Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 2nd Jul 09, 11:30 AM
    • 2,367Posts
    • 1,623Thanks
    movilogo
    0 WOW
    Free Parking space search (merged)
    • 2nd Jul 09, 11:30 AM
    0 WOW
    Free Parking space search (merged) 2nd Jul 09 at 11:30 AM
    This site gives free parking information.

http://www.freeparkingspace.co.uk/

:rolleyes:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 07-07-2009 at 8:26 PM.
Page 1
    • hstudent
    • By hstudent 2nd Jul 09, 4:56 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    hstudent
    • 2nd Jul 09, 4:56 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 4:56 PM
    It only covers London though.
  • bex4adz
    • 2nd Jul 09, 6:12 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 6:12 PM
    It does cover other areas, just typed in a couple of places, Cambridge, Luton, Peterborough, and they all came up with some
    • A little stressed!!
    • By A little stressed!! 2nd Jul 09, 8:06 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    A little stressed!!
    • 2nd Jul 09, 8:06 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 8:06 PM
    Looks good will be better when people add new areas. You can add ones you know of too.
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!
  • Pip26
    • 2nd Jul 09, 8:49 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 8:49 PM
    Looks like could be very useful - thanks for posting movielogo
  • Mandles
    • 2nd Jul 09, 8:57 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 8:57 PM
    This site gives free parking information.

http://www.freeparkingspace.co.uk/

:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by movilogo
    I know, i found this yesterday and it is great. Very useful service. I have 3 streets to park near london now.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 2nd Jul 09, 9:01 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 2,629 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 2nd Jul 09, 9:01 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 9:01 PM
    Probably not so good if you live in one of the streets, but cute idea.
  • SUESMITH
    • 2nd Jul 09, 9:16 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 9:16 PM
    hmm suppose it depends on the city, the ones in york are all a km or more out of the centre
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • Mandles
    • 3rd Jul 09, 8:12 AM
    • 3rd Jul 09, 8:12 AM
    Probably not so good if you live in one of the streets, but cute idea.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    well, we all pay road tax. I have people park outside my house all day long.
    • mbanbrook
    • By mbanbrook 8th Jul 09, 7:54 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    mbanbrook
    Good idea, but once again the website developer hasn't bothered to do a mobile version of the site.

I wish more creators would realise that services like this are perfect for the mobile web.
    • jeferey
    • By jeferey 8th Jul 09, 8:09 AM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 56,108 Thanks
    jeferey
    hmm suppose it depends on the city, the ones in york are all a km or more out of the centre
    Originally posted by SUESMITH
    1 kilometre isn't far to save on parking, it'll only take about 10 minutes!
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 8th Jul 09, 10:58 AM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    .... and your connection with the site is....?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • BostonMan
    I was not impressed. Try entering shopping and Leeds - the free parking times are just nonsense for shopping.
  • Joe Rossi
    .... and your connection with the site is....?
    Originally posted by zzzLazyDaisy

errr...none...what is yours?
  • Joe Rossi
    yes, that's the one..1.50 to park all day sounds like a good deal to me.

Just look at the two sites..I know which one I would trust..
    Last edited by Joe Rossi; 08-07-2009 at 1:59 PM.
  • tobyg
    Nifty? Naffed off more like it...
    Although this service may seem helpful for those out of town, it has a severely negative affect on those of use that actually live in these streets. The net result is that we can no longer park outside of our own homes as people who work in the city or use the railway station now selfishly take EVERY available parking space. And when you have two children and shopping to transport from your car to your front door, having to park several streets away is not as trivial as it sounds

And yes, I know that we all pay road tax and therefore have a 'right' to park anywhere legal - unfortunately peoples' so called rights seem to take over their sense of thoughtfulness these days. You see that when a car is parked over what would be two spaces or left there for someone's holiday. Some even park in front of residents' driveways. I've no problem with genuine visitors to the street parking wherever, but when it's used to solve local companies' lack of on site parking in town or advertised by sites like this as free parking for shopping, then it's a real issue. A bit like publishing rat-runs as an alternative to main routes into town. And this posting and feature within the Tips email will only make the issue worse. Thanks for nothing...I look forward to even more traffic in my road further reducing my family's quality of life.
  • Joe Rossi
    Although this service may seem helpful for those out of town, it has a severely negative affect on those of use that actually live in these streets. The net result is that we can no longer park outside of our own homes as people who work in the city or use the railway station now selfishly take EVERY available parking space. And when you have two children and shopping to transport from your car to your front door, having to park several streets away is not as trivial as it sounds

And yes, I know that we all pay road tax and therefore have a 'right' to park anywhere legal - unfortunately peoples' so called rights seem to take over their sense of thoughtfulness these days. You see that when a car is parked over what would be two spaces or left there for someone's holiday. Some even park in front of residents' driveways. I've no problem with genuine visitors to the street parking wherever, but when it's used to solve local companies' lack of on site parking in town or advertised by sites like this as free parking for shopping, then it's a real issue. A bit like publishing rat-runs as an alternative to main routes into town. And this posting and feature within the Tips email will only make the issue worse. Thanks for nothing...I look forward to even more traffic in my road further reducing my family's quality of life.
    Originally posted by tobyg
    I can understand that view, especially if you live near a railway station. But if you do, then surely parking is already an issue. Stupid parking and illegal parking over someone's driveway are unacceptable and should be punished accordingly, but if a road has no restrictions you can't expect people (commuters or visitors) from using the spaces. Maybe you and your fellow residents should lobby the council to put restrictions on your road...
  • Joe Rossi
    All your posts in this site are promoting freetopark site. So we know whom to trust anyway

Hope people using your paid service update freeparkingspace data so that we don't need to pay £1.50.
    Originally posted by movilogo

Well, as you put the first post up I assume it is your service you are promoting too.

It's true, I am recommending one site over another, but why do you assume its my site? what happened to the ability to review two competing services? I have looked at both sites, and although one charges £1.50 it appears to me to be a much better service. There will always be people who would rather pay nothing and they will take their chances with the other site I guess.

I was just making the point that if you know that some information in their database is complete rubbish ( as I know from checking my local area) then why would you trust the information in an unknown area you may be visiting?
  • tobyg
    I can understand that view, especially if you live near a railway station. But if you do, then surely parking is already an issue. Stupid parking and illegal parking over someone's driveway are unacceptable and should be punished accordingly, but if a road has no restrictions you can't expect people (commuters or visitors) from using the spaces. Maybe you and your fellow residents should lobby the council to put restrictions on your road...
    Originally posted by Joe Rossi
    Thanks Joe. Sadly this is not the case; I have live here for 10 years and parking was never an issue until 18 months ago a local major employer HSBC provided their employees with a list of roads where they can park for free. Now when I take my daughter to pre-school there are always cars literally queuing to take the space...and they all have work ID on and don't return until 5pm. My point is that sites like this one (above) will make matters even worse as our available parking is further advertised in the public domain.

Problem with asking for permit parking is 1) is costs residents money 2) we already give too much to our local council for little return and 3) if you have more that one visitor stay on that rare occasion like a party, then they cannot park either (usually get your own permit and one spare I believe). I also don't want to go through all that hassle and bureacracy just because a site like this has caused the problem.

Grrr.

But thanks for the reply though
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 8th Jul 09, 2:24 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    movilogo
    I have looked at both sites, and although one charges 1.50 it appears to me to be a much better service.
    There you go! How do I know it really gives me a good service unless I part with my hard earned 1.50 in this economic downturn? It's easy to criticise free sites as you can look at their data and it doesn't cost money to see their data.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter