Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Apr 06, 2:09 PM
    • 35,212 Posts
    • 41,280 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:09 PM
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:09 PM
    as long as it is gutted then you can coat with Olive oil and either grill it each side for about 10 minutes or wrap in foil with a little oil (and veg/garlic if you wish) and stick in a oven at 220c for about 20 minutes

should just fall of the bone
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Apr 06, 2:12 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:12 PM
    I cooked a whole mackerel yesterday. What puts me off mackerel is the smell if I grill or dry fry. The smell permeates the whole house and lingers for ages. I wrapped this mackerel in silver foil and popped a couple of lemon slices in with it. It then went into the oven for about 20 minutes. Easy to do, tasted lovely and best of all no smell!!
  • henhog
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:18 PM
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:18 PM
    You could put it on the barbecue and then you don't get the smell in the house, and it is delicious - just do what Kittie says and then barbecue it. Yum!
  • dorry
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:46 PM
    • 14th Apr 06, 2:46 PM
    thanks for all your replies,

i am going to do it in the oven.

off to cook the potatoes to go with it

cheers xxx
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa
  • purpleimp
    • 17th Apr 06, 2:10 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 2:10 PM
    I know this is a bit late in the day, but I coat mine in oatmeal and fry up it's absolutely fantastic! it's really good battered and deep fried too!
  • dorry
    • 17th Apr 06, 2:30 PM
    • 17th Apr 06, 2:30 PM
    hi and welcome purplemp,

thank you so much for your reply, it's sounds delish, next time when i get some from tesco's i gonna roll in oatmeal!! oh is also noseying about and he says he would try it that way!!! thanks
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 29th Apr 06, 11:20 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    • 29th Apr 06, 11:20 AM
    Mackerel recipes please
    • 29th Apr 06, 11:20 AM
    Just been rooting around in the freezer for the store cupboard challenge and found mackerel which i bought reduced ages ago so it needs eating up but apart from fishcakes i cant think what to do with - any ideas anyone??
  • kittiwoz
    • 29th Apr 06, 8:29 PM
    • 29th Apr 06, 8:29 PM
    Kedgeree:
    Fry onion, add rice and a little curry powder and mix. Add in twice as much water as rice, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cover with a lid and reduce heat.

Meanwhile hard boil some eggs. When they are done put them in a pan of cold water to prevent further cooking and make them easier to handle. If you peel the eggs under water it's much easier to get the shells off cleanly too. Roughly chop the hard boiled egg.

Flake the makerel and add to the almost cooked rice, you could also add some frozen peas at this point but I don't think that's very authentic. Once the mixture is cooked gently stir in the chopped egg. You have to be quite careful not to break the yolks up too much. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Or you could just eat the mackerel with bread and butter and mustard. Nice with tomatoe salad.

A nice simple recipie is cooked flaked makerel , chopped frankfurters, broad beans and cooked pasta shapes stirred into melted soft cheese with a little mustard.
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 30th Apr 06, 9:43 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    Thanks so much i will try the kedgeree i think!!
  • Marsh Samphire
    Flake the fish, mix with ricotta cheese and some lemon juice - makes a lovely pate great with crackers.
    Marsh Samphire
  • kittiwoz
    Surely you need smoked mackerel for pate? I make it by mashing smoked mackerel with yoghurt and lots of black pepper.
    • summerday
    • By summerday 3rd May 06, 6:52 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    summerday
    Once when I was doing a storecupboard challenge I emptied a tin of mackerel into an ovenproof dish with a carton of passata, thinly sliced courgette and a sliced red and yellow pepper. Cooked in an ovenproof dish for a while. Served it with couscous I think. Thanks for jogging my memory I will have to make it again soon, it was an experimental dish that came out nice.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
    • Iona_Penny
    • By Iona_Penny 3rd May 06, 10:18 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Iona_Penny
    Well not specifically for mackerel, but today I made a smoked cod lasagne. One layer had sliced mushrooms, sl fried onions, sweetcorn and halved cherry tomatoes and the next the fish. Layered up with cheese sauce and topped with cheese that melted.
    19 yr son said it looked great when it came out of the oven, served with garlic bread and he and his sis finished it all off!! It would work well I am sure with strong flavoured fish, plus you don't need a lot to make it tasty.
    Def one I will be doing again.
  • bargainbird
    Cooking fresh mackerel without an oven ?
    Has anybody any ideas on cooking Fresh Mackeral healthily, without an oven (as its broke )

Thanks
    Clare
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket
    Is officially 48% tight
  • ubamother
    under the grill? (unless that's part of the broken oven!)

• becky_rtw
    • By becky_rtw 21st May 08, 2:24 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 15,038 Thanks
    becky_rtw
    Grill or a george forman thing? BBQ is another way.

Or if you're feeling really good I think you can poach it, I had some with stock, lemongrass, ginger and spring greens in China which was pretty good.
    Love running, love parkrun - simples!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 21st May 08, 2:34 PM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 14,078 Thanks
    Farway
    Has anybody any ideas on cooking Fresh Mackeral healthily, without an oven (as its broke )

Thanks
    Clare
    Originally posted by bargainbird
    Fry it, not in deep fat, just like you would tuna or steak

Grill is best though
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 21st May 08, 5:19 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    It's lush on a BBQ if you have one.
  • HelenYorkshire
    Bay leaves and lemon slices in the cavity, then griddle pan? Gives you the BBQ-style lines lol
    "She who asks is a fool once. She who never asks is a fool forever"
    I'm a fool quite often
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

3,952Users online

Martin's Twitter