarket repackaged into packaging of another.

A butcher should be able to tell you where his meat comes from (ie which farmer). Our local butcher can do just that, and only buys meat from certain farms within a 10 mile radius of our town.
    SPC 8 #021 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 declared
  • bulchy
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:54 AM
    • 18th Apr 06, 9:54 AM
    My husband works in a town which has an indoor market. We sometimes buy mince and bones for our pets, but I'm always a bit wary of buying for us, a few years ago he got us some diced beef and it was a bit chewy. But sometimes when I look at the meat it does look nice. I used to work in a butchers shop, so I am a bit fussy about meat,and learnt a little from the butchers. what are others opinions/knowledge on butchers in markets?
    Sue
    katiejane, sorry for hijacking your thread, just thought it would be a good place to ask.
    • ViksB
    • By ViksB 18th Apr 06, 4:33 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    ViksB
    • 18th Apr 06, 4:33 PM
    • 18th Apr 06, 4:33 PM
    If you want "safe" meat then Asda or any supermarket is the last place I would go, they routinely have problems with temperatures of units in the supermarket and people moving stuff from refridgerated to non refridgerated. The way in which they buy their meat means that farmers are put under enormous pressure to cut corners, especially poultry.
    I would buy meat from either a butcher or best still find a farmer or smallholder who would be prepared to sell you half a lamb etc, this works out cheaper in the long run as long as you have a big freezer.!!!
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 18th Apr 06, 4:55 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 18th Apr 06, 4:55 PM
    • 18th Apr 06, 4:55 PM
    I never buy asdas meat, full stop. Our local butchers, although freindly, support your local suppliers etc, what they sell is SO fatty, theres no way we can buy it with OH & his cholestrol. I used to only buy it from Waitrose ( free range) but started using Tescos free range now and thats OK, but not as good as waitrose.
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter