Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2010 at 1:51PM
    Is there any funding available for young people who suffered from cancer? Im entitled to all loans going etc. But just wondering if there is a grant out there because I still have to go hospital etc

You may get Disabled Students Allowance to give you extra support and you may be eligble to apply for grants from charitable organisations though they're limited and there is no guarntees. You can search for grants HERE
    and HERE
  • My situation is that instead of applying for 100% of the student maintenence loan, I did the non income assessed forms and ended up with 75% of the maintenence grant. Could someone point me in the right direction of what I need to do to try apply for the other 25%, many thanks :-)
  • Thanks for the assist, Taiko. It's just that for some reason, my uni counts breaks as part of the academic calendar and I thought I'd be able to claim for the weeks concerned.

On another note, I have a query concerning benefits as a disabled person.

I'm currently claiming low-rate DLA as I'm a epileptic which is classified as a disability under the DDA as well as JSA with disability premium.

I know I won't be able to claim the JSA with the disability premium when I start university next month, but I was wondering would I be able to claim Income Support or ESA instead as the section on the DirectGov that deals with disabled students isn't exactly helpful with this sort of thing.
  • Just a note to Taiko; I cannot PM you as your inbox is full but I was wondering if you have any news. Apologies if I sound pushy...I'm just very anxious!! Thanks again for all you do for everyone on various forums.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry Ember, my inbox is a bit filled up with casework I'm doing at the moment. I should be sorted probably by tomorrow. I'll drop you a PM, as I need a few of the messages in my inbox currently and can't be bothered to move them around.
  • Taiko wrote: »
    Sorry Ember, my inbox is a bit filled up with casework I'm doing at the moment. I should be sorted probably by tomorrow. I'll drop you a PM, as I need a few of the messages in my inbox currently and can't be bothered to move them around.

No worries. Thank you. It's nothing more urgent than just a freaking-out student-to-be...one of millions at this time I bet!!:o
  • crystyl
    crystyl Posts: 46 Forumite
    Can someone give me some advise please? I am due to be entering my second year and haven't been able to access my online account since February of this year!! I have called them (student finance england) roughly every other week and told them about the problem but they have just said that the 'error' has been noted on my account.

Does anyone else have the same login problems as me? - Allows me to login just not access my application details!

Thanks x
    Finally dealing with debt :o
  • photodgm
    photodgm Posts: 236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm asking the question as my daughter has been given different information each time she has contacted student finance. Brief story: folowing a non means tested offer started phone calls.

1) Was told parents needed to supply more evidence - went to supervisor - talked to me, agreed that they had everything needed and it would be looked at in the next couple of days. Nothing happened.

2) Person spoken to very sorry - didn't only work on the phones but could sort it out that afternoon and send a confirmation email. Nothing happened

3) Couldn't access her account - phone back later.

4) There is no record of conversation 2 and there is no supporting information attached to her application - has it been sent? Went to find supervisor and 'found' supporting information. Can expect a communication in 2 weeks.

I am concerned that this information may become lost in the system and in 2 weeks it will be back on the phone - I would really like this to be sorted out before my daughter gets to university and has to try to sort it out on her mobile from there. Any information or advice?
  • Can anyone make sense of this? My son received notification in July that his assessment had been changed to a 'financially-assessed basis'. We expected this. The notification enclosed a breakdown of loans and maintenance grant.

He has just received a new communication with the payment timetable and University or College payment advice form and it the grant element has disappeared with the loan not being based on family income. We have done nothing in between so why has this happened?

Could it be anything to do with our 2 sons being on a current year's assessment last year and the strange ruling to use the same figures for the next academic year instead of the income from 2 years ago?
  • Hi there - I'm new to this and have spent the last2 hours reading through posts to find someone in a similar situation to mine but to no avail........ :(

I am a mature - 30 something - woman who is (hopefully) starting uni in Sept as an undergrad on a 3 yr BA and then hoping to do a PGCE afterwards.

My hubby is long term sick and he claims IS for both of us as I currently do not work as I am a carer for our daughter who has special needs. The claim is in his name, not mine.As part of the IS we receive some help towards the mortgage; without this help we wouldn't be able to make the payment to keep mortgage company happy.

We receive CB for our 3 children and CTC.

My question is (because student finance keep asking me for more info and I haven't heard what I will recieve yet etc) - how will income from Student finance affect the income support we receive? I have had so many differing answers from so many people and I am really confused and worried now.:o Some tell me it won't be effected and some say that we will get nothing. Obviously with hubby being unable to work and this being our only income at present, the effect any student finance has on our benefits will be a deciding factor as to whether I take my place at Uni or not......

Many Thanks for any help/advise, in advance...
    Mitch
    xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport