Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 8th Mar 04, 5:29 PM
    • 1,324Posts
    • 703Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    New fridge 50 or new fridge/freezer 75
    • 8th Mar 04, 5:29 PM
    New fridge 50 or new fridge/freezer 75 8th Mar 04 at 5:29 PM
    If you receive a qualifying benefit or tax credit and own an inefficient or damaged fridge or fridge/freezer, you may be entitled to a replacement from Currys under the Fridgesaver scheme being run in conjunction with Powergen.

For full details, visit www.currys.co.uk and click on Fridgesaver scheme under Promotions on the right hand side.

(insert from martin - if you can't find it on the website, hopefully calling 0800 512012 should get you an application form)

Page 1
  • Sarahsaver
    • 12th Mar 04, 1:52 PM
    Re: New fridge 50 or new fridge/freezer 75
    • 12th Mar 04, 1:52 PM
    WOW everyone should know about this its fantastic, what an offer i just completed the form online and got accepted, my old fridge freezer has a mind of its own so this is great
    If you are on benefits go for it! if not tell everyone who you know whos on benefits
  • archived user
    • 15th Mar 04, 3:11 PM
    • 15th Mar 04, 3:11 PM
    The offer seems really good until you see the size of the fridgefreezer, not really big enough for a family of 5 is it, my freezer is the same size as the fridge, even thou i qualify its not big enuff, but still a good find.
    • Firefly
    • By Firefly 31st Mar 04, 1:16 AM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Firefly
    • 31st Mar 04, 1:16 AM
    • 31st Mar 04, 1:16 AM
    My fridge/freezer gave up the ghost and I was panicking about what to do, not having extra cash to buy a replacement. I was delighted to read this post and to find out that I was eligible too!

Although the fridge is small and the freezer section almost non-existant, it's better than no fridge at all!

An extra money saving tip is NOT to let Curry's convince you into paying 25 to take your old fridge away when they deliver the new one, my local council will collect mine Free of Charge! A quick phone call to the local council offices letting them know the old fridge is just inside my gate and it will be gone within 10 working days! FREE
  • Sarahsaver
    • 31st Mar 04, 5:48 PM
    • 31st Mar 04, 5:48 PM
    AND...its better to have a smaller fridge/freezer so you dont have a pile of things lurking in there long after they ought to. Forces you to think about what you really need. Me and my 3 kids VERY rarely have ready prepared meals, and every now and then have a little stash of the tesco value tins to use when we're in a hurry - never underestimate the usefulness of tinned food! And baked beans are healthy
    I got my freezer voucher and im looking forward to getting it, thanks for the removal tip i think my council charges for that but less than Currys does.
  • archived user
    • 3rd Apr 04, 2:00 PM
    • 3rd Apr 04, 2:00 PM
    I am disabled on DLA and unable to get to their shop. the site seems to say you have to go to show prove of benefits. Anyone know if this can be done by post? F/F a goner.
  • archived user
    • 5th Apr 04, 12:04 AM
    • 5th Apr 04, 12:04 AM
    This is really cool, (Do they have to see it not working)

I have been given a tall freezer, so have an unwanted fridge freezr Tall (1/2 Fridge 1/2 Freezer). Need to swap it for a small fridge.

Thanx
    • petesellit
    • By petesellit 5th Apr 04, 4:40 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    petesellit
    • 5th Apr 04, 4:40 PM
    • 5th Apr 04, 4:40 PM

It looks like this has disappeared !!
  • archived user
    • 7th Apr 04, 11:32 PM
    • 7th Apr 04, 11:32 PM
    i have been onto the currys web site, but i can't find this deal anywhere. can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • archived user
    :'( Due to the fact that i have been on benefits, i have never been able to buy a new fridge. I have had to rent one monthly and it has become inefficient. (plus broken shelf!) The company have said that i can purchase it for 50 or send it back to them. Either way this scheme does not help the people that could really do with a new fridge.
    • petesellit
    • By petesellit 10th Apr 04, 1:59 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    petesellit
    Got this reply from Currys

Thank you for your email

In order to gain full information with regards to the current Powergen scheme I
    would
    suggest that you contact the Powergen information line on 0845 604 0045.

I apologise for any further inconvenience this may cause.

Kindest regards

John Parsons
    Customer Services

• lindjemp
    I got my fridge freezer this way at New Year - we are on Working tax credit- they said they would make my old one no longer useable by taking off the seal but they didnt!

Then about a month later I got a parcel with 4 energy saving lightbulbs from Currys free as I had purchased an A rating appliance!

Not too bad at all!
  • heldaz
    is this still available on the currys web site please?

• lew
    • By lew 21st Apr 04, 5:47 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    lew
    YES,this is still avaialable,as of today.
    • petesellit
    • By petesellit 24th Apr 04, 1:41 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    petesellit
    If you phone 0800 512012 they will send you the application form.
  • archived user
    www.currys.co.uk

with regards to the new fridge/ freezer the offer is still on!

Click on the above link and on the left hand side of currys page there is a grey box titled Customer care and in that box is the Fridge savers scheme.
    I have just qualified for one after filling in a small application form

Good luck!
  • Cazx
    *gasps*

Im on family tax credit and I filled in the online form.

Ive been accepted and should get my acceptance letter in 5 day!

Ok its not as big as my old fridge freezer but as mines knackered so it is a big help with 3 kids.

Thanks for the tip
  • archived user
    Hi, How long did it take from when you filled in the online form till you recieved the fridge?

TIA
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 29th Apr 04, 9:09 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    This would be a good fridge for Hellomoto

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_14016.html

• Ardans
    I can';t seem to find anything about this fridge and freezer offer, can anyone help?:-[
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,064Posts Today

7,370Users online

Martin's Twitter