PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with skate wings - help?!

I bought 2 skate wings from the fresh fish counter as they were a bargain.

I froze them straight away but they've been kicking around the freezer for weeks cos I just don't know what to do with them!

Anyone any ideas???

NMS
Highest debt - £24500 :mad:

Current debt - £0 !!!! :)

Debt-free date - 4 AUGUST 2006 :D

Official DFW Nerd No 0073

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you go to the BBC Food Website & type in "Skate wings" a couple of suggestions come up
    There's also a couple of recipes on Delia online too.
    I've only ever had them once, cooked by someone else but it was delicious. I keep meaning to buy them, but like you, need inspiration as to what to do with them!
    Let us know what they're like
  • Skate wings are wonderful, and dead easy to cook! I have tried lots of recipes, but my favourite is to season some flour with salt, pepper and dill (dried or fresh) and coat the skate wings in the flour. Then gently shallow fry them in some butter or oil on both sides until brown. Sqeeze some lemon juice over when serving them. It is such a delicate tasting fish :) You'll find that one side of the wing has more fish on it than the other, (one side is thicker). You just take you fork and pull/scrape the fish down along the line of the bone. when you've done one side you just flip it over and eat the other side! Some people eat the ends of the bones as they go all crispy, but thats not for me!! Enjoy!! (you've made me peckish now!).
  • Just pop 'em in oven with a dab of butter and ground black pepper - yummy!
    Irony.

The opposite of wrinkly.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    First things first .

SMELL, If you can smell any trace of ammonia bin them !

If not and there is virtually no smell of fishyness then please follow the previous excellant suggestions !

shammy
  • yep, they do go off quickly!
    Irony.

The opposite of wrinkly.
  • I froze them straight away and I won't take them out until I'm about to use them - thanks for the tip though!

• Skate wings are wonderful, and dead easy to cook! I have tried lots of recipes, but my favourite is to season some flour with salt, pepper and dill (dried or fresh) and coat the skate wings in the flour. Then gently shallow fry them in some butter or oil on both sides until brown. Sqeeze some lemon juice over when serving them. It is such a delicate tasting fish :) You'll find that one side of the wing has more fish on it than the other, (one side is thicker). You just take you fork and pull/scrape the fish down along the line of the bone. when you've done one side you just flip it over and eat the other side! Some people eat the ends of the bones as they go all crispy, but thats not for me!! Enjoy!! (you've made me peckish now!).

I did this and it was yummy. Thanks for the advice!

• Karb
    Karb Posts: 853
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just found some skate wings in the freezer that I'd forgotten about. I got them about two months ago in Morrisons - reduced from £5.26 down to 45p as they had almost reached their sell by date.

Will they be ok after being in the freezer for a couple of months, and if so how do I cook them?
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

• I season them with salt and pepper, dip them first in egg and then in flour and gently fry them in a frying pan, with a bit of oil and butter. Once you can !!!!! a fork through the thickest part, they should be done.
    I like a bit of lemon juice squeezed on, once cooked.
    The fish flesh comes off easily from both sides, from the smaller part towards the wider part and is really tasty.

They should be okay if you defrost them and pat dry with some paper towel. If they do not smell too fishy and are not slimey to the touch and are not mushy, I would go for it.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family