Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • BenL
    • 22nd Jun 09, 2:11 PM
    • 22nd Jun 09, 2:11 PM
    We had a chat about it in another post a few months ago. It is against the t's & c's someone advised.

I volunteered to test the pre-loading and cash out when in France, the card didn't arrive in time though (and still hasn't).

It's been about 6 weeks so far!
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Chinkle
    • 22nd Jun 09, 2:46 PM
    • 22nd Jun 09, 2:46 PM
    Well at the very least I should get applying then!
  • NickX
    • 22nd Jun 09, 2:48 PM
    • 22nd Jun 09, 2:48 PM
    Well at the very least I should get applying then!
    Originally posted by Chinkle
    All the advice on here suggests you are best to apply in-branch. Online applications for the Santander Zero (previously Abbey Zero) cards appear to frequently suffer horrendous delays.

Good Luck.
    • td_007
    • By td_007 22nd Jun 09, 6:32 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    td_007
    • 22nd Jun 09, 6:32 PM
    • 22nd Jun 09, 6:32 PM
    Don't forget the 10 dormancy fees if you do not use it for 6 months. So unlike nationwide of post office card you cannot forget about the card after using it abroad you will have to keep it "live" by making a transaction at least once every 6 months.
  • Moggles
    • 22nd Jun 09, 7:52 PM
    • 22nd Jun 09, 7:52 PM
    This looks like a good card for overseas spending, so thinking of applying ahead of my hols. However, would be an even better deal if you could pre-load the card, so that it was in credit, thus avoiding interest on cash withdrawals.
    Santander will not allow you to take this risk.

Section 75 wouldn't apply if you spent from a positive balance, because technically it's not credit. Also, if your card were stolen, you wouldn't be covered for fraudulent transactions.

As above, it's safer to apply in branch. Online applications are still subject to long delays, apparently :rolleyes:
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Z0id.berg
    • 23rd Jun 09, 10:34 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 10:34 PM
    Has anyone applied for this card and not had to wait weeks for it to arrive? I go on my honeymoon in 7 weeks today so need it before then!
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 23rd Jun 09, 11:08 PM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 23rd Jun 09, 11:08 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 11:08 PM
    Has anyone applied for this card and not had to wait weeks for it to arrive? I go on my honeymoon in 7 weeks today so need it before then!
    Originally posted by Z0id.berg
    I applied online end of Feb. I got it by mid-March. Can't remember exact dates now. No problems at all. Before the card arrived I phoned them up and they were able to confirm that I had been approved and what the limit would be.

Only snag was I couldn't get the online system working before going away. Had to wait for the card to come first, then go online and wait something in the post. But really I had left it to the last minute - I think I applied within 3 weeks of my departure date.

So whilst overseas I rang them up to check balance/due dates etc.

Overall my impression is that they were fast, friendly and efficient. The call centre seemed to be locally based and I didn't have to wait long to get through.

Of course I'm aware of all the horror stories posted on MSE. Just didn't match my experience, that's all.
  • BenL
    • 24th Jun 09, 9:09 AM
    • 24th Jun 09, 9:09 AM
    I got my PIN lastnight so the card should be here in afew days.

You should be ok with 7 weeks if you apply online.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Joe65
    Santander will not allow you to take this risk.

Section 75 wouldn't apply if you spent from a positive balance, because technically it's not credit. Also, if your card were stolen, you wouldn't be covered for fraudulent transactions.

Originally posted by Moggles
    That's an interesting interpetation.

Sounds like something their call centre might have dreamed up though.

Wonder if it's ever been tested in the courts.
  • candyflipper
    However, would be an even better deal if you could pre-load the card so that it was in credit thus avoiding interest oncash withdrawals. I've checked the forums and some say that's allowed and others that it is against the T&C.

Can anyone clarify?
    You can do that with a Capital One (USD) card (which is also a card that is free of FX-fees).

I'm not sure if the cap one gbp card is the same.
  • Mr_Chumbley
    Originally posted by Z0id.berg
    I recently applied for one of these cards online, think it took about 3 weeks to arrive.

However - About 2.5wks in, I did call the check on how the application was progressing, only to be told they had no record of my application on their system - they are currently having 'issues' with their online system though, so probably just that - suggested I apply again online and hopefully it'll go through this time.

I arrived home that night to see the credit card had arrived in the post

Hopefully I just got a hopeless callhandler, but it is a touch concerning that their back office systems are quite what they should be...
  • willstewart
    I applied for one of these around 2 months ago online and have had no searches done or heard anything from them. I'm assuming I must have somehow failed their criteria in the first place for some unknown reason.
  • blowstar
    Overseas spend card
    This looks like a good card for overseas spending, so thinking of applying ahead of my hols.

However, would be an even better deal if you could pre-load the card so that it was in credit thus avoiding interest oncash withdrawals. I've checked the forums and some say that's allowed and others that it is against the T&C.

Can anyone clarify?
    There's a nastly little wrinkle in the credit/debit card system that if you over-load the card with pre-payments, for example ahead of holiday spending abroad, you are not covered for loss or fraud whilst the card is in credit.

Technically the card company only insures ITS money, not YOURS.

So if you lose the card abroad and someone uses it, or someone copies the number from a payment slip and uses it whilst the card is still in your possession, YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK from the card company.

Might this be covered by travel insurance? Haven't seen a test case but I'm fairly sure they'd also wriggle out of any obligation.
  • blowstar
    That's an interesting interpetation.

Sounds like something their call centre might have dreamed up though.

Wonder if it's ever been tested in the courts.
    Originally posted by Joe65
    not dreamed up by a call centre, explained to me in detail by a manager at MBNA.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th Apr 11, 12:29 PM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    There's a nastly little wrinkle in the credit/debit card system that if you over-load the card with pre-payments, for example ahead of holiday spending abroad, you are not covered for loss or fraud whilst the card is in credit.

Technically the card company only insures ITS money, not YOURS.

So if you lose the card abroad and someone uses it, or someone copies the number from a payment slip and uses it whilst the card is still in your possession, YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK from the card company.
    Originally posted by blowstar
    Not true....
    • christhedon
    • By christhedon 15th Sep 11, 6:21 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    christhedon
    Does anyone know what benchmark they use. One of the customer service representatives said Bank of england. But I checked

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mfsd/iadb/Rates.asp?Travel=NIxIRx&into=GBP

and it doesn't tally up to the statement. It also doesn't tie up to https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html.

As usual the rates on both those sites are more favourable to the customer...

Really they should provide a benchmark on the web that they use for exchange rates?
    • macalloa
    • By macalloa 14th Mar 12, 5:08 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    macalloa
    Santander pull their Zero current account
    Looks like Santander have dropped their Zero current account to new clients (even if they meet the savings criteria etc.) as of 5th March 2012.

This was the debit card account which had no fees when used abroad in ATMs.

No wonder Santander are regularly highlighted as UK's worst bank for customer service etc.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 14th Mar 12, 10:48 PM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    No wonder Santander are regularly highlighted as UK's worst bank for customer service etc.
    Originally posted by macalloa
    Not sure how this follows from the announcement.
    • andyt8
    • By andyt8 4th Apr 12, 12:47 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    andyt8
    Santander have also revised their T&C for existing holders of Zero accounts and included revised conditions which if you do not meet them then your Zero account will be transferred to another one (not specified which one).
    I am still with the old Abbey Cheque account and never changed but got a leaflet in the post from them today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,111Posts Today

8,550Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin