Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bulchy
    Carrot cake made in school
    • 5th Apr 06, 10:24 AM
    Carrot cake made in school 5th Apr 06 at 10:24 AM
    My 12 year old son made carrot cakes in school yesterday, and they tasted much better than anything I've ever bought. He had actually eaten 3 of them before they made it home, and we all ended up fighting over them last night. Its a bit annoying though because the teacher provides the ingredients, they just have to take the money in for them, but they give them to the kids already weighed Cant see how the kids are learning how to follow a full recipe this way, I'm gonna bring this up at parents evening. Its the same in my daughters cooking class as well, she goes to a different school, so its obviously common practice these days.
    Anyhoo, I'll get to the point (eventually) the ingredients were flour, brown sugar, marg, an egg, grated carrot and a pinch of ginger powder. He thinks there was about a cup full of the dry ingredients, but the marg, well as you can guess from a 12 year old boy, well it was just a 'lump' can anyone help me with quantities please? I've asked him to ask the teacher, but I know he'll forget to ask.
    I remember cookery classes when I went to school, we had to take all the ingredients into school ourselves, and once they had been made, we wrote the method for cooking down in our excercise books, so if we ever wanted to make anything, we had the book to refer back to, not that I ever did this, but my mam and my sister often made things we had previously made at school first, how times have changed.
    Sue
Page 1
    • pollys
    • By pollys 5th Apr 06, 11:08 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    • 5th Apr 06, 11:08 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 11:08 AM
    This sounds very similar to Catowens recipe, which was delicious. I'll try and find it later, it was really easy, got to dash to playgroup now, sorry.
    MFW 1/5/08 45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • bulchy
    • 5th Apr 06, 11:52 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 11:52 AM
    Thank you Polly. I've just noticed the 'Is homebaking cheaper' thread, I will have a look through that and see if its on there.
    Sue
  • Quackers
    • 5th Apr 06, 12:01 PM
    • 5th Apr 06, 12:01 PM
    Its a bit annoying though because the teacher provides the ingredients, they just have to take the money in for them, but they give them to the kids already weighed Cant see how the kids are learning how to follow a full recipe this way, I'm gonna bring this up at parents evening. Its the same in my daughters cooking class as well, she goes to a different school, so its obviously common practice these days.
    by bulchy
    Thats nuts!! How are they going to learn?

They dont do this everywhere as my girls have to take ingredients to school. I'm am suprised at how little they actually cook at school though. My eldest daughter is 14 and has probably cooked no more than half a dozen times in 2 years. I know that the lesson varies - sometimes its textiles but I still think the pratical side of cooking instead of learning about nutrition and stuff is just as important. Especially as so many people are buying convinience foods and not seeing any cooking done in the home.

OMG - I'm getting old :rolleyes: But its true

Sorry I cant help with your question of knowing the recipe

It does sound yummy though.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 5th Apr 06, 12:11 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 5th Apr 06, 12:11 PM
    • 5th Apr 06, 12:11 PM
    Hello!!! Not sure if it is the same, but this is the recipe i use =

8oz s/r flour,
    1/2 tsp ground mixed spice,
    5oz soft dark brown sugar,
    5 oz carrots, grated,
    2 eggs,
    1/4 pt corn or sunflower oil,
    2 tbsp milk.

180C - 40 mins, oblong tin, just mix all ingredients together, then bake!

Topping -

2oz butter, softened,
    8oz icing sugar.
    Last edited by comping cat; 14-04-2006 at 6:35 PM.
  • aussielle
    • 5th Apr 06, 12:13 PM
    • 5th Apr 06, 12:13 PM
    TBH I think it's quite a good idea in some respects. My son's always used to need a small amount of things I never had in and so it did sometimes work out quite costly, so this way is moneysaving but I agree it isn't going to teach kids how to weigh ingredients etc maybe they should improvise and provide the ingredients but let them measure it out themselves, although I suspect time maybe a factor.

The thing that hacked off my kids was they always seemed to have cookery on the same day as P.E and they ended up with too much to carry.
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • bulchy
    • 5th Apr 06, 1:25 PM
    • 5th Apr 06, 1:25 PM
    Hi Catowen, thank you, that sounds very similar to my sons recipe, will try it at the weekend.
    Quackers, my son has only cooked once so far this term, and its half term next week, looks like he'll have 'food' as the lesson is called, after Easter, then it will be onto something else next term. TBH they did give him a list of ingredients to take in to make a sandwich a few weeks ago, but he missed this lesson. Also my daughter is taking 'food' as part of her options, she chooses what she wants to cook from a list the teacher provides,(supposedly a healthy menu for kids under 8 but I dont think milkshake made with crusha and choc chip cookies are particularly healthy myself) and the teacher gives her a list of what she has to bring in, plus how much money she needs to pay for the stuff she provides, and gives her these weighed out. I cant see how shes learning much this way, she should be finding her own recipes and ingredients, half the girls in the class dont know how to use the scales.
    aussielle, my son had P.E yesterday as well, this was his excuse for eating the cakes on the way home, he was hungry from all the excercise.
    Thank you all for the replies.
    Sue
    • Chell
    • By Chell 6th Apr 06, 9:38 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    • 6th Apr 06, 9:38 AM
    • 6th Apr 06, 9:38 AM
    Hello!!! Not sure if it is the same, but this is the recipe i use =

8oz s/r flour,
    1/2 tsp ground mixed spice,
    5oz soft dark brown sugar,
    5 oz carrots, grated,
    2 eggs,
    1/4 pt corn or sunflower oil,
    2 tbsp milk.

180C - 40 mins, oblong tin, just mix all ingredients together, then bake!

Topping -

2oz butter, softened,
    8oz icing sugar.
    by catowen
    Will this be ok with light brown sugar? I take it that the colour will just be lighter. The new improved OS shopper can't buy more sugar
    Last edited by Chell; 19-04-2006 at 9:48 PM.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 6th Apr 06, 10:05 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 6th Apr 06, 10:05 AM
    • 6th Apr 06, 10:05 AM
    Will this be ok with light brown sugar? I take it that the colour will just be lighter. The new improved OS shopper can't buy more sugar
    by chelltune
    Im sure that will be fine, i use whichever brown sugar i have in the cupboard and it always comes out lovely!!!!
  • bulchy
    When I make it at the weekend it will be light brown sugar that I use.
  • brindles01
    It is also VERY nice made with S/R Wholemeal flour. It gives you more to chew on IMO.
    • Becles
    • By Becles 6th Apr 06, 11:51 AM
    • 12,879 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    When I did GCSE Home Economics, you had to write your own recipes down, then you were supposed to order the ingredients through a form you left with the teacher, and she calculated how much money your were supposed to bring in. I soon worked out that I was paying too much for cheap Makro own brand stuff, when my Mam had much better quality ingredients at home. I told the teacher I'd rather bring my own ingredients in, and she was fine with that.

When we had a student teacher covering she was interested in why I was the only one in the class bringing everything in from home. I showed her the prices for things on the school list and knew all the prices for marg, flour etc. I explained it cost less to buy better ingredients than buy from the school. She was really impressed with that

I still don't think it's right that the school should make a profit from the ingredients, but it really annoyed me at the time.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • pollys
    • By pollys 6th Apr 06, 12:09 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    thanks catowen, thats the recipe, i made it was yummy.
    MFW 1/5/08 45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • bulchy
    Hi Becles, thats an interesting point, I didnt realise the school would be making a profit out of my daughter buying the ingredients from them. I should have realised this I suppose, I feel so naive now I'm definitely gonna bring this up at the next parents evening. My daughter chose her own project, and she picked planning a menu for young children and the last 'meal' she made was 3 types of milkshake and cookies. The milkshakes were made with crusha, so its not too healthy IMHO, if we make milkshake at home, its made with fruit, I wish she hadnt chosen to take this subject now, I can teach her better at home.
    Sue
  • diamondcatz
    My son who can cook quite compently at home was given a list for stirfry and noodles inc 1 pack of mixed baby veg and pouch of noodles to pan-dont have time to cook noodles in lesson aarrggghhh. How is it Im preparing them for life and they are heading them to the ready cook and heat aisles. Big letter of complaint went in.
    olympic challenge week 6 = $414.70
    slowly slowly REBEL NO. 21
  • bulchy
    My son who can cook quite compently at home was given a list for stirfry and noodles inc 1 pack of mixed baby veg and pouch of noodles to pan-dont have time to cook noodles in lesson aarrggghhh. How is it Im preparing them for life and they are heading them to the ready cook and heat aisles. Big letter of complaint went in.
    by diamondcatz
    Good for you Diamondcats, did you get a reply???

Sue
  • bulchy
    In the words of Vicky Pollard,'Oh my god I so cant believe I just said that!!!!!!
    In an earlier post on this thread, I said it's half term next week, and even though I mentioned that it was Easter, it still didnt occur to me that its the end of term, how embarrasing What must you all think of me??? You will all have to get used to me and my failing memory, I'm hopeless
    Sue
  • tr3mor
    Thats nuts!! How are they going to learn?
    by Quackers
    You're expecting kids to learn anything in school? Very optimistic methinks.
  • diamondcatz
    That was their reply along with my complaint to junior school who give out small sweets to be exchange= :confused: 4 small for a mars etc for correct answers to practise SATS and getting rid of vending machine but sell choc muffins at tuck bar. Oh and mine can't eat a wholemeal cheese roll at morning break as they have brekkie at 7 am but can eat those hideous fruitwinders as they come under fruit! theyve backed down on that after pointing out a nation of obese kids arent helped with this crappy get outclause and sheer laziness I am now not flavour of the month :confused:
    olympic challenge week 6 = $414.70
    slowly slowly REBEL NO. 21
  • purplemoon
    i've noticed a problem with that carrot cake recipe....
    Unfortunately its too late for me as its ovened already. There's too much oil in it! After finding a 'problem' with the batter (I had added a bit more flour to try and compensate) I found catowen's original recipe, posted the 18/3 which states 150ml oil, not half a pint. (Done this one before- worked great). Have used nearly twice as much now, and have not enough carrots to make another if, as expected, its a flop.
    Dunno if anyone else had tried this version yet, but thought I better point it out so as nobody else makes the same mistake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,764Posts Today

7,020Users online

Martin's Twitter