Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Taylo
    The Itemiser - A New Challenge
    • 22nd Jul 09, 3:00 PM
    The Itemiser - A New Challenge 22nd Jul 09 at 3:00 PM
    Ok, I mentioned this in my diary as I am using it as a method to make my debts seem a little less daunting and means I can take a systematic approach to clearing them with mini achievements along the way. A couple of people have mentioned that they quite like the idea so I thought it might be good to bring it to the masses, hopefully it will work for you too.

I spent a bit of time working out what is actually on my credit card, what am I still paying for? I now have a list of items and how much they were and I am attacking them one at a time until the whole debt is gone.

SO item one on my credit card is a T-shirt I bought about 2 years ago, it cost me 25 so my MSE exploits are currently working towards that first 25 and then I can pay that off my credit card once I have got there, strike it off the list and feel a little less guilty every time I wear it., then move on to the next one on the list.

If you want to add anything to the itemiser post it up below and start working away at it until it has gone, once it is I shall add the item to the list of victims and let's see how big we can make the total paid off using the itemiser!!.

TOTALISER:

Victims:
    T-Shirt 25.00
    Argos Bin 49.99
    Batman Costume 25.00
    Easyjet Flight 96.50
    Petrol - 34.80
    Sainsburys food - 13.02
    Boozing - 18.44
    Ikea bits and bobs - 25.68
    M&S towels and kitchen stuff - 57.80
    Next Shirt - 17.99
    Autotrader ad - 17.99
    Umbrella - 16.00

Members:
    001 Bowski_1011
    Last edited by Taylo; 01-12-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: updating
    Paying it off one debt at a time!

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
Page 1
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 22nd Jul 09, 3:40 PM
    • 5,306 Posts
    • 42,006 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 22nd Jul 09, 3:40 PM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 3:40 PM
    I no longer have credit card debt, but just popping in to say that I think it is a great idea, very motivating! Having said that, if you bought a T shirt for 25, 2 years ago and you are still wearing it, it sounds like it was not bad value for money x
  • savvykaz
    • 22nd Jul 09, 3:44 PM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 3:44 PM
    I hate to put a negative slant on your efforts, but if the t-shirt cost 25 2 years ago and is still outstanding on your credit card , then with the interest over the last 2 years I dread to think what the t-shirt has actually cost you
    DMP starts June 2012, 38,180.

Balance June 2015 26,046 (paid off 32%)

DMP mutual support thread no 434
  • Taylo
    • 22nd Jul 09, 4:01 PM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 4:01 PM
    Interest free for the majority of that time so not to worry about that, and the interest that has been added to the account on this card forms a seperate entry which I will get to as part of the challenge.

The point is that the debt is being dealt with now!

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 22nd Jul 09, 6:52 PM
    • 23,980 Posts
    • 27,136 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 22nd Jul 09, 6:52 PM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 6:52 PM
    A new challenge!! I almost wish I had a credit card debt so I could join in: I think it appeals to my OCD side. If I end up forking out for these disputed service charges I may end up making re-payments one item at a time
    "lift servicing October 2007 ... check ... replacement lamps on second floor April 2008 ... check"

Be sure to get this new challenge added to the list of challenges on the sticky on the main DFW page.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
  • Taylo
    • 22nd Jul 09, 7:22 PM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 7:22 PM
    How do I do that Fire fox, sorry, I ask you everything don't i?!!

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 22nd Jul 09, 8:37 PM
    • 23,980 Posts
    • 27,136 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 22nd Jul 09, 8:37 PM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 8:37 PM
    I would PM Marru who posted the challenges thread initially - it looks like she is still updating with new challenges. To send a Private Message you just click on her name and then on send a PM (you probably already knew that bit!) and paste a link to your thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=767513
    As you say otherwise it may get lost before it's had a chance to take off!
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 22-07-2009 at 8:40 PM.
  • Marru
    • 23rd Jul 09, 6:30 PM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 6:30 PM
    Thank you, have added it into challenge list. (and promises to update the other challenge links in readyness for August in next few days...)
    "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

• Taylo
    • 25th Jul 09, 10:59 AM
    • 25th Jul 09, 10:59 AM
    Thanks Marru, I can announce the first success of the itemiser after only 5 days! It has made short work of a 25 T-Shirt!! Moving onto the next item on my list means a 49.99 target for a kitchen bin I bought.

If anyone wants to join in on the act then we can see what list of items the itemiser can get through.

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 25th Jul 09, 9:29 PM
    • 23,980 Posts
    • 27,136 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Here come the cheerleaders ....
  • Taylo
    If there is one thing the itemiser loves I would bet it is a long line of cheerleaders

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 26th Jul 09, 2:43 AM
    • 23,980 Posts
    • 27,136 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    If there is one thing the itemiser loves I would bet it is a long line of cheerleaders
    Originally posted by Taylo
    Are you thinking long-legged, super-flexible American teens or are you happy with the little fat yellow flumps? :confused:

(Are you even old enough to know what flumps are? )
  • Taylo
    Flumps were before my time i'm afriad, child of the eighties. Will have to stick to the long legged, super-flexible American teens.

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 25th Aug 09, 8:14 PM
    • 23,980 Posts
    • 27,136 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Where is Taylo? :confused: Hope you are ok.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 25-08-2009 at 8:18 PM.
  • Taylo
    I've been away and neglected my duties here, apologies. But the itemiser will rise again. Hopefully it will be kicking into action again soon. Hopefully some more people can join in as well.

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
  • Taylo
    Second victim alert!!!! Argos Bin is now 100% owned, itemiser has been turned back on again and is ready to march on to its next victim. Have decided to update the victims as I go along and keep them listed on the first post.

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
  • Taylo
    Wow, featured on the weekly top tips alert! Anyone who has been redirected from there to the thread please join in, would be amazing if we could get a few more items to work through together!

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
  • Taylo
    We are cooking on gas now! Batman has been paid for so we can add another one to the list. Now if you will care to Join me we are taking on a bigger prey. Easyjet flight to Geneva. This was from a skiing trip with the boys a couple of years ago, had a fantastic time, never laughed so much in all my life, but now the time has come to pay my dues - so it is a 96.50 target - GO!

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
    • Bowski_1011
    • By Bowski_1011 26th Nov 09, 12:30 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    Bowski_1011
    Hi Taylo...I'm joining and subscribing now quickly before I go to bed else I'll forget about it!

Anyways I'm not 100% sure of the amount I owe, but I have ordered 2 greenday tickets for me and DD on my Halifax cc which has interest so I wanted to get it paid off as quickly as possible, I'm not keen on paying interest!!

I will check my statement tomorrow then come and declare the exact amount I owe.
    Getting back on it Oct 2012
    Debt Oct '12 1398.70
    NSD Oct 1/10
    GC Oct 102.11/150.00
  • Taylo
    Good work Bowski! I shall add you to the list to make....well... 2 of us! But every challenge has to start somewhere! Green Day tickets will be worth it, they are awesome live, but get the figure and you can start to whittle away at it until it is gone!! The easyjet flight is almost done, I have a couple of things in the pipeline that will see it off so looking to find the next thing to scratch of the list.....

B&Q 12.40 / 93.11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,077Posts Today

6,923Users online

Martin's Twitter