Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 202
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th May 18, 3:21 PM
    • 21,009 Posts
    • 16,796 Thanks
    agrinnall
    In my opinion including the cost of housing is a reasonable thing to do, if it wasn't paid for by her employer she'd have to pay it herself and would therefore need to earn more to have the same net disposable income.
    • w1lls
    • By w1lls 4th May 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    w1lls
    student loans abroad
    Hi,
    With all due respect, thats just it, this isnt part of her earnings. This is an incentive to accept a lesser salary. She never sees this money, it is not taxable locally, nor does it appear on her wage slips {she happened to mention it when form filling for slc}. It goes straight from her employer to the landlord, who are part of the same business. She has been on the phone to them, slc, this afternoon for 45 mins without resolution. Slc agents keep reiterating "we cant advise, its up to you" when asked for advice. Can you, or anyone else with experience in this field, please advise on how to take this to a conclusion? Cheers W1lls
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 5th May 18, 1:17 AM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 35,916 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'm sorry, but how can you say it shouldn't be counted as part of her earnings when you admit it's an incentive to accept a lower salary? If she didn't get the housing, she'd be paid more.

In the UK, tied housing is at least partly subject to tax and NI. It's not entirely straightforward, and there are some exemptions, but I believe she'd be treated in the same way if she had free accommodation through her employment here.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 6th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    Does SLC have your daughter's up to date correspondence address? It seems odd that letters don't seem to be reaching her. Maybe she could use your address as her correspondence address?

I used to work overseas and was provided with housing. I never saw the money and it wasn't taxable on my side where it was paid, but I had to declare and pay tax on it here. With all due respect, I doubt there is going to be any way around your daughter excluding it from her income for repayment purposes. She'll just have to suck it up and repay the loan.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    sheramber
    It may not be 'earnings' but it is part of her remuneration.
    • Frank King
    • By Frank King 9th May 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frank King
    Has the split contribution changed for 2018/2019? It was 1130 the last time I heard, but doesn't seem to have been increased for some time. My kids are just below the threshold to obtain bursaries, so any increase in the SC could make a difference of 1k/pa to them. Would be grateful to learn Fingers crossed!
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 10th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 18,359 Posts
    • 38,309 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Has the split contribution changed for 2018/2019? It was 1130 the last time I heard, but doesn't seem to have been increased for some time. My kids are just below the threshold to obtain bursaries, so any increase in the SC could make a difference of 1k/pa to them. Would be grateful to learn Fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by Frank King
    University bursaries are based on the individual Universities criteria, typically only for those from households on low income.

Bursaries offered by parents employers are up to the employers to decide. Well worth looking in to if you are concerned about how much you can help your offspring financially.

Maintenance loans are based on Household income.

The only change that seems to have been announced is in income before Student loans start to be repaid. Going from 21,000 to 25,000. Everything else is still at 17/18 rates.
    Last edited by Mrs Arcanum; 10-05-2018 at 8:30 AM.
    We put all our politicians in prison as soon as theyre elected. Don't you?" "Why? It saves time. - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • Laavre
    • By Laavre 10th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Laavre
    Hi there,

Im really confused about my current student loan and its been something thats been weighing me down since I left. I had to finish University early in 2013 due to personal health reasons and I took precautions and asked the financial advisor at my uni if this would affect the way I repay my loans and he said it would be fine and Id be treated as a normal finishing student (I.e I wouldnt be paying anything back until I was earning above the threshold).

HOWEVER, SLC called me to tell me that I HAD to pay them back what is borrowed in grant costs and also pay back the university for a term from my own money because Id left early. I honesty dont really understand why this is so could you clear this up for me as to why exactly Im penalised for leaving early? I can maybe understand the reasoning behind the grant payback but Im utterly baffled as to why Im having to pay a 9,000 university fee from my own pocket?

Id love your help with this as the amount they take from me monthly is really taking its toll on my quality of living.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 10th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hi there,

Im really confused about my current student loan and its been something thats been weighing me down since I left. I had to finish University early in 2013 due to personal health reasons and I took precautions and asked the financial advisor at my uni if this would affect the way I repay my loans and he said it would be fine and Id be treated as a normal finishing student (I.e I wouldnt be paying anything back until I was earning above the threshold).

HOWEVER, SLC called me to tell me that I HAD to pay them back what is borrowed in grant costs and also pay back the university for a term from my own money because Id left early. I honesty dont really understand why this is so could you clear this up for me as to why exactly Im penalised for leaving early? I can maybe understand the reasoning behind the grant payback but Im utterly baffled as to why Im having to pay a 9,000 university fee from my own pocket?

Id love your help with this as the amount they take from me monthly is really taking its toll on my quality of living.
    Originally posted by Laavre
    As the full entitlement is to cover the full academic year (1st September - 31st August), you're only eligible for a fraction of the originally calculated amount based on the date you left. E.g. leave on the 250th day of the academic year, then your maintenance is recalculated as 250/365 x original amount.

For the tuition fee loan, you're only entitled to 25% of the maximum amount if you left in term 1, another 25% if you left in term 2, and the other 50% if you left in term 3.
    • grievesy11
    • By grievesy11 10th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grievesy11
    Student finance error
    Student finance recently sent me a grant I didn't expect and on the same day a letter saying i owed them way more than the money from the grant. I called them up and asked what was going on and they said someone had made a mistake i was allocated the 2016 entitlement instead of the 2012. Therefore they had given me too much loan and a grant. I now have to find a huge chunk of money to pay them back as well as the giving the grant back (which i am fine with). I don't have the money to pay back the overpayment, what will be the consequences of this repayment, will the interest be high? Will they pay me less next year so I get allocated less and then they take even more off it. Am i going to suffer because of there mistake over a year ago?

Also what logic is it to give me too much money and then give me even more?
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 11th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    Grievesey11, I think you'll need to contact them to ask for a written breakdown of how this occurred. There's not much anyone on here can tell you.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • sim11
    • By sim11 13th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    sim11
    Anyone know about filling the Student Finance income forms out when on benefits. I am pulling my hair out with it. Esa income related with a carers premium. The issue i have is partner claims carers allowance, which is paid weekly on its own to partner. It is added as a premium on Esa but then deducted. Asked partner if he has ever had a P60, he cannot remember and i cannot find one amongst any of my paperwork.
    Do i (A) do not put down carers, and just put it through as zero income
    (B) put it down with the yearly amount for carers allowance for 2016/2017

Hoping someone else may have come across this themselves
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 14th May 18, 7:30 AM
    • 18,359 Posts
    • 38,309 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Anyone know about filling the Student Finance income forms out when on benefits. I am pulling my hair out with it. Esa income related with a carers premium. The issue i have is partner claims carers allowance, which is paid weekly on its own to partner. It is added as a premium on Esa but then deducted. Asked partner if he has ever had a P60, he cannot remember and i cannot find one amongst any of my paperwork.

Originally posted by sim11
    You only get a P60 from employer based income from whatever source applies at the end of March each year. So someone on a work related pension will get a P60.

Try ringing Student finance for advice, they are pretty helpful. However, the questions on-line are not always clear, so I can understand your frustration. They are looking at "household" income so whatever pre-tax income comes into the house is expected to be included.
    We put all our politicians in prison as soon as theyre elected. Don't you?" "Why? It saves time. - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • sim11
    • By sim11 14th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    sim11

Originally posted by sim11
    Spoke to student finance, they said better to put it down than not. Thought i would update for anyone else who maybe asking the same question.
    • Vicky-h
    • By Vicky-h 14th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vicky-h
    Hi SLC

I've heard that you can get a refund if you started repaying early, which i did. But if i get the refund will i not just have to pay them back anyway?

Vicky
    • sailingfree
    • By sailingfree 14th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sailingfree
    HI SLC worker.
    I am getting married, I took out a student loan in 2002 - 2006. What if any affect does this have on our finances would my spouse become partially or totally responsible, if I am not working or can less than 18000 pa?
    thanks
    • wyndzor
    • By wyndzor 17th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wyndzor
    Overpayment of Student loan because of employment and self-employment
    Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else...

For the tax year 2017-2018 I was in employment and also self-employed. My employer deducted my student loan repayments (plan 1) correctly based on my monthly income i.e. over the threshold, however I was only employed for 4 months in that tax year so my total was under the SL threshold.

When I completed my tax return last week I noticed that my total earned income from both my employment and self-employment was only just over the yearly repayment threshold for the student loan. But I'd paid back several hundred pounds through my PAYE.

I thought in principle you should only be paying back 9% of your income over a certain threshold yet I've in effect paid back 54% of that.

I tried contacting the SLC to get a refund for the extra repayment and they said they couldn't do it because of the mix of employed and self-employed incomes. This doesn't seem right to me and I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same situation?
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 17th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 15,136 Thanks
    Lokolo
    Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else...

For the tax year 2017-2018 I was in employment and also self-employed. My employer deducted my student loan repayments (plan 1) correctly based on my monthly income i.e. over the threshold, however I was only employed for 4 months in that tax year so my total was under the SL threshold.

When I completed my tax return last week I noticed that my total earned income from both my employment and self-employment was only just over the yearly repayment threshold for the student loan. But I'd paid back several hundred pounds through my PAYE.

I thought in principle you should only be paying back 9% of your income over a certain threshold yet I've in effect paid back 54% of that.

I tried contacting the SLC to get a refund for the extra repayment and they said they couldn't do it because of the mix of employed and self-employed incomes. This doesn't seem right to me and I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same situation?
    Originally posted by wyndzor
    I believe the only time you can get a refund is if you made repayments but in the tax year you earned less than the threshold.

If you have earnt more than the threshold then you are not entitled to refunds - even if it was more than 9% over.
    • wyndzor
    • By wyndzor 17th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wyndzor
    I believe the only time you can get a refund is if you made repayments but in the tax year you earned less than the threshold.

If you have earnt more than the threshold then you are not entitled to refunds - even if it was more than 9% over.
    Originally posted by Lokolo
    I think you're right Lokolo. It just seems a bit wrong to me, but then I'm looking at the yearly totals and thresholds whereas the SLC seem to favour the monthly earnings as a basis for deductions.
    Something worth raising with Martin perhaps?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 37,797 Posts
    • 159,127 Thanks
    silvercar
    HI SLC worker.
    I am getting married, I took out a student loan in 2002 - 2006. What if any affect does this have on our finances would my spouse become partially or totally responsible, if I am not working or can less than 18000 pa?
    thanks
    Originally posted by sailingfree
    No effect at all. Your repayments are based on your income alone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

950Posts Today

7,067Users online

Martin's Twitter