Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 4th Apr 06, 5:00 PM
    • 4,736Posts
    • 15,803Thanks
    r.mac
    Inspiration from Granny
    • 4th Apr 06, 5:00 PM
    Inspiration from Granny 4th Apr 06 at 5:00 PM
    I have been feeling rather down over the last couple of days. A combination of debt worries, exam worries, lack of male influence :rolleyes: and general feeling sorry for myself.

Anyway, this morning I got sick and tired of studying and decided some cooking therapy was the way forward. After scanning my cooker books and mse printouts from OS, I can across a post-it with a recipe for grannys pancakes and it brought back a flood of memories. When I used to go to visit granny she would let me help her make these - it was a real treat and very easy. I felt so happy making a big batch then sitting down with a cuppa and scoffing them in front of a very exciting deal or no deal game. I just wanted to share the recipe with you all.

the recipe is

4tbsp SR flour
    2tbsp sugar
    1tsp baking powder
    1 egg
    milk

mix everything together, adding enough milk to make a pouring cream consistency. heat a girdle (sp) pan or a non-stick frying pan. use as little fat as possible to grease the pan. non stick requires no grease. add little dollops - technical term of mixture to pan. when bubbles rise to top, turn and cook for a few seconds on other side. keep warm in a clean tea towel until all mixture cooked. Eat with butter and jam or my favourite way - with nothing while still warm.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
Page 1
  • beezy
    • 4th Apr 06, 5:05 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 5:05 PM
    Thanks r.mac, think i will go and make some now, I love hot pancakes. Yummy
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Apr 06, 5:06 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 4th Apr 06, 5:06 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 5:06 PM
    Oooh,thanks for reminding me of childhood Saturday teatimes r.mac.My mum used to make Scotch pancakes as she called them.We had them with butter and golden syrup whilst watching the final score on Grandstand
  • LearningToSave.
    • 4th Apr 06, 6:26 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 6:26 PM
    ooohhhh thankyou for posting this!! seems idiot proof enough for me too tackle.....will try them for my dd's as a treat one day.
    • twink
    • By twink 4th Apr 06, 6:41 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 4th Apr 06, 6:41 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 6:41 PM
    i love pancakes too, my granny used to use the last of the batter to make like a gingerbread man shape, i do the same for my grandchildren
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,675Posts Today

7,600Users online

Martin's Twitter