Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muddled_midget
    • By muddled_midget 31st Mar 06, 8:41 PM
    • 189Posts
    • 524Thanks
    muddled_midget
    White sprouting??
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:41 PM
    White sprouting?? 31st Mar 06 at 8:41 PM
    Hi
    I'm hoping someone will be able to help, I've just had my organic veg box delivered, and I have a big brown bag of what I assume is white sprouting (or should that be purple and white sprouting?) It's on long stems with little white heads and some fairly large leaves...
    Can anyone confirm what it is (I'm only guessing as they send us a list of all the stuff they have on the farm and this sounds about right) and then tell me what I should do with it. Would be good to have it with some of the other veggies (potato, carrot, parsnip, leek, onion, cauliflower).
    Thanks
    MM
    2 Coin Savers Club 14 (joined 18/2/06)
Page 1
    • RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 31st Mar 06, 9:22 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    • 31st Mar 06, 9:22 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 9:22 PM
    Hiya muddled Midget

Well here is a challenge!

Might it be white sprouting Brocolli? Anything like this?

My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    • muddled_midget
    • By muddled_midget 31st Mar 06, 9:48 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    muddled_midget
    • 31st Mar 06, 9:48 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 9:48 PM
    Hiya muddled Midget

Well here is a challenge!

Might it be white sprouting Brocolli? Anything like this?

by RacyRed
    That's the one!! Now what do I do with it? Just boil it like normal brocolli, or does it get some kind of special treatment?
    2 Coin Savers Club 14 (joined 18/2/06)
  • krishna
    • 31st Mar 06, 10:39 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 10:39 PM
    does very well steamed or sauteed. You can use the whole thing, leaves, stems and flower heads. Sometimes the central stems can be a bit chewy, in which case you may need to remove the "skin" from the stem, but often it is quite tender and very palatable.
    • serena
    • By serena 1st Apr 06, 8:38 AM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 41,209 Thanks
    serena
    • 1st Apr 06, 8:38 AM
    • 1st Apr 06, 8:38 AM
    I tried posting last night. but forgot I was on my son's laptop, and not signed on in my own name!

I grow white sprouting broccoli. It hadn't occurred to me before that you never see it for sale. It isn't such an eye catching colour of course, so probably less shelf appeal.

The flower buds can be tender and mush when cooking, so it's excellent to steam, and with the end of the stalk removed, I have stir fried it too.
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,336Posts Today

7,971Users online

Martin's Twitter