Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 30th Mar 06, 3:37 PM
    • 332Posts
    • 109Thanks
    Shamish
    Aubergines - feeding toddlers
    • 30th Mar 06, 3:37 PM
    Aubergines - feeding toddlers 30th Mar 06 at 3:37 PM
    Hiya,

Please can anybody let me know if it's okay to keep the black part on an aubergine if feeding to a 7 month old toddler?

I have cooked for myself and leave it on but only once before so unsure about preparing this for a kid.

Also does anybody have any other suggestions for food for 7 months?

Have been feeding them (there twins ) Apple, Pear and Bannana as well as Potatoe and Carrot all blended in the blender any other suggestions would be great
Page 1
    • FunkyFairy
    • By FunkyFairy 30th Mar 06, 4:03 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    FunkyFairy
    • 30th Mar 06, 4:03 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 4:03 PM
    http://farleyscloserbynature.co.uk/content/baby_7_to_12_months/feeding_your_baby.aspx

have a few recipies.

I fed my children pretty much anything at that age. I know you are not allowed to give honey until 1 year and seafood until 2 years.

At this age you should be giving lumpy food and finger foods.

So things like toast, carrot sticks are ideal

I use to just mush up what we were eating at this age
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 30th Mar 06, 4:16 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    • 30th Mar 06, 4:16 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 4:16 PM
    Thanks Fairy

We had been giving them lumpy jar foods but trying to save for our holiday so doing stuff like this and blending it but trying to keep it as lump as possible.

They were 2 months premature so we're still unsure about giving too much finger foods. But they do enjoy there rusks

Thanks

Shamish
  • finc
    • 30th Mar 06, 5:31 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 5:31 PM
    My son loved butternut squash. You can either boil it then mash it up with a potato masher or roast it in the oven.

I used to roast it with some peppers and carrot then puree it to make a sauce adding milk if it's a bit thick. I bought the tiny pasta shapes and added these as the lumps to the sauce. He ate this regularly as he loved it and added other veg that I had in for variety. It freezes well as well.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 30th Mar 06, 5:56 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 30th Mar 06, 5:56 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 5:56 PM
    I look after a little girl who was born at 28 weeks. We were told to treat her exactly like any other child her age, so at 7 months, she was given fingers of toast, carrot, slightly lumpy food etc. She did have a few probs at first with the lumpy food, but she loved holding food herself and gradually got better with the lumpy food. It is def worth persisting!!!
    With my two, once they got to about 7 months, i used to blend up basically whatever we had, and gave them that!!!! Like funky fairy says, there are a few things they advise not to give them (such as seafood) but most things are ok.
  • SammyD
    • 30th Mar 06, 8:24 PM
    • 30th Mar 06, 8:24 PM
    Hiya,

Please can anybody let me know if it's okay to keep the black part on an aubergine if feeding to a 7 month old toddler?

I have cooked for myself and leave it on but only once before so unsure about preparing this for a kid.

Also does anybody have any other suggestions for food for 7 months?

Have been feeding them (there twins ) Apple, Pear and Bannana as well as Potatoe and Carrot all blended in the blender any other suggestions would be great
    by Shamish

I have a seven month old as well as a two year old...I wouldn't feed the baby the skin of the aubergine as it is quite indigestible. My favourite recipies for both my children are:

spinach pasta - just put a handful of pasta into boil, then towards the end add a couple of frozen spinach cubes. When cooked whizz it up with some cream cheese, then add enough milk (or formula) to make it sloppy enough. Works well with peas and brocalli as well if you don't have spinach. I also used to add a cube of tofu to give a bit more protein.

lentil and sweet potato - cut about half a sweet potato into cubes and put onto boil with a couple spoons of red lentils. When soft, whizz it up, add a little bit of cream cheese or cheese if you like, and again, add milk to make it the right consistency. You can vary the vegetables if sweet potato is too expensive or not available - works well with potato or carrot as well. The lentils give protein.

Both these recipies are useful for both my children, if I am doing them for my older son I just get his portion out before I blend it.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 31st Mar 06, 8:19 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:19 AM
    • 31st Mar 06, 8:19 AM
    All of my kids' food was hm apart from the freebies and the odd jar when we were out.
    Faves were weetabix mixed with banana, rusk with banana, sweet potato, red lentils and garlic, rice with a little cheese mixed in, mashed potato with spinach, garlic or carrot, or a combination of any of these. Cheesy peas even!
    Dont forget it is normal for littlun to spit food out and this is not always a sign they dont like it. Ds at this age enjoyed a dish of chicken in cream and white wine sauce and has had gourmet tastes ever since!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • mamaoba
    • 31st Mar 06, 11:50 AM
    • 31st Mar 06, 11:50 AM
    My son was under a nutritionist as he's allergic to dairy so all these are "approved" iykwim.

All are made by cooking and then blitzing with a 5 value handblender to the required consistency. It was great and saved me a fortune. I'd make a batch and freeze into small containers (value tupperware 35p a baby food size container ). This meant I knew EXACTLY what he was eating.

Butternut squash and butterbeans +Onions and cabbage

Chicken stew - Organic Chicken Green lentilsOats, barley Brussels spouts Onions Peas sweetcorn

Sweet potato and red lentils one of his faves!

Sweet Potato and aduki beans + onion +carrot

spinach and any root vegtable + chickpeas

Baked apple and banana

Brekkie used to be porridge or babyrice with a homemade fruit puree. i used to freeze the fruit purees in icecube trays with lids and then just pop a cube in flaour the rice or porridge. Also did this with any new food being introduced so that i could check for possible reactions iykwim. Stewed pears were his fave, closely followed by apple, apricots or plums. I used the veggies that were in season as far as possible for freshness and highest nutritional value. Don't give citrus till abit later.
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 31st Mar 06, 7:05 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    • 31st Mar 06, 7:05 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 7:05 PM
    Thanks these are excellent suggestions and will definately give them a try.

Any idea on defrosting any extra food thats been frozen can you put it in hot water to boil as my wife suggests, or as i think leave it out to defrost like you would meat?

Thanks

Shamish
  • chivers1977
    Hi, have a look at www.cookingforchildren.co.uk This is the annabel karmel website. She has a range of great books that you can probably get out at the library. You should be giving meat and fish at that age too. I have a 9 month old! Try fish fingers (with or without crumbs), chicken, sweet potato, carrot and leek wizzed up or pasta made with tagietelle (sp!) broken up small before you cook it, passata, red onion cut up fine and then stir in philadelphia or lidls own (picfresh) at the end. These are two firm favourites. Also when you are cooking your own meals, don't add salt and then just wizz up. Roast dinners are great as you can add loads of diff veg, potatoes, some meat and some water and it is yummy for them. Just on an aside and no criticism, rusks do have loads of sugar even the reduced sugar ones. Try the baby organix goodies range of buscuits and baby crisps/ snacks. They are suagr free and just sweetened with juice. Another one I have tried which isn't OS really but is great when you can't even be bothered to get food out of the freezer is peter rabbit pasta shapes in sauce. they are wholewheat and no sugar or salt and are really soft so you can cut them up as small as you want. I agree with toast, jacob loves it esp with some lidl dairylea on it.
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • chivers1977
    re defrosting. I freeze either in avent via cups or tesco value post (35p) and microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 mins, stand then stir and it is always been fine.
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 1st Apr 06, 5:41 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    Thanks for the tip's chivers will check out the website when i'm back from the football

Scottish Cup Semi Final day today :d

Have you defrosted using the microwave with meat or chicken or just normally veg?

We've tried them with Organic Biscotis (sp?) though to be honest we dont give them that much. Though going to have to give them more fingers foods

We were quite suprised that our son who is'nt as advance as his big sister (well big by a minute LOL) but when it came to eating hand foods he was better than her. Even though his sister spends all day taking her dummy out and putting it back in again LOL.

Thanks once again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,482Posts Today

7,763Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin