Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• The above Canadian scammers have come out off hibernation and are trying it on again. I have today received my congratulations document asking for £14.95 so I can receive some rubbish pearl earrings and a cheque for £550,000! more shredded paper for the compost bin.
  • This forum is all about people spam baiting, and email to and from the scammer.It's quite funny reading.:D
  • has any one heard of thecommunity awards register as it has taken 9pounds from my wifes phone promising she had won a prize
  • This forum is all about people spam baiting, and email to and from the scammer.It's quite funny reading.:D

as is http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/ which is hilarious!
  • nedboy1960 wrote: »
    has any one heard of thecommunity awards register as it has taken 9pounds from my wifes phone promising she had won a prize

Scam, I'm afraid ( I also had a letter from them yesterday - dated 14 January - which I've just recovered from the recycling bin to confirm it was the same as yours)
  • Fritha_2
    Fritha_2 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    claire738 wrote: »
    Got a letter today to my address with no name just "Mr/Mrs"

Inside theres a note saying "Congratulations This number has drawn one of the gifts donated by local business"

Gives a number which says normal telephone rate under it and a hand written code.

There is a second note that says "with compliments Survey UK" and the address:

Matters Consulting Ltd t/a Survey UK
    Victoria House
    1 Gloucester Road
    Cheltenham
    Gloucestershire
    GL51 8LN

Googled address and found this;

"Trading Standards Advice - Chrissie Bridge - 29th Jan 07

I have received an enquiry from a NHW member who has received an email from a Company called Matters Consulting Ltd, t/a Survey UK of Cheltenham, www.surveygifts.co.uk.

The email informs them that they are entitled to a gift donated by a local business (no name given).

They quote a gift confirmation number which can either be telephoned through or by logging onto their website.

Trading Standards have confirmed they have heard of this Company - they are trying to get people to join a gym by giving a free gift of a manicure or pedicure and supposedly cheaper membership to the Gym Club."

So anyone who recieves anything from this company beware.

Just thought I'd quote this to say that they appear to have changed their name to Universal Consulting t/a National Surveys. I got one from them this morning. Since googling the number got me nowhere but googling the postcode brought me here the number on my letter is 01744470037.

Hope that helps someone.
    Comping, freebieing and trying to pay the mortgage off early!
  • Universal Consulting Ltd t/a National Surveys are now targetting Shrewsbury quoting Tel No 01743 770026. Scam exactly as detailed above.
  • i also have had the same in the droitwich area, look up scamnesty on google, they are local bins situated in council offices take your suspected scam letter there and drop it in, if it is a scam you will have literally dropped them in it.
  • gp2010
    gp2010 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Got a call today from someone saying they were calling from the new Radisson in Malta and that i'd won a holiday - all sounded great until they mentioned the £49.95 admin fee!!

Its probably not a new one, but just in case, thought it best to mention it
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    gp2010 wrote: »
    Got a call today from someone saying they were calling from the new Radisson in Malta and that i'd won a holiday - all sounded great until they mentioned the £49.95 admin fee!!

Its probably not a new one, but just in case, thought it best to mention it
    We stayed there 2008 ...very respectable 5* hotel...or so we thought...we were accosted 1 evening just before we entered the dining room, we honestly thought the woman was a member of the hotel staff , she asked if we would like to visit another hotel on the other side of the island for a ' look around' and then maybe next time we visited Malta we could say there at a better rate by booking direct, implied it was part of the same group , we love Malta so were interested in looking at other 5* hotels..never thought it was 'holiday ownership/timeshare' for one moment ...but it was., turns out the Radisson has one floor devoted to timeshare suites....we were very annoyed,and did not stay there again...we then stayed at the Phoenicia Valetta 2010, and no probs there at all, but beware do not go to Bugibba or you will be pestered to death by the same touts...we used the old bus to get there, were accosted immediately we alighted , walked on and were accosted 10 times in 30 minutes...got back on another bus and left ...aaaarrgghh! Wish this sort of thing could be banned totally by tourist authorities..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback