Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Jun 09, 10:08 AM
    • 30,037 Posts
    • 174,064 Thanks
    Karmacat
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:08 AM
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:08 AM
    I haven't had a proper holiday in ..... six years, I think. I've stayed with relatives, and a friend, but not what I used to call holidays - airfare/trainfare, plus a hotel, plus travel in the area and meals out, for six years
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Jun 09, 10:10 AM
    • 64,927 Posts
    • 381,119 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:10 AM
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:10 AM
    I've not had a holiday since 1995, never been abroad ... and even though this year I can afford it, I wouldn't enjoy it alone. So be grateful you're a couple.

I don't have debts, it's just that when you're single the cost of living is so high there's nothing left over to waste on luxuries ... when you might need the money a month later to fix a boiler or something.
  • mel19632
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:12 AM
    We haven't had a holiday for 5 years either
    Paying down the mortgage:
    At 1 October 2011: 226,000
    Currently: 224,499
    Aim: 85% LTV (212,500)
    Paid 1,500
    Target remaining: 88.89%
  • archived user
    I haven't had a proper holiday in ..... six years, I think. I've stayed with relatives, and a friend, but not what I used to call holidays - airfare/trainfare, plus a hotel, plus travel in the area and meals out, for six years
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Me or the other half have never had a holiday. The ironic thing is that in my youth I was really into foreign culture and travelling, I read books all about various countries and cultures, places to go, things to do and all the rest yet couldn't afford a night in a B&B down the road. I've met people who haven't had a holiday in a few years, but never anyone who hasn't had a holiday either at home or abroad apart from me and the OH, quite a match
    Last edited by nirelandguy; 21-06-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 21st Jun 09, 10:18 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:18 AM
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:18 AM
    We've been on around 6-7 holidays (all self-catering apart from one!) since we got married 22 years ago. Never abroad though. I see people going to Florida Disneyworld regularly and I can't understand how they can do it.

I prefer daytrips in the car. I like getting home to my own bed. I don't feel like i've missed out.
  • my mess
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:21 AM
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:21 AM
    I haven't had a holiday for 6 years now, and unlikely to for the next 5 at least.

Aiming to be debt-free, and have my degree, by 50 !
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Jun 09, 10:22 AM
    • 30,037 Posts
    • 174,064 Thanks
    Karmacat
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:22 AM
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:22 AM
    Me or the other half have never had a holiday. The ironic thing is that in my youth I was really into foreign culture and travelling, I read books all about various countries and cultures, places to go, things to do and all the rest yet couldn't afford a night in a B&B down the road. I've met people who haven't had a holiday in a few years, but never anyone who hasn't had a holiday either at home or abroad apart from me and the OH, quite a match
    Originally posted by nirelandguy
    Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm wondering how old you are? I mean, I'm a "mature" adult so what I'm about to suggest wouldn't be for me any more - but you might get a tent and a primus/bluet stove on freecycle, eventually, you could hitch to travel, you could check out free camping - i.e. just camping on common land or fields or whatever. Any relatives you could stay with?
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 21st Jun 09, 10:28 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:28 AM
    • 21st Jun 09, 10:28 AM
    Up until about 5 years ago my OH and me had never had a holiday..... 15 years, then we found the Sun newspaper hols and started on them for a few years. Last year we bought a caravan due to the dog and went but this year is a no no. The car is of the road and every time I see the caravan sat there I want to cry

I am not sure if it was a good idea to go on holiday, you don't miss what you haven't had
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
  • archived user
    Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm wondering how old you are? I mean, I'm a "mature" adult so what I'm about to suggest wouldn't be for me any more - but you might get a tent and a primus/bluet stove on freecycle, eventually, you could hitch to travel, you could check out free camping - i.e. just camping on common land or fields or whatever. Any relatives you could stay with?
    Originally posted by Karmacat

I'm 30. But there is time left yet, My parents never went anywhere until their 40's. Tried the camping route but she won't stay in a tent and relations all live local I often wish I had say a aunt who lived somewhere exotic that we could stay with every summer, nice cheap holiday But I suppose at the end of the day we have been scrimping and saving so long it would break my heart to shell out for a holiday anyway, I'd be thinking "Oh that money could buy us a new washing machine or pay the phone bill" It would be great to have enough money not to worry. We probably could afford a week somewhere in the UK but it would just be taking money from bills that need to be paid.
  • PinkTwirl
    I've not had a holiday since 1995, never been abroad ... and even though this year I can afford it, I wouldn't enjoy it alone. So be grateful you're a couple.

I don't have debts, it's just that when you're single the cost of living is so high there's nothing left over to waste on luxuries ... when you might need the money a month later to fix a boiler or something.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Yeah exactly, I can't afford it this year plus I'm single. I had someone quizzing me this week as to why I'm not going on holiday. Some people are really thick/nosey aren't they? The cost of living is very high when single, even on a good salary. All it takes is a 500 car service or new washing machine and it's a skint month on top of the mortgage, bills, petrol, food and trying to have a life!
  • archived user
    Up until about 5 years ago my OH and me had never had a holiday..... 15 years, then we found the Sun newspaper hols and started on them for a few years. Last year we bought a caravan due to the dog and went but this year is a no no. The car is of the road and every time I see the caravan sat there I want to cry

I am not sure if it was a good idea to go on holiday, you don't miss what you haven't had
    Originally posted by SueP19

Yes I think so, I don't know what I'm missing and it might be better leaving it that way.
  • archived user
    Yeah exactly, I can't afford it this year plus I'm single. I had someone quizzing me this week as to why I'm not going on holiday. Some people are really thick/nosey aren't they? The cost of living is very high when single, even on a good salary. All it takes is a 500 car service or new washing machine and it's a skint month on top of the mortgage, bills, petrol, food and trying to have a life!
    Originally posted by PinkTwirl

I certainly couldn't afford to live by myself, I'd be back home with my parents if I was single, but in saying that my parents would probably charge me as much in house keep as I would pay living by myself renting.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Jun 09, 10:37 AM
    • 19,573 Posts
    • 13,772 Thanks
    molerat
    Look at it this way, many of the people who do go away on exotic holidays cannot afford a holiday either
  • littlechezza
    I always feel guilty this time of year as friends take their children to foreign locations and we end up camping but I do think I'm the only person concerned about this as once we reach the campsite the kids love it and make new friends and have some freedom which we probably couldn't let them have abroad, is camping an option? you have to be careful with sites as some are pricey but you can get some bargains. I also get sick of people asking if we are going away when we have time off work!!! Surely people are allowed to just put holidays in and have day trips around where they live!!
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 21st Jun 09, 10:43 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Yes I think so, I don't know what I'm missing and it might be better leaving it that way.
    Originally posted by nirelandguy
    Sorry, I do think that if you are dealing with debts then a holiday is a good idea, all be it a cheap one. And it a great one for recharging the batteries..............lots of UK companies have late deals and Park Resorts seem to be the cheapest (static caravan) The local papers are good one for statics that people hire out. The Sun is a great deal and if you are mature with no kids they do tend to give you a good van. We went with my Mum and Dad a couple of years ago and we ended up with a gold star 2 year old van, I think they thought my M&D could be a potential buyer, hehehe!!!

I have promised my OH that if he gives up smoking then we can go next April
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
  • archived user
    I always feel guilty this time of year as friends take their children to foreign locations and we end up camping but I do think I'm the only person concerned about this as once we reach the campsite the kids love it and make new friends and have some freedom which we probably couldn't let them have abroad, is camping an option? you have to be careful with sites as some are pricey but you can get some bargains. I also get sick of people asking if we are going away when we have time off work!!! Surely people are allowed to just put holidays in and have day trips around where they live!!
    Originally posted by littlechezza
    Yes that really gets to me to. We have picnics, days at the beach and the kids are happy enough with that. But no camping isn't an option as my OH won't stay in a tent I love camping and wandering up mountains and through fields etc its great fun.
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 21st Jun 09, 10:53 AM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    We haven't been on holiday for a few years now, I was devestated the first year without cos I thought it was just normal, just we actually enjoyed making plans for a week full of fun stuff, picnics, trips to the park etc etc, every day we did something different.
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 21st Jun 09, 11:37 AM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    OH and I have never been away together even for a night and we have been together for nearly 8 years. I last time I went away to London for 5 nights in 1993 and he went to Cornwall for 2 weeks in 1990. Neither of us have ever been abroad.

I dont feel like I am missing out though - I couldnt justify the cost at the moment. I prefer cheap days out and sleeping in my own bed!x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • Slayerx
    • By Slayerx 21st Jun 09, 11:57 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Slayerx
    For me its go on holiday or try get myself debt free and I know if the long run when i'm debt free then I will be able to afford one out right and so it will be an even better holiday
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 065

Savins Goal - 5500/3500
    Current Debt 1314
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,512Posts Today

7,951Users online

Martin's Twitter