Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    Another Question About Potatoes!!
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:03 AM
    Another Question About Potatoes!! 2nd Apr 06 at 7:03 AM
    Morning everyone

I've just found an unopened 2.5kg bag of potatoes in my cupboard, they have sprouted slightly but still look ok so I want to use them.

As I'm doing Sunday lunch today I thought I could make extra roasties then freeze the ones we don't shovel down our necks. I also thought I could make a cheese and potatoe pie with the rest of the potatoes and freeze that for dinner in the week.

My questions are:

How do I reheat the roasties when I want to cook them?
    Do I bake the cheese and potato pie first, wait for it to cool and then freeze? And if so, how do I reheat?
    Or do I not bake the pie now, but just freeze it when the mash has cooled?

Sorry it's so early but the sun streaming through our window woke me up so I thought I'd MSE early!!
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
Page 1
  • MrsMW
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:32 AM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:32 AM
    I just reheat roasties in the oven for about 30 mins. or until they look done and I would just freeze the pie uncooked and then cook from frozen which would probably take about 40-50 mins.
    Know what you mean about the sun although it seems a bit chilly.
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 2nd Apr 06, 7:36 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:36 AM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:36 AM
    Morning!
    I would agree with MrsMW about the roasties but I would probably just make mash and freeze it. Then you can use it any way you want when you defrost it.
    How do you make cheese and potato pie anyway? It sounds lovely.
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:54 AM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 7:54 AM
    Thanks Otterspasm.

I got the recipe from my mum:

Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water, then drain thoroughly.
    Add margarine/butter, plenty of salt and pepper, and mash until smooth. Add cheese (reserving some for the crust) and beat until cheese has melted.
    Transfer to a large greased bowl and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven at 200C for about an hour, until the top of the pie is golden and bubbling.

I tend to serve it with baked beans but suppose you could have anything with it really!!
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 2nd Apr 06, 8:00 AM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    • 2nd Apr 06, 8:00 AM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 8:00 AM
    Sprouty potatoes are fine, organic ones nearly allways sprout as they are not sprayed with sprout inhibertor.

They will be fine, for some time.
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 2nd Apr 06, 9:10 AM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    • 2nd Apr 06, 9:10 AM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 9:10 AM
    Yes, sprouty potatoes are fine, it's only if they turn green you need to throw them out - I can't remember what they call the poisoning when potatoes turn green?

If are going to make cheese and potatoe pie (especially if you've got cheese in the fridge you want to use) you can make it and freeze it once it has cooled no problem.
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 2nd Apr 06, 9:58 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 2nd Apr 06, 9:58 AM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 9:58 AM
    if it takes 30mins to reheat roasties, just par boil them and freeze them like that, they only take about 30mins to cook but then you can also change you mind and turn them into mash or whatever else you want.

I wish the sun would stay out!!

x
  • Queenie
    • 2nd Apr 06, 12:43 PM
    • 2nd Apr 06, 12:43 PM
    ... they have sprouted slightly but still look ok so I want to use them.
    by Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    Some more ideas for using up sprouting potatoes can be found in this thread:
    Sprouting Spuds ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • streetgirl74
    • 12th Apr 06, 7:24 AM
    • 12th Apr 06, 7:24 AM
    if it takes 30mins to reheat roasties, just par boil them and freeze them like that, they only take about 30mins to cook but then you can also change you mind and turn them into mash or whatever else you want.

I wish the sun would stay out!!

x
    by Murtle

How long do you par boil the potatoes for, do you put them in a pot or bags in the freezer and do you cook them from frozen or defrost them first?
    Sorry for all the questions
    One more thing....how long will they last in the freezer, thanks.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 12th Apr 06, 7:31 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I par boil mine for about 5 - 10 minutes, and i normally roast them before freezing them as well, then i just have to put them in the oven for about 30 mins straight from the freezer, and they are lovely. I would guess you can store them in the freezer for about 3 months, i think thats what shop bought frozen potatoes have as a guideline on them. Mind you, i have frozen all sorts for longer than the recomendations before, and have always been fine!!!!
  • halloweenqueen
    How long would you roast the potatoes for that you want to freeze? I've thought about making some to shove in the freezer for days when i'm feeling lazy!
    DD doesn't like mash potatoes so thats out!
    Cheese and potato pie was one of the things we made in cookery at school!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 12th Apr 06, 7:51 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    How long would you roast the potatoes for that you want to freeze? I've thought about making some to shove in the freezer for days when i'm feeling lazy!
    DD doesn't like mash potatoes so thats out!
    Cheese and potato pie was one of the things we made in cookery at school!
    by halloweenqueen
    When i do my roasties, i always cook extra, and freeze them fully cooked, the next sunday take them out of the freezer, straight into the oven for about 30 mins, they go slightly darker, but still come out lovely and crispy!!!!
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 12th Apr 06, 7:57 AM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    Been wondering about freezing roasties - thanks for tips everyone.
  • mags50
    Yes, sprouty potatoes are fine, it's only if they turn green you need to throw them out - I can't remember what they call the poisoning when potatoes turn green?

If are going to make cheese and potatoe pie (especially if you've got cheese in the fridge you want to use) you can make it and freeze it once it has cooled no problem.
    by TOBRUK
    The green parts of potatoes are caused by 2 toxins called solanine and aflatoxin, they can both affect the nervous system..... but you have to eat huge quantities to be affected so I wouldn't worry about eating a few bits.

HTH

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

390Posts Today

4,421Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin