Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nik0510
    • By nik0510 7th Apr 06, 11:59 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 112Thanks
    nik0510
    making butter from cream
    • 7th Apr 06, 11:59 AM
    making butter from cream 7th Apr 06 at 11:59 AM
    hello, this is my first post, been watching you guys for ages, anyway yesterday i was reading a thread about making butter from cream, I have hunted in the recipe index and i cannot find it, sorry.
Page 1
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 7th Apr 06, 12:16 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 7th Apr 06, 12:16 PM
    • 7th Apr 06, 12:16 PM
    Well all you need is cream really

I use whipping cream as a rule but I guess doublecream would work...

Put COLD cream in a bowl and WHISK! if you want salted butter then sprinkle a little in but I prefer unsalted butter so don't really bother. I guess it would last longer if you salted it though but do so nearly at the end when the butter is nearly solid.

Keep whisking until the cream starts to turn to butter. You will probably find that you'll get some watery liquid in the bottom but that's normal It's what's called buttermilk You should squeeze the butter to try and get rid of as much buttermilk as possible as this will help it keep

I put the butter in a small plastic pot and freeze it to set and then take it out of the shape (mine is square so it stacks well )

And there you have it... butter
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 7th Apr 06, 12:17 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 7th Apr 06, 12:17 PM
    • 7th Apr 06, 12:17 PM
    It's not really a recipe Nik,you just pour some double cream into a jar,screw the lid on tight and shake it until your arm drops off!

You'll know when you've got butter.First it goes completely stiff and it seems like there's no liquid left,then all of a sudden the butter separates from the buttermilk and you have a lump of butter sloshing around in your jar.You then need to wash it under the tap and squeeze out any remaining buttermilk or it will go rancid.HTH
  • Queenie
    • 7th Apr 06, 12:41 PM
    • 7th Apr 06, 12:41 PM
    Welcome nik0510

Delighted you've come out of lurkdom

Either of the above methods work - but, regarding the "buttermilk" - *don't throw it away!* - use it to make scones to spread your lovely HM butter on

Have fun making your own butter
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • bootman
    • By bootman 7th Apr 06, 1:26 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    bootman
    • 7th Apr 06, 1:26 PM
    I've just made some so I could make a cake.

I started with the jam jar, progressed to a hand blender and have just bought a kitchenAid mixer which is much easier.

Just pour it in whisk and wait it will go to whipped cream then look like a very yellow crumble then suddenly will separate so you have milky water and butter. Stop mixing now.

Rinse and squeeze under cold water till clear runs out and there you go butter
  • black-saturn
    How long does it take to whisk into butter?
    • nik0510
    • By nik0510 7th Apr 06, 2:02 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    nik0510
    • 7th Apr 06, 2:02 PM
    • 7th Apr 06, 2:02 PM
    thanks for the replies tine, thriftlady, queenie and bootman, will hopefully make some this weekend and post whether it was a success.
  • Queenie
    • 7th Apr 06, 2:04 PM
    • 7th Apr 06, 2:04 PM
    How long does it take to whisk into butter?
    By jar - about 20 mins ish (tip given to me by another lady - give the jar to the dk's and let them make a game out of rolling it to one another across the floor )
    By machine - a few minutes only
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 7th Apr 06, 2:33 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    • 7th Apr 06, 2:33 PM
    • 7th Apr 06, 2:33 PM
    I have been making it on a fairly large scale since the previous thread surfaced, I wait to get reduced price cream and then get the mixer out, in fact two days ago I bought a gallon of Double Cream and made 6 pounds of it

I have found through research on the web and empirically that it "turns" much faster if a) the cream is at room temperature and b) the cream is a bit older (say use by date plus maybe 2 days) When using a mixer it can go in as little as 2 minutes!! I have a KA type mixer (A Hobart) and I found that the flat beater is best (you cannot easily get the butter out of a balloon whisk) I line all the cream up to warm on my radiator together with the bowl and beater then add the cream at 2 pints a time, start at a fairly slow speed until the cream is just starting to thicken then up the speed to about 50% of max and keep an eye in it, as soon as it starts to separate (ie go granular) I turn the speed back down (this stops you and the kitchen being covered in buttermilk ) then once the butter starts to form (you will hear it first) I switch off and pour off the buttermilk, this is repeated twice. Doing it this way gets almost all of the buttermilk out of the milk mechanically.

Then remove the butter to a bowl of tepid water and mash it with a masher to remove the last of the buttermilk and change the water as necessary till it is clear.

I then store it in cold water in the fridge till it is all done and form it all into a big sausage on a clean tea towel, working it back and forth till it is all dried and one piece (this is hard work BTW :rolleyes: - It may pay you to let it warm a little - It won't stick to the towel either unless it is very soft) I usually wrap it in another towel and leave it overnight in the fridge once again then the folowing bay I either pat it or roll it and store in greaseproof paper in the freezer for use.

N.B.

You can add a little yellow colour at the start for a richer colour.
    Add salt as the cream thickens up
    HM Butter is much harder than shop bought, giving it a bit of a beat after washing helps somewhat.
    It tastes really nice

HTH
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • leonie
    If you leave it on your worktop all day to come to room temp it only takes half the time to turn into butter. I do mine in the kenwood in a couple of mins.

I also use the buttermilk in my mash potatoes and white/cheese sauce. I freeze it until I need it and its absolutely fine, however I wouldnt drink it once its been frozen
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 7th Apr 06, 3:29 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    hello, this is my first post, been watching you guys for ages, anyway yesterday i was reading a thread about making butter from cream, I have hunted in the recipe index and i cannot find it, sorry.
    by nik0510
    HERE is the original thread for you nik
  • tina68
    That was a blast from the past, i remember doing this in primary school,taking the cream off the free milk we were given and putting it a sterile jam jar with a peg and shaking it stupid...is it economical then do you think to still make your own butter??
    Tina x
  • Queenie
    tina - it's economical if you buy your cream from the reduced counter

More than that though, you *know* whats in it
    • nik0510
    • By nik0510 9th Apr 06, 2:46 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    nik0510
    hi guys, thanks for all your posts, i've done it, pouring cream room temp and about 10 mins of shaking in a jar and hey presto, only prob is a bit sticky when rinsing off, got a fair bit of butter milk, really really excited, but havent got anyone to tell, hubby thinks im off my trolley !! will post when we have tasted it.
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 9th Apr 06, 3:53 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    I've been experimenting again (Sorry folks) Buttermik makes exquisite light well risen Yorkshires that soak up gravy like nothing else.

Only a litre and a half to go now!!!!
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • angchris
    • By angchris 9th Apr 06, 3:54 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    i have found this thread facinating, i never thought of making my own butter before i now feel compelled to give it a go! as i work in a shop i think i`ll swipe the reduced double cream next time i see it, any good tips for a first timer?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 9th Apr 06, 5:28 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    i have found this thread facinating, i never thought of making my own butter before i now feel compelled to give it a go! as i work in a shop i think i`ll swipe the reduced double cream next time i see it, any good tips for a first timer?
    by angchris
    Yes

Read the original thread that ark posted just a short while ago:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1306844
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 9th Apr 06, 5:40 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    hardpressed
    They were talking about all those nasty trans-fatty thingies on the BBC Food Program at lunchtime, have a look on their web site, it tell you how to make butter in a food processor. Haven't made my own yet but have been buying value butter for a long time, don't fancy all those nasties in low fat spreads. Still looking for reduced cream!
    • nik0510
    • By nik0510 9th Apr 06, 6:46 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    nik0510
    Hi guys, well have tasted my butter, really nice even dh likes it, from a 284 ml of pouring cream have got just over 4 ounces of butter and 4 fl oz of butter milk, well pleased, just can't believe how easy it was, have now said to dh to keep a lookout for reduced pouring cream. many thanks to all of you who posted. xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,978Users online

Martin's Twitter