Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 201
    • 2narmy
    • By 2narmy 3rd Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2narmy
    Student loan for a uk student going to Berklee, usa
    Hi all

Looking for info on where to start or any advice on funding my sons further education at Berklee college of music.

It looks like a minefield so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 19,931 Posts
    • 15,638 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Are you a UK resident? This is a UK-based site and deals primarily with UK queries. If you are, then you won't get any government funding for attending a US college, and I suspect that even the Valencia campus wouldn't be eligible for SFC funding.

For those who don't know Berklee College (as I didn't):

https://www.berklee.edu/
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 3rd Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    sheramber
    Berklee College gives this information about funding

https://www.berklee.edu/paying-for-your-education

He won't get student finance from UK. it would have to be private funding or scholarship

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/undergraduate/educationusa-advice/funding/loans

https://www.savethestudent.org/study-abroad/america/funding-study-american-university.html
    • Freddie Goodwin
    • By Freddie Goodwin 4th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Freddie Goodwin
    I'm a current student in year 3 of a 3 year degree, i.e. I haven't started repaying my student loan yet. When I log into my Student Finance England account I can see the total outstanding balance of my loan but I can't see any detail behind this. Why isn't there an online statement covering the period of my loan showing each loan transaction and each interest transaction?
    • Suziq14
    • By Suziq14 8th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suziq14
    I graduated from uni in 2017 so I am on the plan 2 loan system. I am only working part time earning about £6000 a year however my employer has had a letter stating that I will start to repay my loan from this month? I am nowhere near earning £25,000 so i am confussed? The only thing I can think of is that i saved all my bursery money up over the years and it is still in my bank account waiting to be used for a mortgage deposit but its not a income and iím not gaining any interest on it or anything it is just in my only current account. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 38,390 Posts
    • 34,992 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I graduated from uni in 2017 so I am on the plan 2 loan system. I am only working part time earning about £6000 a year however my employer has had a letter stating that I will start to repay my loan from this month? I am nowhere near earning £25,000 so i am confussed? The only thing I can think of is that i saved all my bursery money up over the years and it is still in my bank account waiting to be used for a mortgage deposit but its not a income and iím not gaining any interest on it or anything it is just in my only current account. Any help would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by Suziq14
    I think you'll find that's a standard letter instructing your employer to calculate loan repayments wef this April, but you won't make any unless you get a massive bonus one month taking you over the 25,000 / 12 figure. Neither HMRC nor your employer know what's in your bank account.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 8th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,999 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Amanda65
    DD in Australia - SLC repayments
    Hi

DD worked for a year after graduating but earned under the threshold so didn't make any repayments to her student loan. She went travelling (self funded) in October 2016 and in March 2017 we informed SLC that she was living abroad and not working. She picked up bits of casual work here and there and three months ago got some contract work through an agency.

SLC have written and said she now needs to start repaying her loan, despite her not knowing how long the contract will last. She has been advised that the threshold for repayments in Australia is £21k (equivalent) despite Sydney being recently voted the dearest city in the world to live in; they do not take living costs into consideration apparently.

She is not disputing having to pay back the loan but is feeling a little confused as none of her friends out there, all of a similar age and all working, have been asked to repay anything. I have spoken to SLC (I am authorised to on her behalf) and so has she and we seem to get conflicting information about what proof they need (I was told three months bank statements and 3 months pay slips) and how much she will need to repay. She's actually living in a hostel at the moment as they couldn't afford to continue to rent the house they were in so money is very tight.

She will be over the £21k threshold but obviously has no idea for how long the contract will last (it was originally 6 weeks but has been extended - usually told every 3-4 weeks she is still needed)

Any advice appreciated
    Last edited by Amanda65; 08-04-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    sheramber
    For an Australian limit of £21k your daughter must have a plan1 loan. The income limit in UK is £18, 330 so Australia does have a higher income limit.

You can check the repayment due here http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678668&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Student Finance require bank statements to prove that the person has been living of savings and payslips to verify wages.

If the employment ceases then she can contact them then to request a review of the payment plan.

If she does not provide the information they will expect her to pay a default amount.
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 10th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,999 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Amanda65
    For an Australian limit of £21k your daughter must have a plan1 loan. The income limit in UK is £18, 330 so Australia does have a higher income limit.

Originally posted by sheramber
    Ok my error - I read that the threshold for repayment had gone up to £25k and didn't realise there were two types of loan. Out of curiosity, why does one type have to be paid back sooner into earnings level than another?
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 10th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Ok my error - I read that the threshold for repayment had gone up to £25k and didn't realise there were two types of loan. Out of curiosity, why does one type have to be paid back sooner into earnings level than another?
    Originally posted by Amanda65
    Politics.

Income-contingent student loans started in 1998 at 9% over a threshold of £10,000.

In 2005 that threshold was raised to £15,000 with an intention made to uprate with RPI from 2010 onwards (the 2010 increase was cancelled due to negative RPI with a new intention to uprate from 2011):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/353572/response/967020/attach/3/Annex%20A%20Repayment%20Threshold%20Redacted%20FOI .pdf

In 2010, the new Coalition Government were presented with the recommendations of an independent review of student finance, which amongst other things said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422565/bis-10-1208-securing-sustainable-higher-education-browne-report.pdf

However the Government chose to play politics and to make "their" system look better in comparison to the existing Labour loans, and belatedly decided to uprate the £15,000 threshold from 2012, while applying the £21k level to new post-2012 loans (which has now been raised to £25k and indexed to earnings):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/353572/response/939043/attach/5/Gibney%2020936%20Annex%20B.pdf

The Government have decided to fix the terms of pre-2012 loans to sell them off while they continue to play around with the terms of post-2012 loans.
    Last edited by Ed-1; 10-04-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    • Cavecat
    • By Cavecat 11th Apr 18, 12:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cavecat
    I am 60 years old and have an offer of a Postgraduate Nursing course for Sept 18. I cannot get a loan, as it ends at 59. Fees are £9,000. Any help? Can I get a loan/bursary ANYPLACE, as I cannot pay fees and live.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Apr 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    _shel
    I am 60 years old and have an offer of a Postgraduate Nursing course for Sept 18. I cannot get a loan, as it ends at 59. Fees are £9,000. Any help? Can I get a loan/bursary ANYPLACE, as I cannot pay fees and live.
    Originally posted by Cavecat
    No it doesn't https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Your age
    Thereís no upper age limit for Tuition Fee Loans or grants.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 19,931 Posts
    • 15,638 Thanks
    agrinnall
    No it doesn't https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Your age
    Thereís no upper age limit for Tuition Fee Loans or grants.
    Originally posted by _shel
    There is if the OP is looking at Master's loans:

https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility

Your age

You must be under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course.
    • FormerStudentDad
    • By FormerStudentDad 11th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FormerStudentDad
    Grants for dependants 2010-2011
    Hello

I've had an ongoing issue going back to 2011. All the usual tropes of changing what evidence is required, from when, lost evidence, evidence sent and not taken into account and asked for again and again. Over the years I've managed to get the alleged total down from more than £4000 to just over £1200. My local councillor has been dealing (well relaying messages back and forth) for me. The last contact is now asking for evidence from 2010/11 only (my final year). We have a car loan for that year as my wife started her PGCE so our commute became too much for our old car.

My question then is- Is that car loan acceptable as a financial obligation?

Thanks
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    _shel
    There is if the OP is looking at Master's loans:

https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility

Your age

You must be under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    True but postgraduate nursing qualifies for student finance doesn't it?
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Gemma.riley22
    • By Gemma.riley22 11th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemma.riley22
    Student loan
    Hi, Iím desperate and donít know what to do. My student loan was taken in 1997 and was sold on to a company called Erudio. Between the loan issued and 2010i deferred late so made a payment while the deferment was going through. I was first contacted by Erudio and told that because Iíd made payment in the past Iíd set a president and had to begin to repay the loan in full. Iíve never earned over the threshold to pay. Iíve foolishly been avoiding their calls for the last 18month as I canít aford to pay it back. Where do I stand?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    • 19,931 Posts
    • 15,638 Thanks
    agrinnall
    True but postgraduate nursing qualifies for student finance doesn't it?
    Originally posted by _shel
    I don't know, which is why I why I said "if". I did my undergraduate degree long before student finance was a thing, and I funded my own Master's degree more recently, so my knowledge of the whole process is quite limited.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    sheramber
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Your course

This must be in the UK and one of the following:

a first degree, for example BA, BSc or BEd
    a Foundation Degree
    a Certificate of Higher Education
    a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
    a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
    a Higher National Diploma (HND)
    a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
    Initial Teacher Training
    an integrated master!!!8217;s
    a pre-registration postgraduate healthcare course
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 12th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,999 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Amanda65
    Politics.

Income-contingent student loans started in 1998 at 9% over a threshold of £10,000.

In 2005 that threshold was raised to £15,000 with an intention made to uprate with RPI from 2010 onwards (the 2010 increase was cancelled due to negative RPI with a new intention to uprate from 2011):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/353572/response/967020/attach/3/Annex%20A%20Repayment%20Threshold%20Redacted%20FOI .pdf

In 2010, the new Coalition Government were presented with the recommendations of an independent review of student finance, which amongst other things said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422565/bis-10-1208-securing-sustainable-higher-education-browne-report.pdf

However the Government chose to play politics and to make "their" system look better in comparison to the existing Labour loans, and belatedly decided to uprate the £15,000 threshold from 2012, while applying the £21k level to new post-2012 loans (which has now been raised to £25k and indexed to earnings):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/353572/response/939043/attach/5/Gibney%2020936%20Annex%20B.pdf

The Government have decided to fix the terms of pre-2012 loans to sell them off while they continue to play around with the terms of post-2012 loans.
    Originally posted by Ed-1
    It seems amazing to me that in any other walk of life if you sign a financial agreement those terms cannot change until the end of the agreement yet the Government have been able to sell on loans, that have not been defaulted on, and the student is at the mercy of the new terms with no recourse!

Thank you for the explanation.
    • Parappatherapper
    • By Parappatherapper 23rd Apr 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Parappatherapper
    Help with deferring student loan
    I have a loan with erudio. I started uni in 1997 and graduated 2001. I have been deferring since then as I have been below the threshold.

From January this year I have got a 2 year secondment, paying me an honorarium (as worded on my pay slip). This takes me just under the threshold to repay. If I add child benefit to it, as I have declared in previous years, it takes me above the threshold.

I am in quite a bit of debt and could do with not paying my loan.

Do I not declare child benefit and just send 3 payslips. Or should I declare child benefit and state my income excluding the honorarium, even though it appears on my payslip?

Thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

8,992Users online

Martin's Twitter