Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Wazza
    Turning cheap vodka into expensive tasting vodka
    • 20th Mar 06, 10:39 AM
    Turning cheap vodka into expensive tasting vodka 20th Mar 06 at 10:39 AM
    I just posted this in reply to a cheap Brita water filter in another thread but i realised people might not know about it, appologies if its been posted before.

Anyway with the aid of a Brita Filter Jug you can turn cheap nasty vodka into nice expensive tasting vodka by filtering it 2 or 3 times.
    There is a site here showing a group of people trying it and their results.

Have fun
    Last edited by Wazza; 20-03-2006 at 10:53 AM. Reason: fixing title
Page 1
  • amosworks
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:56 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:56 PM
    Wazza, you are now one of my gods.

Thank you for this
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 20th Mar 06, 5:13 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:13 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:13 PM
    I used to only buy Vladivar vodka and never liked any cheap and nasty ones. However, I tried Spar's own vodka and really, really liked it. It hasn't got the tang to it that other vodka's have. Its very smooth and drinkable. I even did a blind taste test with 3 other vodka drinkers I knew and they all preferred the Spar one to the Vladivar. So cheap doesn't always mean nasty.

This is a good tip though, Wazza. I would never have thought of doing that!
    • Serenity
    • By Serenity 20th Mar 06, 5:32 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 4,712 Thanks
    Serenity
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:32 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:32 PM
    Another good tip is to keep it in the freezer :rolleyes: It gets rid of the taste. This was picked up in a student dorm.. I don't drink vodka normally
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 20th Mar 06, 5:42 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:42 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:42 PM
    Here is a previous thread on filtering vodka

Have done this every time now - MIL has never sussed. She just thinks we always buy Smirnoff ( the bottle lives on a shelf in the garage until she visits )
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 20th Mar 06, 5:46 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:46 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 5:46 PM
    Wow! This is all news to me. Must have a go *hic* ;-)
  • aimeelister
    • 20th Mar 06, 8:38 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 8:38 PM
    Fantastic, I know what everyones getting for their pressies this year, now to do a raid on Tescos or Asda to buy their value vodka.
    Thank v much for the post!

I wonder if this also works for Gin?????.........
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 20th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    • 9,813 Posts
    • 24,060 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 20th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    there was also ideas put forward in a previous thread (i believe it was christmas/gift making thread) about ways of flavouring vodka to make it more interesting (though i suppose it depends on whether you're drinking it straight or as a mixer - i doubt toffee flavoured vodke would go that well with coke. then again ..!
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 20th Mar 06, 8:54 PM
    • 9,140 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 20th Mar 06, 8:54 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 8:54 PM
    I mentioned this weeks ago when another OS mse on this board asked about the difference between cheap and expensive vodka.

I said yes the more expensive would have been filtered more times and would be made from ingredients.

And told them to try filtering them cheap stuff to make it smoother.

Yours

Calley
  • amosworks
    [Cross-posted and confused]

In my home town there's a place called Bar Soviet that sells about 30 flavours of vodka, some real weird stuff in there!

Chocolate-mint is definitely my favourite!
  • alikat
    I'm not a vodka drinker myself but carrying on from Serinity, some years ago my mother had a Russian Student staying in her home, who told her always to keep the Vodka in the freezer which she does & it doesn't freeze either.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 20th Mar 06, 9:36 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    I have done the same and it works really well. In reply to keeping vodka in the freezer, definately the best place for it

Oh and BTW have any of you tried vodka skittles????

1 bottle of vodka and one family sized bag of skittles, remove some vodka from bottle to allow for expansion, pour skittles into bottle and leave in a cupboard somewhere until all the skittles have dissolved. Serve ice cold as a shot. Totally gorgeous.

Thanks to wirm for posting that one in the arms yonks and yonks ago
  • hermit-crab
    I tried wirms recipe too a while ago and it makes a great talking point at parties. The skittles stick to the bottom so there is no chance of choking on them. I have looked for wirms original recipe but I cannot work the search so this is all I could find.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1139907&postcount=61

I have no doubt that arkonite_babe will be able to find the original recipe for us.
    Last edited by hermit-crab; 20-03-2006 at 10:12 PM.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 21st Mar 06, 3:28 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, now that's a good one

I'll go ask Wirm, he'll know
  • wirm
    Thanks for the pm a_B I can't find the original post but this is how I make it.

Get your bottle of vodka and put in a packet of skittles. You may need to pour out some vodka in case it overflows. If you are using a litre bottle of vodka you may want to use a large packet.

Put the bottle into the freezer - its quicker to make it and it will be colder which is far better when drinking raw vodka! lol

Leave it until all the colour has gone out of the skittles and into the vodka.

When its ready give it a good shake.

Pour into shot glasses.

-------down it in one!

Note: Take the green skittles out before putting them into the bottle, they don't give it the nicest taste
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 21st Mar 06, 4:02 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Thanks wirm for posting that up for me, now I'm gonna have to buy a bottle of vodka and a bag of skittles this weekend. That's really put me in the mood to make some
    • cozzie
    • By cozzie 21st Mar 06, 5:45 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    cozzie
    You guys are genius.

My 2 fav things in the world - VODKA & SOUR SKITTLES.

Will update this weekend when I've tried that.

Ta
    "And crawling on the planet's face,
    Some insects called the human race,
    Lost in time, and lost in space,
    And meaning"
    • pixie1
    • By pixie1 21st Mar 06, 5:51 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    pixie1
    Ive tried vodka and cola cubes yummy I havent tried filtering it before though but i will at the weekend now i need to look for a good deal on a britta filter jug

Not this is very SO but i love vodka melon, just cut a hole in the top of a melon stick a funnel in there and keep topping up with vodka over a few days. Yummy at b-b-q's in the summer I cant take credit for this though its a jamie oliver reciepe.

Pixie
    Last edited by pixie1; 21-03-2006 at 6:07 PM.
    Debt Free At Last!
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 21st Mar 06, 6:06 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    Note: Take the green skittles out before putting them into the bottle, they don't give it the nicest taste
    by wirm
    You've obviously done a lot of 'research' on this!!

Think I may need to get another filter jug especially for vodka now!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 21st Mar 06, 6:22 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    I use filters that are near the end of their life for the jug, it works ok on the vodka and saves a fortune on buying new filters just for this.

HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

4,112Users online

Martin's Twitter