Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 4th Apr 06, 9:35 PM
    • 2,388Posts
    • 2,234Thanks
    Zziggi
    Dill Pickle recipe
    • 4th Apr 06, 9:35 PM
    Dill Pickle recipe 4th Apr 06 at 9:35 PM
    I'm looking for a recipe that i hope someone will be able to help me with.

It's called "dill pickle" and is brownish and is like a chutney consistency. It's very sweet in taste. It tastes WONDERFUL with cheese or with poached salmon on bread. I've been able to identify the following ingrediants in it - finely chopped onions (probably made from a carmalised onion base??), mustard seeds, couple of bay leaves and lots of chopped dill.

Does anyone recognise this recipe? can anyone give me any pointer please? (tried google already - they all say use cucumbers. This pickle definitely doesn't have cucumbers in it!!)
    Last edited by Zziggi; 04-04-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Page 1
  • ChocClare
    • 4th Apr 06, 10:01 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 10:01 PM
    Hi Zziggi
    I'm possibly way off track here but it sounds to me like you want the flavour of a standard gravadlax sauce (sweet mustard and dill) in a chutney... I googled too and came up with zilcho, so it occurred to me, why not make a standard onion marmalade (for your chutney texture - very sweet, too) and flavour it with dill and mustard? There's a recipe for onion marmalade here - perhaps not make so much if you're not sure! - and you could then add in the flavourings: gravadlax sauce is basically a mayonnaise flavoured with dill, mustard and sugar, after all. I'd chop the dill into the warm onion marmalade, and stir in some mustard. You might not need any sugar at all, although you might need a dash of vinegar. Any good?
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 4th Apr 06, 10:25 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Zziggi
    • 4th Apr 06, 10:25 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 10:25 PM
    Hi Zziggi
    I'm possibly way off track here but it sounds to me like you want the flavour of a standard gravadlax sauce (sweet mustard and dill) in a chutney... I googled too and came up with zilcho, so it occurred to me, why not make a standard onion marmalade (for your chutney texture - very sweet, too) and flavour it with dill and mustard? There's a recipe for onion marmalade here - perhaps not make so much if you're not sure! - and you could then add in the flavourings: gravadlax sauce is basically a mayonnaise flavoured with dill, mustard and sugar, after all. I'd chop the dill into the warm onion marmalade, and stir in some mustard. You might not need any sugar at all, although you might need a dash of vinegar. Any good?
    by ChocClare

I've had a look at the link you posted and oooh - it sounds not far off what it is. Will read it more closely tomorrow. thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

1,831Users online

Martin's Twitter