Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 29th Jun 09, 3:31 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Cheryl substitute Ashley’s mayo?
    • 29th Jun 09, 3:31 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Cheryl substitute Ashley’s mayo? 29th Jun 09 at 3:31 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Cash-strapped Cheryl is taking the Downshift Challenge, and dropping one brand level on all groceries to see if she can spot the difference. Yet hubbie Ashley is a supermarket snob who absolutely refuses to eat own-brand food. When Ashley tries Value mayonnaise without realising, he can’t tell the difference. Cheryl is tempted to keep filling up the old Hellmann's jar with Value mayo, so he unwittingly eats the cheaper brand. Yet she feels slightly guilty for deceiving him.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 29th Jun 09, 7:08 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 29th Jun 09, 7:08 PM
    • 29th Jun 09, 7:08 PM
    Simple: He's eating and enjoying it so I'd come clean, along the lines of, "I didn't want to tell you as I wanted you to eat it with an open mind...and it's not so bad, is it?"
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • boopydoo
    • 29th Jun 09, 7:49 PM
    • 29th Jun 09, 7:49 PM
    Yes I would do it. My mum always said you eat with your eyes before your mouth.

My aunt used to come to our house and refused to drink anything other than Smirnoff vodka and said all other brands gave her heartburn but never brought her own. My mum used to buy cheap rubbish and top up the bottle and my aunt never complained of heartburn.

What the head doesn't know, the heart won't grieve over!
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 29th Jun 09, 7:55 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 29th Jun 09, 7:55 PM
    • 29th Jun 09, 7:55 PM
    She should just tell him the truth.

My mum tried to fob me off with cheap burgers, and putting a Birds Eye packet in the bin. I could always tell though.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 29th Jun 09, 9:36 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 29th Jun 09, 9:36 PM
    • 29th Jun 09, 9:36 PM
    If my missus started deceiving me like that then I would be wondering what else she was deceiving me about.

Furthermore I would be wondering what she was doing with the rest of the housekeeping money.

Seems like she is treading on very thin ice here.

• *Louise*
    • By *Louise* 30th Jun 09, 12:27 AM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    *Louise*
    • 30th Jun 09, 12:27 AM
    • 30th Jun 09, 12:27 AM
    Normally I wouldn't bother hiding the 'downshifted' brand, but if my hubby was a label snob, then I would do it, to get him to try it, then if he didn't complain about the taste I would tell him afterwards.

My mum is a label snob, she moans at me when I go shopping with her (eg: "I always bought you the Kellogs Rice Krispies") jeez, how many ways can you puff a bit of rice!!
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 30th Jun 09, 3:39 AM
    • 8,313 Posts
    • 48,369 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 30th Jun 09, 3:39 AM
    • 30th Jun 09, 3:39 AM
    depends pn whether its low fat mayo.. and whether capelli finds out- shouldnt be eating that kinda of stuff anyway!
    Last edited by brightonman123; 01-07-2009 at 9:16 AM.
    Long time away in real life, no web..
    Sometimes seen lurking on competitions forum :-)
  • bc3000
    • 30th Jun 09, 10:42 PM
    • 30th Jun 09, 10:42 PM
    It's just mayo! Is it really that big of a deal? I'd let him believe it a couple of times and then tell the truth and we'd both laugh over it and keep on buying the cheaper one.. No biggie. But tbh buying mayo other than Helmans makes me feel a bit sick.. the others always look a bit horrible and a kinda weird colour :S

• bagby
    • By bagby 30th Jun 09, 11:07 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    bagby
    • 30th Jun 09, 11:07 PM
    • 30th Jun 09, 11:07 PM
    yes - if he cant tell the difference - I would come clean after we had eaten the whole jar tho. I only like hellmans - have tried others but usually end up throwing them out.
    • globalds
    • By globalds 30th Jun 09, 11:16 PM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    globalds
    If cash strapped Cheryl is really cash strapped then surely she should be talking with Ashley and then they can help each other out ..Then come to an agreement about whether they can still afford these little luxuries.
    Maybe Cheryl should try the down shift challenge on stuff just she uses.
    • DezMiller
    • By DezMiller 1st Jul 09, 12:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DezMiller
    Unless there's a special dietary reason for the higher-priced brand you're not deceiving anybody, you're just sensibly saving money from a wasteful brandsnob. Carry on and use the savings from all your downshifts to buy him something that he actually does need! Maybe then you can tell him how you did it (if he's of the general temperament that will actually appreciate it in good spirit)
    • scoobydoobydoo
    • By scoobydoobydoo 1st Jul 09, 12:50 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    scoobydoobydoo
    NOT NOT NOT for 3 months

Because if she does it before then then he will claim that he was tired/stressed/starving *delete as appropriate* and therefore wouldnt notice so she was deceiving him!

But after 3 months of her buying a jar a week/month, there is no way he can say that!

emxx

PS I know this because I have done it!
    • scoobydoobydoo
    • By scoobydoobydoo 1st Jul 09, 12:53 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    scoobydoobydoo
    If my missus started deceiving me like that then I would be wondering what else she was deceiving me about.

Furthermore I would be wondering what she was doing with the rest of the housekeeping money.

Seems like she is treading on very thin ice here.

Originally posted by scotsbob
    If I was your wife then I would be wondering why I was with someone so suspicious when all I was trying to do was save us money.

In fact, I wouldnt be with you at all if that was your attitude!
  • janaltus
    I'm shocked! You are implying that a wife would "fake it" to keep her husband happy! Surely that would never happen, under any circumstances. Would it?

• Marigold123
    • By Marigold123 1st Jul 09, 2:33 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Marigold123
    Sorry, but both Asda 'Smart Price' and Tesco 'Value' mayonnaise are vile. She has no chance of him not noticing.

The regular Asda and Tesco own brands are fine; I buy them all the time, but I don't like the super low priced ones. I can tell the difference between either Asda's and Tesco's regular brands and Hellman's easily, too, so I reckon if hubby's a real foodie she doesn't have a hope in hell.

Personally, I like all three types. It's like own-brand baked beans vs Heinz; they're all good, just different. (Although in that case I actually prefer the value and smart price brands to the regular supermarket brands. Don't ask me, they're just nicer.)

But, to cut to the chase, if this issue was taking place in my house, and assuming there was no appreciable difference between the brands in question, OF COURSE I'd substitute the cheapo brand and shove it in a Helmans jar! Then, when he'd been happily eating it for a few weeks, I'd tell him, then start buying it openly. But that's just me. I doubt I'd be married to anyone who was that unreasonably snobbish about brands anyway, it's just so not me.

Marigold
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • LOUY
    Just get him to do the taste test.
    If he can honestly taste the difference, then he can stay with his current brand. If he fails the taste test, as it appears he has already without even knowing, then there is absolutely no reason to stay with the current brand.
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): £120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): £98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): £89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • somean49
    Simple: He's eating and enjoying it so I'd come clean, along the lines of, "I didn't want to tell you as I wanted you to eat it with an open mind...and it's not so bad, is it?"
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    Don't tell him - he's a bell end. He will just kick up a fuss because he has been 'tricked'. People like this rarely see their folly. Keep doing the business, don't get caught and trouser the money you have saved.
  • mr-tom
    She shouldn't keep tricking him or he'll rightly be annoyed and frankly dishonesty is dishonesty and it gives him an excuse (not a good one) to lie to her about stuff.

More to the point though - if she plans to continue, she'd better wash out that jar thoroughly between refills or he's going to get properly sick.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 1st Jul 09, 7:00 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    Cheryl should (at least this time) cook Ashley dinner, using the cheaper mayo. Then afterwards ask him if he enjoyed the meal. If he really can't tell the difference he will give you the right answer. That's when to tell him the truth and he would not be able to back out of it. The fact it is cheaper then becomes a bonus if cash is tight, and provides an excellent reason to stick with it.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    • macaroni
    • By macaroni 1st Jul 09, 7:22 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    macaroni
    Yes Id say do it !! If hes fool enough to think that own brand mayo tastes like Hellmanns then he deserves to be tricked !

Im a sucker for own brands but I wont compromise on taste and nothing beats Hellmans !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

7,115Users online

Martin's Twitter