Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • MrsE
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:45 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:45 PM
    I did a search and couldn't find a thread asking for replies to my question so here goes...

I think it is terrible in this day and age that is is cheaper to buy rubbish like crisps, chocolate and biscuits than fruit and vegetables. I know that buying seasonally keeps costs down but wondered...

What ways do you do this and make sure you have variety (and good vitamin and mineral intake) over the course of a week.

What is the cheapest way to five a day?
    Originally posted by Make do and mend
    I don't think getting your 5 a day is going to be cheap, but I sooooooo agree with what I highlighted in red.
  • Make do and mend
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:56 PM
    I priced up Hula Hoops on offer at them moment and worked out at Tesco they are something like 7-8p a packet. Yet a piece of fruit is nothing like that.

This is something that has been getting on my nerves for a while now. It is easy to feed your children nutritional rubbish - but difficult to buy reasonably priced healthy fruit and veg.
  • bc3000
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:57 PM
    Aldi have their super 6 fruit/veg on offer every week

• skiTTish
    Frozen veg ,same vitamin content ( in most cases) and soooo much cheaper!!
    and if you dont use it ,it does not go off
    We get a bag of frozen broccoli ,cauli ,peas ,sweetcorn ,green beans ,mushrooms ,peppers .All a pound or less
    Think we spend less than a tenner every 2 weeks on veg and we have atleast 3 portions a day each
  • PollyFlinders
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:58 PM
    After a lot of trial and error I've decided that the cheapest way to 5 a day for us is to buy stuff my family will actually eat, so that I have no waste fruit and veg at the end of the week. I tried buying the cheaper things like apples/bananas but ended up using them in cakes and puddings to save them going off. Now I buy some grapes (which the children will eat) frozen sweetcorn, and fresh carrots and brocolli fairly regularly, and supplement with stuff we grow ourselves (which they often won't eat!) and I feel happier that I'm not throwing any of it away. Not the cheapest, but probably more o/s than having lots of waste.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:59 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 3:59 PM
    Hi there

I very rarely have my "5 a day" in single figures I'm usually about 10-15 -i eat enough fresh fruit and veg to keep a gorilla happy ... I don't buy cakes, crisps, choc, pastries etc -so I see buying fruit as a fair exchange... and to be honest I don't think it has to work out more expensive than cakes etc
    I do things like add chunks of raw carrot to salads, frozen peas n corn -just defrosted -not cooked on salads is a fave that I have now got hubby into .. they reccomend "eating a rainbow" so that you get as many nutrients as possible...
    If you google -you might be surprised what a portion size actually is..they are often much smaller than you think -so quite often an apple is big enough that it would count as 2 portions.
    Raw carrots are a good snack -well we like them

Frozen and tinned (in juice) are another good option -
    Markets are a good place to look if you have any near by -especially towards the end of the day when most reduce prices -if things are a little over ripe -you could make them into lovely juices/smoothies and freeze in lolly makers so that they keep well...
    dried fruit is another option
    hope that ramble is some help
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • cyclingyorkie
    • By cyclingyorkie 6th Jul 09, 4:05 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 59,581 Thanks
    cyclingyorkie
    • 6th Jul 09, 4:05 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 4:05 PM
    dried fruit counts - and you don't need much!

Also beans and pulses - I've got lentil soup in my slow cooker....

My local Coop is very poor at ordering :confused:....which is why I end up with punnets of raspberries and strawberries for 25p!

Agree with The Aldi super 6.
  • GettingHitched
    • 6th Jul 09, 4:52 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 4:52 PM
    Check out co op reguarly, they have some fab bargains ( cherries/raspsberries/strawbs and other yummyness for 50p or less! )

Throw a handfull of (value) frozen veg into anything, hm soups for lunch (made with value veg )

Visit your local market at packing up time. Cut out crisps/choc etc and use that to buy fruit. If kids wont eat fruit as it is, slice an apple pop in the oven till it dries voila apple crisps

Aldi
  • weezl74
    I researched it 6 months ago and the cheapest way to get 5 different F & v a day and eat all your colours was 19p. I don't think it has gone up by more than a third.

HTH

Weezl x

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for 40
    • little_miss_moneysaver
    • By little_miss_moneysaver 6th Jul 09, 6:37 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    little_miss_moneysaver
    You don't say how many are in your family but at our market they do a bowl for 1. Have lots of things the usual bowls of bananas, apples and oranges and more seasonal peaches, melons etc. Also bowls of carrots, broccoli etc. Very good value of you have a family or like me eat loads of fruit!
    Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012
    Second menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Jul 09, 6:56 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I priced up Hula Hoops on offer at them moment and worked out at Tesco they are something like 7-8p a packet. Yet a piece of fruit is nothing like that.

This is something that has been getting on my nerves for a while now. It is easy to feed your children nutritional rubbish - but difficult to buy reasonably priced healthy fruit and veg.
    Originally posted by Make do and mend
    I agree, it gets on my nerves too. Simplest thing I've found is just to ignore that which is not food and never buy it. So no hula hoops and their ilk. Make sure the only foods you put in in your basket are just that -food and not rubbish. Make every thing you buy earn its place in your basket by being nutritionally worthwhile. Buy ingredients not 'made' things

5 a day on the cheap (or reasonably cheap)

A glass of value orange juice
    An apple
    A serving of frozen peas
    A handful of carrot sticks
    A large sliced tomato

Can you grow things? I'm getting 5 servings of raspberries from my garden at the moment.
    • freebiequennie
    • By freebiequennie 6th Jul 09, 6:58 PM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    freebiequennie
    tinned and frozen fruit and veg count towards 5 a day

potatoes dont count

fruit juice does but only one glass so cant cheat and have 5 as still only counts as one.

be careful with tinned fruit and buy in juice not syrup as this is less healthy unless wash syrup off.

can get some good value tinned fruits in juice in sainsburys.

we often make a sugar free jelly with a tin of fruit added (use the juice as part of total liquid needed to make jelly) as a healthy pudding- also can make in those little pots with lids for luncboxes much cheaper than those ready done ones.
    • freezspirit
    • By freezspirit 6th Jul 09, 7:00 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    freezspirit
    I think I might be in the minority but I've been told to cut down my daily fruit and veg portions from the dietician. You see at the beginning I misunderstood the "5 aday" as I was eating 5 fruit and 5 veg a day sometimes multiplying the fruit so I would have 5 apples, 5 pears, 5 clemintines etc in aday. Plus I would forget to include fresh fruit juice in my portions, if anyone wants to know a litre of juice as the small calories as a pint of beer about 500.

In my house, my parents don't mind spending on fruit and veg as I'm not really into junk food and noone drinks or smokes.

To be honest in the house we always have fresh fruit juice, in season fruit and veg, dried fruits and nuts and only in the past couple of months have we started to buy tins of fruit as I can work out my portions better, the tins work out cheaper than fresh fruit and they seem to last longer.
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 6th Jul 09, 7:01 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Getting your 5 a day when you have little money is difficult. I recently moved house, where I used to live the nearest supermarket was a Morrisons. Their so called fresh fruit and veg was very poor quality, a lot of the produce was overly soft and in many cases starting to grow mould!!! Now Tesco is my nearest store and their produce is far better quality.
    I have started to plant some of my own veg, it will take a while to reap the benefits but it will be worth it eventually.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 6th Jul 09, 7:05 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    I cannot recommend Aldi's super six highly enough. http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/4862.htm

I also second the recommendation of frozen veggies- it's cheaper but it also cuts out the waste you often get with fresh fruit and veg. We always have frozen peas, sweetcorn and spinach in.
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Jul 09, 1:06 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 119,610 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm able to buy lovely fruit'n'veg at Stony Stratford market for not too much money; my problem is managing to eat 5 portions a day, without missing out on other nutrients.

I have a really tiny appetite, and if I ate 5 portions of f&v in a day, I'd have no room for any other type of food.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Jul 09, 1:41 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    the easiest and cheapest way to get the 5 down is via hm soup

stock
    + maybe lentils
    tinned tomatoes
    celery
    chunk of squash
    carrot
    onion
    garlic
    cabbage leaf

whizz and it slips down

You don`t need fruit as it is all in veg and many fruits are high in sugar too. The fibre in veg is equally important

because of doing soup almost every day, we eat at least 10 a day
    • Lois and CK
    • By Lois and CK 7th Jul 09, 2:00 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    Lois and CK
    the easiest and cheapest way to get the 5 down is via hm soup

stock
    + maybe lentils
    tinned tomatoes
    celery
    chunk of squash
    carrot
    onion
    garlic
    cabbage leaf

whizz and it slips down

You don`t need fruit as it is all in veg and many fruits are high in sugar too. The fibre in veg is equally important

because of doing soup almost every day, we eat at least 10 a day
    Originally posted by kittie
    Good idea with the soup. I avoid too much fruit as it raises blood sugar too quickly and I have PCOS, so get most of my five a day from veg. I use dried beans (kidney, aduki etc) as they're cheaper than tinned and add them to one-pot meals, I also use frozen veg.

Curry - add chickpeas, lentils, mushrooms, cauliflour, onions and peppers

Chilli - add kidney beans, aduki beans, black beans, lentils, mushrooms and onions

Stews - add lentils and various veg: carrots, onions, squash, peas, etc.

My husband eats a lot of fruit though, so I look out for supermarket offers and buy value/basics ranges.
  • Confuzzled
    Aldi have their super 6 fruit/veg on offer every week
    Originally posted by bc3000

if you have one nearby GO! today i was delighted to find large bunches of bananas, 3 packs of peppers, vine ripened cherry tomatoes, nectarines, and punnets of grapes (and a bag of new potatoes i think) all for just 49p each!

i'll get my fresh fruit this week too vs 95% of the fresh stuff going to my daughter who's an absolute fruit hound. this is the best week i've seen so far for their 49p selections so definitly worth it for a venture in!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter