Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 205
    • EsmeTheRat
    • By EsmeTheRat 26th Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EsmeTheRat
    Hi, Out on a limb here trying to help a mate. He's been denied a loan for his teacher training course, as he has 4.5K outstanding on a previous student loan. It was taken out 1997-2000. Is there any way round this? Is that right? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you!
    • _shel
    • By _shel 26th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    _shel
    Hi, Out on a limb here trying to help a mate. He's been denied a loan for his teacher training course, as he has 4.5K outstanding on a previous student loan. It was taken out 1997-2000. Is there any way round this? Is that right? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you!
    Originally posted by EsmeTheRat
    Has he been avoiding paying? Not passed on contact or something like that?
    • EsmeTheRat
    • By EsmeTheRat 26th Jul 18, 7:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EsmeTheRat
    Hi, Thanks for the response, Shel. He never earned above the threshold, but currently has a repayment agreement in place, which he is due to start repaying in two weeks. I don't know how much per payment.
    • EsmeTheRat
    • By EsmeTheRat 26th Jul 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EsmeTheRat
    Ps. The debt sold onto Capquest??
    • sendtosian
    • By sendtosian 26th Jul 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sendtosian
    Old mortgage style student loan repayment/deferment
    /Hi,

I took out student loans from 97/98-99/2000 and have deferred every year as I have always been below the threshold. However, this year I am above the threshold so have not deferred. My income includes child maintenance, child benefits, child tax credits and earnings. I am a single parent with two children so feel it should be taken into account that I have to keep three of us and a household on my income and find I am now paying 110 per month which I cannot afford.

Does anyone know if SLC and Erudio would take into account that I have higher expenses with keeping 2 children or would it be better to reduce my hours at work and defer again?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Sian
    • _shel
    • By _shel 27th Jul 18, 2:10 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    _shel
    /Hi,

I took out student loans from 97/98-99/2000 and have deferred every year as I have always been below the threshold. However, this year I am above the threshold so have not deferred. My income includes child maintenance, child benefits, child tax credits and earnings. I am a single parent with two children so feel it should be taken into account that I have to keep three of us and a household on my income and find I am now paying 110 per month which I cannot afford.

Does anyone know if SLC and Erudio would take into account that I have higher expenses with keeping 2 children or would it be better to reduce my hours at work and defer again?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Sian
    Originally posted by sendtosian
    If you reduce your hours you may well save on the SLC repayment but how much will your family lose in income? Probably far more
    • Student Loan Moaner
    • By Student Loan Moaner 31st Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Student Loan Moaner
    Hi, long-term poster who's lost their log-in.

SLC has just increased my husband's monthly payments to an unaffordable amount.

We moved from the UK to the Middle East five years ago. Since then he's been making monthly payments of 150pcm to SLC but they have now increased this to 320 pcm.

In the UK he paid 50 monthly. He earns twice as much here, but our cost of living is very high - something SLC doesn't want to know. He's continued to pay them 150 pcm, but is accruing arrears. Is there a template letter with a budget breakdown we can send them? Is anyone in a similar situation who can offer advice?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 31st Jul 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    _shel
    They're not interested in your outgoings. They have their own country thresholds on what percentage of your income you have to pay.

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678668&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
    • Student Loan Moaner
    • By Student Loan Moaner 31st Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Student Loan Moaner
    "set at an affordable level which reflects the conditions in the relevant country..." except it doesn't.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 1st Aug 18, 12:33 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    _shel
    "set at an affordable level which reflects the conditions in the relevant country..." except it doesn't.
    Originally posted by Student Loan Moaner
    Some would say the same about uk repayments when struggling with mortgage, kids & credit but that's what we signed up to.
    • Student Loan Moaner
    • By Student Loan Moaner 1st Aug 18, 5:06 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Student Loan Moaner
    Hi Shel. We pay for all of those things, plus school fees and healthcare, which aren't covered in the country we live in. His wages are double what he earned in the UK, but payments have been increased six-fold - twice since we said we couldn't afford them.

I'm sorry for anyone struggling with SLC payments, regardless of where they live. They really are a feral operator.
    • sgavin
    • By sgavin 1st Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sgavin
    Hi, I studied for one year in 2014 and accumulated the tuition fees and a grant. My closing balance was 13,585. On my statement last month it said in the past year i paid 807. Out of that figure, 516 was interest so I actually only ended up paying 291 towards my loan. on my enclosed statement in the post, the interest in April 2017 was 2.35% but April 2018 at the end of the statement it showed the interest at 5.89%? I read on here Martin saying sometimes it mightnt be a good idea to pay it off as quick as you can, soo...considering it is a small figure than most would have (doing 3 or 4 years), is it best if I pay as much as I can afford a month or leave the amount they calculate? I'm very worried I will end up paying an insane amount back in comparison to what the initial amount was. Thank in advance!
    • BazMorgan
    • By BazMorgan 2nd Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BazMorgan
    As an ex student nurse with just over 8K loan is it worth repaying my loan early.?
    Hi , Should I try and repay my loan early??
    I was a student nurse , so did not have a loan for fees and just graduated ,my balance is 8,341.As a starting nurse I earn just over 21K so now I am getting charged 3% plus the RPI . I am 48 so 20 years until retirement . :Martin Lewis says that students should not worry as they will never pay back the interest over 30 years . Unfortunately , he has forgotten to answer that question for all the allied health care students who did not have a loan for fees and so will prob end up paying all the 2,500 a year back ( max 7,500) plus the high interest. I am sure many other students are unsure as Martin has just gone with the general students and forgot about all us nurses. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by BazMorgan; 02-08-2018 at 3:05 PM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 2nd Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 4,967 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    sheramber
    read Martin's latest blog
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/repay-post-2012-student-loan/
    • jwols
    • By jwols 7th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jwols
    Hi i've recently had my student loan granted. I start my Primary Teaching course Sept 5th.
    I have sent the paperwork in for the Childcare Grant. My children are 1 and 3. my 3 year old is eligible for the 30 hours commencing September. However, I'm worried that i may lose that. My partner works full time and i will be studying full time. I was hoping to hear back if i am entitled to the childcare grant for my 1 year old and still recieve the 30 hours for my 3 year old. they will be in nursery full time so i will need to top it up as the grant and the 30hrs dont cover the cost. I was fine with that but i still dont know if i will get the grant and the 30hrs and if so i am starting to panic as it will be around 2000 a month.

please help!!
    • ClareWebb
    • By ClareWebb 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ClareWebb
    Undergrad and Postgrad Loan Repayments
    Hello! I am a graduate with 4 years of student loan (both tuition and maintenance on Plan 2 - approx total was about 50,000 before interest) to make repayments for. With the salary I started working on 2 years ago, I calculated that I will realistically not get close to paying off my entire loan plus interest before it gets wiped in 30 years. I am now about to start a PGCE course for 1 year and after that will hopefully be teaching in a school outside London. I understand that, if I take the postgraduate loan for my PGCE tuition fees, I will then be paying 15% (6% postgrad loan and 9% undergrad loan) back on income over 25,000. My question is - is it worth me taking a loan for the PGCE tuition fees if I could just about scrape by if I paid them out of the grant I will receive for doing the course? My starting salary will be 23-24k. I don't know whether to view it in the same light as my undergrad loan (which I see as more of a tax for the next 30 odd years) or whether I should take the loan and try and pay the postgrad part of it back as quickly as possible to avoid paying drastically more than I borrow in the first place? Thank you in advance!
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 9th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hello! I am a graduate with 4 years of student loan (both tuition and maintenance on Plan 2 - approx total was about 50,000 before interest) to make repayments for. With the salary I started working on 2 years ago, I calculated that I will realistically not get close to paying off my entire loan plus interest before it gets wiped in 30 years. I am now about to start a PGCE course for 1 year and after that will hopefully be teaching in a school outside London. I understand that, if I take the postgraduate loan for my PGCE tuition fees, I will then be paying 15% (6% postgrad loan and 9% undergrad loan) back on income over 25,000. My question is - is it worth me taking a loan for the PGCE tuition fees if I could just about scrape by if I paid them out of the grant I will receive for doing the course? My starting salary will be 23-24k. I don't know whether to view it in the same light as my undergrad loan (which I see as more of a tax for the next 30 odd years) or whether I should take the loan and try and pay the postgrad part of it back as quickly as possible to avoid paying drastically more than I borrow in the first place? Thank you in advance!
    Originally posted by ClareWebb
    The PGCE loans are not postgraduate loans - they're plan 2 loans.

Postgraduate loans are for postgrad masters and doctorate courses.
    • DeanRogers
    • By DeanRogers 13th Aug 18, 11:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DeanRogers
    Our son starts uni in the eurozone shortly & we'll need to transfer money regularly. We don't want to get stung with fees. Any recommendations from people who've been where we are?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

8,544Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin