Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myrnahaz
    • By myrnahaz 28th Mar 06, 12:51 PM
    • 1,097Posts
    • 686Thanks
    myrnahaz
    What is Lard used for?
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:51 PM
    What is Lard used for? 28th Mar 06 at 12:51 PM
    Am I missing out on something OS? I thought lard was a banned substance?

I heard a young guy call out to his wife in Asda 'do we need lard' and she shouted back 'no, we're ok for lard'. Why would they need lard - they only looked about 20 years old (though they had a definite look of the 'bad option' from 'honey we're killing the kids').
Page 1
  • wigginsmum
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:54 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:54 PM
    I do my roast potatoes in lard sometimes. And I put a block of lard in the hole when planting roses.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 28th Mar 06, 12:55 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:55 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:55 PM
    My mum uses lard for her pastry, i use 50/50 with marg (or butter, depends on how healthy im feeling!!!)
  • aliasojo
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:56 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:56 PM
    I put a block of lard in the hole when planting roses.
    by wigginsmum
    Oh my, that's a new one on me. What does it do exactly?
    Herman - MP for all!
  • wigginsmum
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:59 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 12:59 PM
    Same as manure; it feeds 'em and they thrive on it - roses are greedy beggars. If I don't have lard I use fish blood & bone.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 28th Mar 06, 1:05 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:05 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:05 PM
    Lard can be used in pastry and also is great for cooking roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings in. You just put it in the tins in the oven and get it really hot and then pour in your yorkshire pudding batter or pop in your roasties.

It's not the healthiest options as it's saturated fat but I believe that as an occasional thing it is probably better than margarines which are processed and mostly have 'evil' hydrogenated veg oils in
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 28th Mar 06, 1:06 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:06 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:06 PM
    I'm with catowen...50/50 with marge or butter makes for a lovely crispy pastry...don't tend to use it for anything else though, usually use olive oil for cooking, gives roast potatoes and wedgies a lovely flavour and crunch.
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 28th Mar 06, 1:08 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:08 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:08 PM
    I thought it was used in pasty and also for greasing cake tins
  • black-saturn
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:12 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:12 PM
    I dont use lard but I do use dripping for chips. I melt about a matchbox sized piece in the bottom of the baking tray and cook the chips in the oven.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Mar 06, 1:39 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Dripping is the best thing for chips-yum.

I'm with Otterspasm,not the healthiest thing around but occasional pastry making,and definitely better than hydrogenated veg oil

I've never heard of the gardening thing though-wow,the things you learn here!
  • Queenie
    ... (though they had a definite look of the 'bad option' from 'honey we're killing the kids').
    by myrnahaz
    You can't make *real* pastry w/out lard and you definately can't make roast potatoes or *real* Yorkshire pudding without proper dripping.

Oopsie - must sign myself up for HWKTK!!

If anyone followed the true old fashioned maxim of: " A little of what you fancy does you good" instead of the modern affliction of "gluttony" in most things ... we wouldn't have such an obesity/health time bomb on our hands.

Lard per se is not harmful if used in moderation and wisely. Nor is salt, or many other things on the *bad* list. And if it *is* used in moderation and wisely, it does not make us bad people or bad parents or contagious
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • bootcampbilly
    Many years ago when we had an open fire, my mum used old lard on the fire
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 28th Mar 06, 5:57 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Actually - I think lard is lower in calories than butter (if only slightly)

I make my mince pie pastry with lard - it makes them so light Anyway - I'm with some of the others with regards to hydrogenated veg oils - don't use them and don't buy margarine.
  • kittiwoz
    So hydrogenated vegtable oils in margarine are really evil and I am in fact being healthier by using butter? Fantastic! Marge tastes gross.
  • xueta
    Old-fashioned fish and chips deep fried in lard
    • rammy007
    • By rammy007 28th Mar 06, 10:29 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    rammy007
    it never did any of my grandparents any harm and they are all a good age,its all the other c**p that they put in food these days that causes problems there is more obese people these days than there was when my nan was younger a bit of lard never hurt them
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 29th Mar 06, 6:30 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    The other thing our grandparents' generation did that we don't so much was to get a lot more exercise.Exercise used to be an inbuilt part of life,now it's something we choose to do.

I'm sure if someone imposed rationing on me and took away my car I'd lose weight and get fit no problem!

I'm not suggesting rationing is desirable or that people who lived through it enjoyed it,but I'm sure it would do me no end of good
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 29th Mar 06, 7:10 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    My Nan always used to have clotted cream on her table, with all meals. Personally, i prefer it with a pud, but there you go!!!! She will only use lard for her roasties and pastry!!!
    Im with most posters as well, i always use butter, although i do sometimes use stork margarine in some baking, but have been thinking about stopping that, due to the HVfs!!!!
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 29th Mar 06, 7:17 AM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    a banned substance

Sorry that just made me
  • Lyndsay_21
    stork margarine in some baking, but have been thinking about stopping that, due to the HVfs!!!!
    I didnt think stork (in the tub) didn't have any HVF's in it. But the one in the wrapper does. am i wrong? i hope not cos i've just bought a big tub of it...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,550Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin