Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 5th Apr 06, 9:01 AM
    • 7,874Posts
    • 3,905Thanks
    Stompa
    Freezing Sausages
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:01 AM
    Freezing Sausages 5th Apr 06 at 9:01 AM
    I sometimes freeze sausages. On the label it generally says something like "freeze on day of purchase and consume within one month".

Now I've just discovered some that have been in there about six weeks. I'm tempted to go ahead and use them, or would that be a foolish thing to do?

Thanks

Stompa
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 5th Apr 06, 9:06 AM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:06 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:06 AM
    I wouldn't personally, I'd feel abit uneasy. I'll admit I wouldn't be happy throwing them away, but I would do.
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 5th Apr 06, 9:08 AM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:08 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:08 AM
    Wouldn't worry me at all.
    I freeze sausages all the time and can't say I've even looked at that consume within a month bit!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 5th Apr 06, 9:09 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:09 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:09 AM
    I'm no expert,but I think they'll be fine.I'm sure they can't go off in the freezer,but what may happen is a deterioration in the texture of the sausage.In other words the quality may be affected,but not the safety.HTH
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 5th Apr 06, 9:12 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:12 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:12 AM
    I would use them. I have frozen sausages for a couple of months and never had any problems.

Pink
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 5th Apr 06, 9:15 AM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:15 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:15 AM
    I'm no expert,but I think they'll be fine.I'm sure they can't go off in the freezer,but what may happen is a deterioration in the texture of the sausage.In other words the quality may be affected,but not the safety.HTH
    by thriftlady

Sounds right to me.
    • lister
    • By lister 5th Apr 06, 9:18 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    lister
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:18 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:18 AM
    They will be perfectly safe. As thriftlady says, it is only the general quality that diminishes as the skins develop a little freezer burn - but that takes months, rather than a few weeks over the recommended month. I have eaten sausages that have been in my freezer for years (I am not a big sausage eater) without a problem.
  • LearningToSave.
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:22 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:22 AM
    i would definately use them!!
    i've used ones that have been frozen for 6 months before with no problems.
    to be honest i never pay attention to how long it says cosume within,i just bung it in freezer and use it when needed.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 5th Apr 06, 9:24 AM
    • 9,156 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:24 AM
    • 5th Apr 06, 9:24 AM
    I was under the impression that once something goes in to a freezer that it is sort of in suspended animation.

So the clock stops ticking once it it is frozen. But once out and defrosted you should treat as fresh and consume asap.

I took out pitta breads out the freezer dated the 5 of december and husband ate them no problems.

Have you looked at some things at the dates on them. I have frozen tuna steaks and there date on them is jan 2007.

As has been said the texture might have changed. And if you look on the inside of a lot freezers it even has little pictures telling you how long to leave things in the freezer. So that gives you an idea.

If they had been in the fridge I would have said no way.

Yours

Calley
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 5th Apr 06, 9:25 AM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 3,905 Thanks
    Stompa
    That's 6 to 1 in favour of using them.

If you don't hear from me again you'll know that the 1 person should have been listened to!

Thanks

Stompa
  • greentomato
    Yes, I'd use them. I always freeze sausages (I usually buy them reduced), and they rarely get used within a month. To be honest I've never thought about how long they've been in the freezer. As long as they are cooked properly they should be fine.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 5th Apr 06, 9:41 AM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Linda32
    That's 6 to 1 in favour of using them.

If you don't hear from me again you'll know that the 1 person should have been listened to!

Thanks

Stompa
    by Stompa

I'm the 1 Looks as if you'll be okay
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 5th Apr 06, 9:43 AM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    Lol ................
  • Heth
    I'd use them. We have never bothered checking how long things are in the freezer and have always been find. Since I have a tendency to hoard food in there I'm sure most things have been in longer than the packet recommends.
    • buses7675
    • By buses7675 5th Apr 06, 10:45 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    buses7675
    Hi All,

I can second (or its that tenth) that one!

We buy loads of sausages, mainly Richmond ones, whenever they are on BOGOF or a similar good offer, they often end up being in the freezer for months, and I've never ever noticed any difference between 'newly' frozen and one that have been in for ages!

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,712Posts Today

7,249Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin