Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melt71
    • By melt71 30th Mar 06, 9:33 PM
    • 579Posts
    • 682Thanks
    melt71
    how to roast a whole chicken?
    • 30th Mar 06, 9:33 PM
    how to roast a whole chicken? 30th Mar 06 at 9:33 PM
    Did my monthly shop for April tonight and managed to get 2 whole chickens for a quid each.

I've never roasted a whole chicken before (yes really!) so any tips of how to get it cooked to perfection and as tasty as possible?

Ideas;
    I have lots of herbs and spices, lemon, lime, lots of veg, olive oil, butter, garlic, bacon, white wine, honey etc
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 30th Mar 06, 9:52 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 30th Mar 06, 9:52 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 9:52 PM
    I usually stick an onion and/or a lemon in the body, butter under the skin when I AM NOT ON A DIET, sage in or on it. Put it in a baking dish/ roasting tin and stick it in a hot oven on full for 20 mins....then turn the heat down, should tell you on the packaging how much it weighs and possibly how long to cook it for. I turn the heat to gas mark 5 and cook it till the juices run clear.

Nice crispy skin and lovely moist meat enjoy.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • sunnth
    • By sunnth 30th Mar 06, 10:03 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    sunnth
    • 30th Mar 06, 10:03 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 10:03 PM
    I usually put half a lemon inside the chicken then blob some butter on the top and/or drizzle some olive oil over the top. Rosemary or sage are good herbs to add and a little salt and pepper. Then I cook it in a very hot oven, gas 7, I usually do a 1.2 -1.5kg chicken for about 1hr 15 mins - 1hr 30 mins. Stick a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh to check the juices are clear. I cook on a high heat because the skin becomes really crispy and the flesh is still juicy. The most important thing though is to let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes after coming out of the oven, I usually leave it for up to 30mins covered with cling film. Sometimes I squeeze more lemon juice over the chicken when it comes out of the oven - depends on how lemony you like it.
    • melt71
    • By melt71 31st Mar 06, 8:26 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:26 AM
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:26 AM
    Thanks very much to both of you. That seems reasonably easy! I'll give it a go and see what results I get.

Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • black-saturn
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:37 AM
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:37 AM
    You can put it in the slow cooker if you have one for about 4 hours with a little water and a few herbs in the bottom. The meat just falls off then.
    • melt71
    • By melt71 31st Mar 06, 8:38 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:38 AM
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:38 AM
    Unfortunately I haven't got a slow cooker so I'll have to stick to the normal cooking method, thanks anyway.
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 31st Mar 06, 8:40 AM
    • 9,961 Posts
    • 13,249 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:40 AM
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:40 AM
    If we aren't feeling adventurous, we just pop it in the oven, follow the times on the back of the label and crumble a chicken OXO cube on the skin.

It's getting the roast tatties right, at the same time to eat with the chicken...that's the real art!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 31st Mar 06, 8:41 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:41 AM
    I normally just put it into a tray, and roast until golden and the juices run clear, when i stick a knife in the thigh!!!! I use the chicken juices to baste it every half an hour, and then add any flavours afterwards (lemon chicken for example) if i want to, or use the juices to make a lovely gravy!!!! I love roast chicken just as it is!!!!!
    • melt71
    • By melt71 31st Mar 06, 8:41 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    I never thought of an oxo cube, so thanks!
  • rchddap1
    Actually have a chicken to do myself at some point. There's only 2 of us and I decided to get one and give it a go....but haven't had the time as yet to sort it out. Hopefully I'll be able to do it in about a week's time. It'll free some much needed space in the freezer....until I return the remnants that is (possibly in the form of a pie)
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • melt71
    • By melt71 31st Mar 06, 8:44 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    Thanks Catherine, I'm getting hungry now with all these lovely suggestions. I think putting the flavourings on at the end is a good idea as I'm cooking for 3 different meals; roast, chicken curry and then probably chinese chicken & noodles so I don't want the flavourings to be too obvious.
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 31st Mar 06, 8:50 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    Very simply a chicken will cook at about 20 minutes per pound or 45 minutes per kilo + 20 minutes for the oven at Gas mark 5 or 180C. The juices will run clear and not pink when coooked

As a new starter you do not have to do anything to the bird first except have a look inside it for a plastic bag full of bits (Do remove it!!!!). They will roast better on a rack in a roasting pan, you can also roast them upside down too. I would suggest you get the hang of it first before getting all advanced with additional flavourings - Good luck with experimenting.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 31st Mar 06, 9:49 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Very simply a chicken will cook at about 20 minutes per pound or 45 minutes per kilo + 20 minutes for the oven at Gas mark 5 or 180C. The juices will run clear and not pink when coooked

As a new starter you do not have to do anything to the bird first except have a look inside it for a plastic bag full of bits (Do remove it!!!!). They will roast better on a rack in a roasting pan, you can also roast them upside down too. I would suggest you get the hang of it first before getting all advanced with additional flavourings - Good luck with experimenting.
    by Mr Proctalgia
    Thats something else i do, with all poultry, i roast them upside down for the first half an hour, i have a cake rack that fits in my roasting tin, and i often put the meat on that, so that the skin doesnt stick to the bottom of the tin.
  • bulchy
    If your not on a diet, and putting some butter under the skin, try adding some crushed garlic and mixed herbs to the butter, its delicious, making my mouth water just thinking about it. My kids love the leftover chicken sandwiches in there packed lunches the next day.
    Sue
  • stumpjumper
    we cook small whole chickens by drizzling oil over the skin, seasoning with salt, pepper and mild curry powder, then pop in a baking tray in a 230 degree C oven for 45 mins. Comes out perfect every time!
  • bulchy
    mmm Stumpjumper, that sounds delicious.
    Sue
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 31st Mar 06, 12:03 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    angela110660
    I heard this one (Gordon Ramsay I think) and I do it every time and the meat stays so moist and lovely - COOK IT UPSIDE DOWN !! That is, take it out of the wrapping and turn it over before you put it in the tin. I also put it on a rack in the tray so that it does not sit swimming in its own fat and juices. Cover with a bit of foil until the last 20 mins of cooking time and hey presto...
    By the way, I now buy a chicken each week to cook for butties rather than expensive packets of ham and the family love it.
    • melt71
    • By melt71 31st Mar 06, 12:24 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    [Quote] By the way, I now buy a chicken each week to cook for butties rather than expensive packets of ham and the family love it. [Quote]

What a great idea, I'll try this one and see how it comes out and then I may do that. Especially if I can get some cheap offers like the two I got yesterday. It would be very cheap indeed
    • GingerSte
    • By GingerSte 31st Mar 06, 1:00 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    GingerSte
    That's a good idea about cooking them upside down. I'll have to try it! I will also try the garlic butter thing as well.

I usually end up getting 3 chickens a month (3 for a fiver at my local butchers), and freezing 2 of them.

When cooking I usually chop up a leek and a couple of carrots and stick them on the bottom of the dish, with the ckicken on top and 2 chicken oxo cubes. It saves on washing up the extra pan and the veggies always seem to taste better done that way.

Does anyone have any more good ideas about which herbs and spices would go well with chicken?
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 31st Mar 06, 1:54 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    When we say "Cook the Chicken Upside Down" to whose perspective are we referring to - The Chooks or ours??? (Being as they are already Tummy Up when you buy them)
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter