Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 17th Apr 06, 4:28 PM
    • 1,251Posts
    • 3,802Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Choc chip muffins with mini eggs??
    • 17th Apr 06, 4:28 PM
    Choc chip muffins with mini eggs?? 17th Apr 06 at 4:28 PM
    Hiya

Managed to pick up some Smartie eggs and mini creme eggs half price today.

Thought about making muffins with them?

Has anyone tried this before? Do you think they will be ok if i break them down a bit?

Any other ideas for them, I only got 1 tube of each though?

Thanks as ever in advance
    Lyndsey x
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 17th Apr 06, 4:44 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 17th Apr 06, 4:44 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 4:44 PM
    Definitely go for it!I think I'd chop them up a bit first,but leave them pretty chunky.I'd save a few whole to put on the top of the uncooked batter for decoration.They might crack a bit in the oven,but they'll taste fine.Or if you make some chocolate buttercream you could put that on the cooked muffins and decorate with the eggs.HTH
  • halloweenqueen
    • 17th Apr 06, 5:51 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 5:51 PM
    I make chocolate buns then put a bit of chocolate or cake covering on top then add the mini eggs for decoration, they would be fine cut up a bit inside. i've also been using cheap white chocolate as a cake covering and putting those haribo egg sweets on top. (got the idea in sainsburys!).
  • Quackers
    • 17th Apr 06, 5:56 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 5:56 PM
    ooooooooo, that sounds luverly.

I'm sure they will work out fine.

We made brownies as Easter gifts and as well as walnuts we used some broken up mini eggs too.

Could you let me know how they turn out if you make them? I am now intrigued as to how cooked creme eggs would turn out. How would the fondant filling turn out? Anyone know?
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 17th Apr 06, 5:58 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 17th Apr 06, 5:58 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 5:58 PM
    Ive often used broken up chocolate bars in my muffins (crunchies are lovely in them!!!) and i bet the cream eggs would be lovely too, might just have to try those myself tomorrow!!!!
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 17th Apr 06, 6:02 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 17th Apr 06, 6:02 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 6:02 PM
    Sure will Quackers. Back to work tomorrow OH and (I suppose he is near enough my step sone - OH and I have been together 10years this year) SS are off to Drayton manor so have been baking all sorts this weekend.

Will see how I feel tomorrow and possibly make some then.

Will keep you all posted!

Thanks for your responses!
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 18th Apr 06, 4:23 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 18th Apr 06, 4:23 PM
    • 18th Apr 06, 4:23 PM
    Just taken some oot oven.

The fondant seems to of melted/disintegrated and the chocolate has sunk to the bottom. They do taste nice though! Not bad for a first attempt.

Does anyone have any more ideas of different things to do with muffins?
  • halloweenqueen
    • 18th Apr 06, 6:09 PM
    • 18th Apr 06, 6:09 PM
    I buy that dried fruit you get - like the healthy snacks stuff and use that in muffins and flapjacks. Glace cherry muffins are nice- wash and dry the cherries first then they don't sink to the bottom.
    I get the M+M's or similar) from one of those cheapy shops or 1 lands and they are good as well!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,362Posts Today

7,899Users online

Martin's Twitter