Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Apr 06, 12:07 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 8th Apr 06, 12:07 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 12:07 PM
    They're never burst in the photos in cookery books are they?

Mine always seem to do this too,I think the secret is to really pinch the two layers of pastry together as well as using milk/egg/water to seal.HTH
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 8th Apr 06, 12:13 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 8th Apr 06, 12:13 PM
    Burst pies
    • 8th Apr 06, 12:13 PM
    Sometimes this can happen if oven is too hot, or you leave them in for just that bit longer than necessary - has happened to me on more than one occasion!:rolleyes:

When sealing pastry, I use milk and firm down with thumbs all the way round, then with a knife, (just normal cutlery knife) go round edges sort of chopping in sideways (this is difficult to explain for a very easy thing!) which gives a stronger seal.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 8th Apr 06, 12:45 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 8th Apr 06, 12:45 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 12:45 PM
    Although you cut a hole in the tops, do you think that they could have sealed up again? as they rose they might have joined up again, especially if you glazed the top crust. Also egg can make a better glue to join the tops as it will cook hard like an egg does in a pan.
  • Queenie
    • 8th Apr 06, 5:22 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 5:22 PM
    Damn!! I've just made a load of chicken pies, and they've burst!! i made cuts in the top of them all, but they still burst outa the sides!! i sealed the top and bottom of the pastry with milk, and i was using puff pastry....any tips on stopping this happening again please? :confused:
    by mandy_moo_1

Sounds to me like you've simply put too much filling into your pies
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mandy_moo_1
    • 8th Apr 06, 8:57 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 8:57 PM
    Sounds to me like you've simply put too much filling into your pies
    by Queenie
    Yep...i think you could be right i never thought of that....thanks for all the other tips as well x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,841Users online

Martin's Twitter