Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debras Angel
    • By Debras Angel 12th Apr 06, 3:09 PM
    • 610Posts
    • 269Thanks
    Debras Angel
    Oxtail Soup
    • 12th Apr 06, 3:09 PM
    Oxtail Soup 12th Apr 06 at 3:09 PM
    Does anyone else use Oxtail Soup in casseroles and chilli.

Have to be honest and say I use a tin but you could use homemade.

I use it instead of tomatoes or gravy granules in various dishes.

It's good for stewing steak, chilli mince, sausages and all manner of red meat dishes.

It's quick and easy and you only need to add the herbs and ingredients.

It gives a lovely flavour, it's especially good with square sausages and onions (scottish). Another one is sausage meat wrapped in thin frying steak and done in oxtail soup in a casserole in the oven.

Most people I've served it to love the flavour and have no idea what it is.

Cheers Debs
Page 1
  • harrie
    • 12th Apr 06, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Apr 06, 3:16 PM
    yes i have used it tin soup never done it for a while
    but i use mulligatawny soup as well that flavours things well

tin soup is a good cupboard store food always find use for it
    • Debras Angel
    • By Debras Angel 12th Apr 06, 5:27 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Debras Angel
    • 12th Apr 06, 5:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 06, 5:27 PM
    Harrie what do you use it with?

Cheers

Debs
  • harrie
    • 12th Apr 06, 5:37 PM
    • 12th Apr 06, 5:37 PM
    i used it top of the cooker in stew you have to add water mince veg
    potatoes any meat do......drop dumplings in.......invented it when we went camping.......works well with corned beef....just keep having a taste
    and ajust seasoning..........we used to camp on a budget..with 3 kids
    every thing out of a tin.....bulk it out with veg hope that helps
  • Greenwellies
    • 12th Apr 06, 6:44 PM
    • 12th Apr 06, 6:44 PM
    I make a lamb casserole with it. Now I'm not sure how expensive it works out as I am new to this serious money saving (where as before I was careful sometimes!)

I add it to diced lamb steaks, musrooms and onions voila!

Greenwellies
    • kemo_2002
    • By kemo_2002 4th Aug 10, 2:49 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    kemo_2002
    • 4th Aug 10, 2:49 PM
    oxtail soup
    • 4th Aug 10, 2:49 PM
    I recenlty stayed in a Guest house in sunny skeggy, and on there menu was oxtail soup, ive never eaten this before, did look particulary appertising, just a dark bown soup. However it was llllllovely!!!!

So....

I decided to buy a tin of heinz oxtail soup....

Awful!!!

It didnt taste at all like what I tried and especially didnt like the bits of carrots floating around.

Surely this must have been homemade that a tried on the guest house?

Does anyone know how i can go about replecating it myself, not bits and bobs just plain oxtail soup.

• kymbogs
    • 4th Aug 10, 3:05 PM
    • 4th Aug 10, 3:05 PM
    First you'll need an ox...and an axe.
    Spoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 4th Aug 10, 3:24 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    • 4th Aug 10, 3:24 PM
    • 4th Aug 10, 3:24 PM
    It is quite expensive to make . Don't worry you don't need an axe and an Ox; many supermarkets sell Ox Tail pre- packed.
    1 Kilo Ox Tail
    1 Tin plum Tomatoes
    2 Carrots
    4 Sticks Celery
    1 Onion (optional)
    Salt & Pepper to taste.
    500 ml Water

All measurements are approximate; as with all soups, adjust to your own tastes.

Brown the Ox Tail in a pan, followed by the fresh veg, then the tomatoes. Add about 500ml Water.
    Put in a covered casserole dish in the oven on a low heat (gas 3/ 170o) for 4 hours, or until the meat is very soft.
    You can eat it at this point if you want it as a casserole. But it is best left overnight for the flavours to develop and heated the next day.
    If you want soup, then take the meat off the bones, remove fat and either put through a blender if you like a thick soup, adding enough water to give a soup consistency, or if you like a chunky soup then just add water to your taste.
    Adjust seasoning to taste.

Some people like to add a little sherry (they often do this in posh hotels, but i prefer it without.)
    Last edited by horsechestnut; 04-08-2010 at 3:27 PM.
    • kemo_2002
    • By kemo_2002 4th Aug 10, 4:58 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    kemo_2002
    • 4th Aug 10, 4:58 PM
    • 4th Aug 10, 4:58 PM
    hmmm thanks for the info, looks a bit tricky, does anyone know what other brands of oxtail soup are nice, obviously i dont like heinz, too many bits!!

• psso
    • By psso 4th Aug 10, 5:39 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    I don`t like the Heinz oxtail, but I quite like the Lidl`s one.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
    • u751904
    • By u751904 3rd Jan 11, 3:58 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    u751904
    ox tail soup
    I attempted an ox tail / stew / soup the other day. I couldn't eat it to be honest it was really too fatty for me. Any hints on making it more palletable please?
  • parsonswife8
    I attempted an ox tail / stew / soup the other day. I couldn't eat it to be honest it was really too fatty for me. Any hints on making it more palletable please?
    Originally posted by u751904

Let it get really cold and the fat will solidify on the surface and then you can scrape all that fat off with a spoon.

Felines are my favourite
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 3rd Jan 11, 4:27 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    I find serving an oxtail stew with something starchy, and adding starchy veg to the stew itself to soak up the fat helps, as well as the tip above about removing the fat when cold - it tastes better the next day anyway, as with many stews. Unfortunately, oxtail is a very fatty meat, which is where much of the flavour lies, so it will always taste a bit fatty. Make sure you cook it long and low so the fat within the meat has a chance to melt out to be skimmed off the top.

You could try adding about a third of lean stewing steak to the mix too - I keep wanting to try this but OH thinks it won't work and the stewing steak will go dry.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 3rd Jan 11, 7:48 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    oxtail? may have some more suggestions or this thread on oxtail soup . Ill merge this later
    thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 4th Jan 11, 5:16 AM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    I made this the other day... never again!

I paid 7.50 for an oxtail... my butchers prices are normally reasonable... but I thought this was expensive!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: 5400 - Interest Saved: 11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • lurkey*is*here
    I find serving an oxtail stew with something starchy, and adding starchy veg to the stew itself to soak up the fat helps, as well as the tip above about removing the fat when cold - it tastes better the next day anyway, as with many stews. Unfortunately, oxtail is a very fatty meat, which is where much of the flavour lies, so it will always taste a bit fatty. Make sure you cook it long and low so the fat within the meat has a chance to melt out to be skimmed off the top.

You could try adding about a third of lean stewing steak to the mix too - I keep wanting to try this but OH thinks it won't work and the stewing steak will go dry.
    Originally posted by babyshoes
    I always add stewing steak to oxtail stewor brasing steak or casserole cubes or what ever my lovely butcher is trying to get rid of he will be honest and Ill buy it I have 4 kids if I was to make it compleatly ox tail Id be broke
    I do mine in the slow cooker and it comes out beautiful if thats any help?
    oxtail is a very fatty meat it used to be a poor mans cut of meat but for some reason the past year or two its really popular and expensive??
  • lucid
    i bought ox tail from tesco a couple of weeks ago and it cost less than 3.00 if that helps anyone
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Jan 11, 8:45 AM
    • 16,856 Posts
    • 144,298 Thanks
    JackieO
    This is a bit worrying as I too have some oxtail in the freezer,If I skim the solidified fat off apart from compressing it into a ball for the birds is there anything else I could use the fat for ?
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • u751904
    • By u751904 4th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    u751904
    I made this the other day... never again!

I paid 7.50 for an oxtail... my butchers prices are normally reasonable... but I thought this was expensive!
    Originally posted by JulieGeorgiana
    Gosh that is a lot ... it should be a few quid say 3 - 4 max. I think that there are some butcher who are catching onto the budget trend , eg offering cuts which they'd not usually promote at higher prices. As is oxtail suddenly become trendy. Watch out tripe will be 7.50 next.

Has anyone ever cooked / eaten trip? My husband said he won't... ! what is it with these men?
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 4th Jan 11, 4:19 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 36,653 Thanks
    Fruball
    I always add stewing steak to oxtail stewor brasing steak or casserole cubes or what ever my lovely butcher is trying to get rid of he will be honest and Ill buy it I have 4 kids if I was to make it compleatly ox tail Id be broke
    I do mine in the slow cooker and it comes out beautiful if thats any help?
    oxtail is a very fatty meat it used to be a poor mans cut of meat but for some reason the past year or two its really popular and expensive??
    Originally posted by lurkey*is*here

I think thats true of most 'cheap' meats.... Since the top chefs starting showing everybody how to use them, its made them trendy and prices have been increased accordingly.

Almost no such thing as a 'cheap cut' these days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter