Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    samnmalc
    Chicken stock to soup
    • 20th Mar 06, 12:51 PM
    Chicken stock to soup 20th Mar 06 at 12:51 PM
    Hi all , just bought two fresh chickens from Mr T , BOGOF.
    I have frozen one, but want to roast the other for tea.
    Ideally I would like to make a chicken soup with the left overs and to make some genuine chicken stock but I have never done this before so could anyone give me some pointers?
    Also, can I freeze the stock once made?
    I did look in the mega index ,but there is nothing about chicken soup that I could find..:confused:
    Thanks all,Sam
Page 1
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 20th Mar 06, 12:56 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 20th Mar 06, 12:56 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 12:56 PM
    I just strip off all the meat and just boil the bones it in water to make a stock. I use a pressure cooker which is quickest.
    You can freeze the stock as it is and you can use it for different receipes or make it up as soup and freeze it.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • samnmalc
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:06 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:06 PM
    Thanks Rikki, how long do you boil it for?
    Do you completely cover the carcass in water?

Sorry for all the daft questions............:confused:
    • RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 20th Mar 06, 1:12 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:12 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:12 PM
    here is St Delia on the subject, well it is Turkey soup but it'll convert I'm sure and if you have a slow sooker there are loads HERE
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
  • halloweenqueen
    • 20th Mar 06, 3:42 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 3:42 PM
    I got given a chicken a couple of weeks ago, it made us a roast dinner, 6 pittas with salad, chicken stock and a chicken and noodle soup. It was one stretchy chicken!!
  • MrsMW
    • 20th Mar 06, 4:50 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 4:50 PM
    Two of my neighbours give me their chicken carcesses because I told them off for throwing them away!!
    I've just made stock, I threw in all the bones, roughly chopped onions, celery any old roots I had lingering in the fridge, and today I put in the brocolli stalks. Covered it with water simmmered for a couple of hours and then strained the liquid off. And no, I didn't strain it into the sink although I did last week. Oooops!!
  • samnmalc
    • 20th Mar 06, 4:57 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 4:57 PM

That sounds like the sort of thing I would do...doh!

Well the stock is simmering on the stove , the kids have had the drumsticks for their tea , so I have two breasts (ooh errrr!) and some scratty pieces of meat left.
    Should do my chicken fahjitas for tea , the chicken soup and maybe a couple of cold chicken sandwiches!!

Not bad for 1.50
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 20th Mar 06, 5:30 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:30 PM
    I'm not a happy bunny... got to tesco and NO BOGOF! There is a HUGE sign outside advertising them and not a smidgen in store... the peeps were totally useless so gave up and bought the best priced chicken fo tea tonight as "he" wants roast and then I'll stick the left overs in the SC and stick a load of other bits in too so there is stock ready in the morning I'll have the rest of the chicken for lunch tomorrow and maybe leave a few bits for soup for him IF he's been a good boy hehe
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 23rd May 06, 11:46 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 23rd May 06, 11:46 AM
    stock to soup!
    • 23rd May 06, 11:46 AM
    right

have my yummy chicken stock - it has solidified, i have taken fat off the top and have about 3/4-1 pint of solid jelly stock.

Want to make some soup to eat - enough for two people. how much stock do i use????? :confused:

please help :rolleyes:
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • susank
    • By susank 23rd May 06, 11:57 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    susank
    Use it all - if you have any left you can freeze the soup when made - I bet you wont have any left!
    Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 23rd May 06, 12:05 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    do i not have to water it down then????

just wanted to check so i do it right!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • lily the pink
    do i not have to water it down then????

just wanted to check so i do it right!
    by r.mac
    Unless you have made extra strong stock no - I also use all of it then freeze a portion or 2 (before we start eating it as otherwise there would be none to freeze). I quite often use a tin of tomatoes so these would add more liquid - I have added extra water before now to make it go further or if soup if very thick once all the veg has been added (ie if it becomes more of a casserole than a soup).
  • Kazonline
    Made a yummy soup 'chicken sweetcorn and egg noodle soup'. The chicken stock was made in SC last yesterday - what a doddle. Last night I spent 1/2 hour rescuing all the 'tiny' bits of chicken that were now loosened and got a good 1/4lb. Today I reduced the stock a little by simmering then added some crushed noodles, frozen sweetcorn, bit of ginger and the chicken bits. Once cooked I turned off the heat and swirled some beaten egg into the VERY hot soup. Yummy & cheap ;-)
    (the egg goes all 'stringy' in the soup adding to the 'appearance')
  • Luna69
    chicken stock - soup help please?
    Hi
    I made some chicken/veg stock a couple of days ago and want to make some soup. I have an abundance of red lentils.. bought a bag then discovered I already had a bag! ... I have some veg. ie: potatoes, carrots, onions, swede, think that's it at the moment. I like thick chunky soups, not always blended ones.. any idea's on the best way to make this? I have a slow cooker, should I just throw it all in there? I have made soups before, but some can come out a bit tasteless.
    I have some dried herbs I could possibly use too and spices? any suggestions?
    I don't have any cream so can't use that.

Thanks in advance
    Yvonne
    • pol
    • By pol 9th Feb 07, 11:27 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    Depends what you like. I love carrot and lentil, just carrot, lentil and onion cooked in chicken stock and blended with lots of mixed herbs. The veg you have would all go together to make a yummy soup, and if you like it chunky you could add a little barley too if you have any. When it's cooked I add a bit of dry mustard, maybe some Lea and Perrins, mixed herbs etc to taste.
    I just put everything together and cook over a low heat (so slow cooker would be great). The lentils and potatoes would thicken it, so sounds good to me!

pol
    Last edited by pol; 09-02-2007 at 11:29 AM.
  • Luna69
    Depends what you like. I love carrot and lentil, just carrot, lentil and onion cooked in chicken stock and blended with lots of mixed herbs. The veg you have would all go together to make a yummy soup, and if you like it chunky you could add a little barley too if you have any.
    I just put everything together and cook over a low heat (so slow cooker would be great). The lentils and potatoes would thicken it, so sounds good to me!

pol
    by pol
    THanks.. I dont' have any barley as I found a couple of recipes using it. I normally have broth mix which I love, but don't have any at the moment. I could use broken up spaghetti pasta I suppose.
    I'll probably give that a go.

Yvonne
  • annaangeluk
    Making chicken stock / soup.....
    I'm going to be cooking a whole chicken tomorrow and was just wondering how to make stock etc with the carcass.

My 5 year old dd loves the chicken and sweetcorn soup you get from a chinese but it's so salty (and expensive!) that I refuse to buy it!!

I''d love to make a version of this but not sure how to do it.

Would I just boil the carcass as it is with nothing else added, add the sweetcorn and poss noodles to make a clear soup and then with any left over stock, make a more vegetable type soup with carrots, onion and celary etc as a base then add the stock?

Thanks!

Stacey
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Jul 07, 3:50 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Stacey,

I usually make chicken stock in the slow cooker but it works just as well on the hob.

I put any leftover chicken (bones, skin and any meat I'm not using for something else) into the oven in the roasting dish to brown........this really helps the flavour of the stock.

Then put the lot into the slow cooker........I also throw in any left over veg or half dead bits of veg you find in the bottom of the fridge. (I keep the ends of vegetables and peelings in the freezer specifically for making stock).

Cover it with water and leave on overnight.

Strain the liquid into a pan and discard all the bones/veg etc.

Put the pan onto the hob and boil to reduce it to a smaller amount (if you intend to freeze it) as it takes up less room in the freezer.

A good stock will be jelly like when cold.

If you are making stock on the hob, after browning the bones and adding water and veg, quickly bring it to the boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least four hours, then strain and reduce as above.

I hope this helps.

Pink
  • odds-n-sods
    Only thing with using peelings, pink, is that they have all the pesticides ion them if you're using regular veg, not organic.

Carrots, leek, celery, onion and garlic are all stock veg. Veg like brocolli, cauli, peppers, etc will make the stock go cloudy as they disintegrate.

To make the chicken + sweetcorn soup:

Once your stock is made, dice up 1 chicken breast + 1/2 an onion. Saute the onion off, add teh chicken and cook through. Put that in 2L stock; add 1 can creamed sweetcorn, a little salt + some pepper, heat up on med heat. Mix together 4 tbsp water + 2 tsp cornflour, and pour into the soup - stir when you do this! Then let simmer for 3 minutes and its ready. (the cornflour gives it the thickness of restaurant soup). You can add more/less of things to suit you.
  • SILVERLADY
    good advice from the others, but can I add something? Make sure you strain the stock thoroughly through a strainer not a colander as the carcass has loads of little splintery type bones and your 5 year old may swallow them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

2,788Users online

Martin's Twitter