Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 19th May 09, 1:18 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    0 WOW
    The great ‘Cheap cuppa’ hunt: Your top (PG?) Tips to bag cheap tea
    • 19th May 09, 1:18 PM
    0 WOW
    The great ‘Cheap cuppa’ hunt: Your top (PG?) Tips to bag cheap tea 19th May 09 at 1:18 PM
    PG Tips says it'll hike tea prices by up to 15% next month due to supply problems, and while the cost of a cuppa is, and will remain, relatively cheap, you could stock up now.

So we thought we'd ask MoneySavers to report tea tips and bargains.

Have you spotted a bargain beverage?
    Do you find own brand teas tastier in the first place?
    How many times can you reuse bags?

Click reply to discuss.

To get you started here's an offer we've spotted:

Tetley Tea bags are 100% extra free in Somerfield (160 bags for the price of 80) between Wed 20 May to Tue 2 June. The packet costs £2.09.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 19-05-2009 at 9:07 PM.
Page 1
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 19th May 09, 9:52 PM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 19th May 09, 9:52 PM
    • 19th May 09, 9:52 PM
    Sainsburys Red Label Half price £1.34 for 160 bags.

Buy it for my husband and have even converted my mum to it.

Also iceland are doing Twinings everyday tea 100 bags for £1.

Can't tell you when the offers run out. Never drink it myself makes me want to go

Yours

Calley
    • eslick
    • By eslick 19th May 09, 10:44 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    eslick
    • 19th May 09, 10:44 PM
    • 19th May 09, 10:44 PM
    Ringtons tea is the best around and they even deliver to your door
  • nic_nac_
    • 19th May 09, 11:22 PM
    • 19th May 09, 11:22 PM
    I love my cuppa's and generally just buy whatever is on offer, i'm using Asda's own make 160 two packs for £3 just now and they are just as good as the brand names in my opinion.
  • Obukit
    • 19th May 09, 11:36 PM
    • 19th May 09, 11:36 PM
    Sainsbury's basics tea is 28p for 80 bags. Fairtrade and tastes pretty good (much better than the Tesco equivalent).

I'm sure they must make a loss on it and only have the price set to match Tescos, so it's a real bargain.
  • Tosquito
    • 20th May 09, 12:05 AM
    • 20th May 09, 12:05 AM
    Having tried almost every type of Supermarket Brand Earl Grey Tea,
    I can honestly say that Twinings is awful, Morrisons and the Co-op are not great either,
    M&S is rather good and Sainsburys is good too.

Reason for not liking any but the last 2, is the after taste that you get from the other brands.
    How the tea tastes comes above price any day.

This may only be helpful to any Earl Grey Tea Drinkers.
    But it can't be just me that drinks it.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 26-05-2009 at 9:25 PM.
  • andy2004
    • 20th May 09, 12:26 AM
    • 20th May 09, 12:26 AM
    always buy PG Tips here, and always when its on offer, 240bags for £3, usually iceland, asda, last time it was on offer we bought 11boxs. 10 from asda and 1 from iceland. about a week later when i went shopping up there, and looking in tesco's saw the price was £4.54 for the same box, believe the price is down again, just checked there website. 240bags for £3.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th May 09, 9:02 AM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 20th May 09, 9:02 AM
    • 20th May 09, 9:02 AM
    In the double downshift programme I did for ITV1. We changed the families tea bag from a premium brand to Sainsbury basics - and they didnt notice. Food for thought. (and tea for tuppence)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • joan1
    • 20th May 09, 9:08 AM
    Cheapest/best cuppa
    • 20th May 09, 9:08 AM
    A few thoughts on the above.Aim to buy tea bags at a penny each or less. Just late last year,Somerfield were doing 240 bags of Tetley for £2.Very good everyday tea.One of our local shops in the midlands,Home Bargains used to have Ainsley Harriott`s own brand tea for around 1P each bag.It`s probably the best i`ve ever bought.They don`t have it now and i`ve never seen it elsewhere.Beware of good brands like Ty-Phoo that are often sold as "1 cup" for around a penny each.They are clearly not the same as their "regular" product.I agree with most of the other postings but i did buy Asda`s own brand tea recently(240 for £2) and was very disappointed.
    Will try Sainsbury`s cheap bags as recommended as at 28p for 80 it`s not much loss if they are not so good!
    Phil
    PS. Just tried Sainsbury`s as above.Amazing value and a very satisfactory taste.Almost as good or as good as bags costing four times as much!
    Last edited by joan1; 20-05-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: addition
    • nesssie1702
    • By nesssie1702 20th May 09, 9:16 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    nesssie1702
    I can honestly say that Twinings is awful, Morrisons and the Co-op are not great either,

Originally posted by Tosquito
    Ah, but we're all different! Is your critique of loose leaf tea or tea bags?

I quite like Twinings and Morrison's Earl Grey tea bags .

Can't stand M&S and Asdas, as they seem to dip the teabags in a dye/flavour which leaves a nasty taste in your mouth (Which would suggest that it's normal tea and it's the teabag that's got the bergamot on it?)

I should maybe try the loose leaf stuff, as it's meant to make the better cuppa, the dross left over is used in tea bags!
  • sackcloth
    Tea Bags
    Having been a lifelong PG Tips drinker, and now living on limited funds, we've recently switched to Sainsburys Red Label following on from Martin's programme about down-shifting. The large boxes are on special offer at the moment and the taste is no different from the PG ones. Although they do taste better knowing that they are considerably cheaper...!!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 20th May 09, 9:50 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I can taste the difference between cheap teas and slightly better ones. I just go to Poundland for them and they work out the same sort of price as the Value range ones. I don't even drink much tea so it's about £3 a year max. for my tea habit!!
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • colemanbrown
    Typhoo puts the T in Britain
    Saw in Lidl's yesterday that Typhoo had 100% extra free on their packs. Didn't by as I still have plenty of Tetley from a BOGOF. How long can you keep tea if you don't open the packet? All this talk has made me want a cuppa right now.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 20th May 09, 10:10 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I think it's good for a couple of years. I've got tea from a few years back, when I bought herbal ones to be experimental; they don't taste any different now...
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • 1carminestocky
    • By 1carminestocky 20th May 09, 10:49 AM
    • 6,462 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    1carminestocky
    In the double downshift programme I did for ITV1. We changed the families tea bag from a premium brand to Sainsbury basics - and they didnt notice. Food for thought. (and tea for tuppence)
    Originally posted by MSE Martin

I saw it, Martin. I did the same with my family and not one comment (adverse or complimetary) in a week. I then revealed my 'cunning stunt' (ooerr) and the result is we won't pay any more than 28p for 80 tea bags now. The fact that, unbelievably, they are actually fairtrade as well is icing on the cake. As a family we get through lots of tea in a week so my back of fag packet figures show we are currently saving £75.00 a year. Just on tea, for God's sake! Madness...
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 22-05-2009 at 1:14 PM.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
    • ~~Diane~~
    • By ~~Diane~~ 20th May 09, 11:29 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    ~~Diane~~

Reason for not liking any but the last 2, is the after taste that you get from the other brands.
    How the tea tastes comes above price any day.

Originally posted by Tosquito
    Twinnings is not nice pretty week and not much flavour, Morrisons is ok, I've not tried M&S yet so next time I'm in town I'll get some to try. At the moment I'm using Tetley which isn't too bad, had worse. Also Sainsburys is pretty good.

I've tried the loose but find it too strong.
  • Muffcat
    [QUOTE=nesssie1702;21712167]Ah, but we're all different! Is your critique of loose leaf tea or tea bags?

I quite like Twinings and Morrison's Earl Grey tea bags .

Can't stand M&S and Asdas, as they seem to dip the teabags in a dye/flavour which leaves a nasty taste in your mouth (Which would suggest that it's normal tea and it's the teabag that's got the bergamot on it?)

I should maybe try the loose leaf stuff, as it's meant to make the better cuppa, the dross left over is used in tea bags![/QUOTE

I drink Earl Grey or China tea, my husband "ordinary" but I would never buy tea bags for either of us because it is difficult to control how much you use and for this reason I think teabags can work out much more expensive than leaf tea. Also, I like to see what I am getting and I have some doubts about what is put in teabags!
  • sp74
    Having generally stuck with brand name teas, there is a big difference with tea-bag STRENGTH....

I find Tetley bags alot stronger than PG Tips, and you can easily make 2 mugs with one Tetley bag (or a pot). Nothing wrong with the taste of PG, especially if you like milky tea!

For good taste to strength balance, you can't go wrong with Tetley (which is often on offer), otherwise Twinings Everyday is also very good.
    • alleycat`
    • By alleycat` 20th May 09, 11:54 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    alleycat`
    Usually buy whatever silly size bag is on offer at makro - premium brands at catering size value

Although to be fair i buy for the office..

I would think the water has just as much impact on the flavour as anything else (seriously hard water where i live)..
    • ItchieFeet
    • By ItchieFeet 20th May 09, 12:33 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ItchieFeet
    Best tasting tea
    The best tasting tea for me is Harrods...ok so not cheap, but treat myself at the duty free shop whenever I fly to the USA as their tea is disgusting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin