Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 06, 12:17 PM
    • 12,444Posts
    • 79,059Thanks
    kittie
    my rice was too sticky
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:17 PM
    my rice was too sticky 11th Apr 06 at 12:17 PM
    I bought a new pack of basmati rice from tesco. Their own brand. It is too sticky and is like gloop

Why does rice get sticky?

What is the best way to cook basmati rice and is there any real difference between a more expensive basmati and tesco own brand?
Page 1
  • B52
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:24 PM
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:24 PM
    Will rinsing the rice a few times before cooking help?

I suppose excess starch will be washed away so it will become less sticky.
    Last edited by B52; 11-04-2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add information
    • sloppychops
    • By sloppychops 11th Apr 06, 12:25 PM
    • 6,631 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    sloppychops
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:25 PM
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:25 PM
    I always rinse rice before cooking it and also when its just about cooked.That takes all the stickiness out of it.
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 06, 12:26 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:26 PM
    Hi B52 I did rinse it

I wondered if there are different types of basmati
  • rchddap1
    OH does this sometimes when cooking rice. We call it 'gloop' or 'slop'. Simply put he has the rice on too high a temperature and over cooks it.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • B52
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:28 PM
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:28 PM
    Kittie, sorry I don't really know.

I think different rice are different in the amount of water it will absorb so perhaps you need to reduce the amount of water to this particular type of rice?

But recently I found the Balmati Rice from Aldi and we absolutely love it.
  • filigree
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:49 PM
    • 11th Apr 06, 12:49 PM
    I find that the cooking instructions for basmati tell you to cook it for far too long. The first time I cooked it the instructions said to cook it for 30 mins! I find that 10 minutes is plenty.

My method goes:
    Put water on to boil in a pan big enough for the rice to expand
    Rinse the rice in plenty of cold water
    Put rice in boiling water, return to boil
    Simmer for 8-12 minutes (keep tasting a few grains to see if it's done)
    Rinse with boiling water from the kettle
    Dish up
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 11th Apr 06, 1:04 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 11th Apr 06, 1:04 PM
    • 11th Apr 06, 1:04 PM
    Soak it for 30 mins beforehand, drain and cook as normal, just 2 minutes less when you have soaked.
    I use a rice cooker and put in 1 1/2 times water to rice, e.g. one cup rice, 1.5 cups water.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 11th Apr 06, 1:22 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    • 11th Apr 06, 1:22 PM
    • 11th Apr 06, 1:22 PM
    kittie, I have used the tesco basmati rice with no problems whatsoever. You say you rinsed the rice - I rinse it in a colander (one with very small holes or large sieve) and rinse it thoroughly, mix around, and make sure the water runs clear so you know you have rinsed all the starch out.

When you cook it, once come to the boil, let it simmer and don't over cook it - give it a stir every now and then. Once cooked rinse it with boiling water if you like if you think it is still a bit sticky - it shouldn't be.

If you are making rice for salad, or want it cold (or warm it later) after cooking rinse it with cold water - and this will stop it cooking further. This is the same with pasta - once cooked, cold water stops it cooking further.

I suppose you could put a drop of olive oil in the water to stop it sticking - I always put in a dash of olive oil when I cook spagetti.

I use a steamer (for the microwave) a lot to cook rice and it turns out great every time! I can only say that the tesco basmati isn't the problem.

Hope this helps you.
  • jenniferpa
    I guess we all have a favourite method of cooking rice. Mine is as follows. ! cup of rice + 2cups of water. Bring to a boil. Immediately cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and leave for 5 minutes. At no point after you cover the saucepan do you remove the lid or stir until it's time to serve the rice. Result - perfect rice. The only rice I rinse for the purposes of removing starch is japanese rice. Some organic rices need to be rinsed simply to remore debris.

Jennifer
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 11th Apr 06, 1:31 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Linda32
    I don't know the difference but I beleive the starch content causes the problem. I stir once when I first put the boiling water over. Also I do the rinse when its cooked with boiling water.
  • wizzkid
    We were watching Ready Steady Cook once and Ainsley was talking about 'sticky rice', now my kids cheer when it is sticky as they think I am so clever to have managed it again!
  • Kentish
    I wondered if there are different types of basmati
    by kittie
    From my experience, there are different qualities of basmati (and other kinds of rice) and the supermarket own-brand ones are generally disappointing. They're either slightly starchy/hard or too soft and sticky - it's almost impossible to get it just right.

I would personally stick to the premium brands like Tilda - comes up perfect everytime. Rinsing beforehand, adding the right amount of water, and using a rice cooker helps!
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 11th Apr 06, 9:01 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    I agree with Kentish, I had the same problem with Tesco Basmati - then I bought Tilda and it is perfect now and I dont even soak it, one thing I do do though is when its finished cooking I drain it and return to the saucepan and put a fresh tea towel over the top for about 5 mins it helps soak up any excess moisture.
    • nick_b
    • By nick_b 11th Apr 06, 9:56 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    nick_b
    If your rice is all gloopy you are definitely using too much water. My Nepalese wife finds it so odd that people in the country boil rice for ages and then throw away all that lovely water which contains important minerals from the rice. You'll have much healthier rice if you just use enough water that is absorbed by the rice while cooking. The rule of thumb (literally!) is to have just enough water above the rice that reaches up to your first thumb joint. Boil rice uncovered until pock marks start to appear. turn the heat right down and put on the lid. Another 10 mins and it should be done. If you take it off the heat and them just leave it to stand the rice should come away much more easily from the side of the pan. No oil needed!

Alternatively, you could use a rice cooker like we do (We eat a lot of rice in our house!)

PS. My wife doesn't like to wash the rice, as she says you are washing away minerals then too.
  • maxiscot
    I use a variation of jennifer's method - I dry fry 1 cup of rice for a few minutes while the kettle is boiling - pour 2 cups boiling water on top - boil hard for 5 mins. Turn off heat and leave with a tight fitting lid on ( no stirring, no looking) for at least 15 mins. Done this with every type of rice and never had a problem. HTH
    Last edited by maxiscot; 11-04-2006 at 10:17 PM.
  • Kentish
    ...put a fresh tea towel over the top for about 5 mins it helps soak up any excess moisture.
    by Essex-girl
    Essex-girl's spot on - taking the pan off the heat and covering it also ensures that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan
  • BJL
    My Basmati rice used to go sticky, then someone told me i was stirring it too much. So now i just bring it to the boil, stir it once and then put the lid on to leave it to simmer until all the water is absorbed, and it is so much better. I use Tesco rice too.
  • B52
    The rule of thumb (literally!) is to have just enough water above the rice that reaches up to your first thumb joint.
    by nick_b
    Yes, rice taste so much better if you just cook it in enough water. Washing rice after it's cooked made the rice taste very bland.

We bought a plastic rice cooker for microwave and it's so much more easier than cooking on stove and the rice made is lovely!
  • krishna
    Basmati rice normally absorbs more water than other long grain rice.
    The amount of water needed varies according to the age of the rice. The older the rice the more water it needs. So some variation will exist even between to packets of the same brand/variety.
    Cooking times (and the amount of water) vary according to individual preference. Europeans seem to eat harder (less cooked) rice than Indians.
    Rinsing the rice before or after cooking will wash away many of the nutrients. A single wash before cooking is sufficient.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin