Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Bunny200
    Rubbish Question!
    • 14th May 09, 11:49 AM
    Rubbish Question! 14th May 09 at 11:49 AM
    I was wondering what everyone does with their kitchen scraps? I found out recently that although the council collect GARDEN waste we can't put kitchen scraps in it so now I'm in quandry as to what to do with it all. I don't have the room for a compost bin in the garden but I produce a lot of vegetable/fruit waste in the kitchen that I don't want to put in landfill. I would use the compost but can't really find the room for it in the garden. What do you do?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 19-05-2009 at 8:13 PM.
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 14th May 09, 11:56 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 14th May 09, 11:56 AM
    • 14th May 09, 11:56 AM
    We compost ours, but we can put kitchen scraps in the council bin, so long as there's no cooked food or meat. Small wormery or bokashi bin (http://www.bokashibucket.co.uk/)?
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 14th May 09, 12:01 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 14th May 09, 12:01 PM
    • 14th May 09, 12:01 PM
    Hi Bunny,

I put all raw fruit and veg scraps in the composter too. Our council recommend putting these in the brown council bin along with garden waste. Like Magentasue says as long as there is no cooked food in there, it usually isn't a problem.

Personally I can't see any difference between adding a few veg peelings and stalks to adding grass cuttings and leaves. :confused: Could you phone your local council to check exactly what they allow you to put in the bin?

Pink
  • Bunny200
    • 14th May 09, 12:06 PM
    Hi Bunny,

I put all raw fruit and veg scraps in the composter too. Our council recommend putting these in the brown council bin along with garden waste. Like Magentasue says as long as there is no cooked food in there, it usually isn't a problem.

Personally I can't see any difference between adding a few veg peelings and stalks to adding grass cuttings and leaves. :confused: Could you phone your local council to check exactly what they allow you to put in the bin?

Pink
    Originally posted by Pink-winged

Thats what prompted the question, I contacted the council for clarification over egg shells as I wasn't sure whether they would be ok or not and was told that we couldn't put any kitchen waste in there even uncooked waste as it would have to be treated differently. I'm with you I can't see whats different between grass cuttings and potato peeling but thats what I was told.
    • Margaret52129
    • By Margaret52129 14th May 09, 12:06 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Margaret52129
    Our town has just gone over to a 'green' collection where by we have to put food waste into a brown bin (in compostable bags), plastic bottles (no lids) into a white sack, papers & magazines into a green sack and bottles and tins into a box. The rest of the rubbish is put into bin bags and into a wheelie bin. So far the collections have been a bit haywire and some are collected weekly and some are collected fortnightly!

but this doesn't help answer your question does it - I've just gone off on one, sorry! - but before we had these collections, I put what food waste (uncooked) into the compost bin, but if you've no room for one, do you have some allotments near you which you could approach for any vegetable/fruit skins etc? They may take them off you and be pleased to do so.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th May 09, 4:22 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 11,234 Thanks
    Farway
    • 14th May 09, 4:22 PM
    • 14th May 09, 4:22 PM
    I think you have to be pragmatic, just chuck it in the normal refuse bin along with the hoover bag dust, polystyrene, batteries, bottle caps etc

I do, and I can hear the howls of the green lobby now, but am I really expected to drive a 10 mile round trip to dispose of a watch battery? I think not
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 14th May 09, 6:19 PM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    • 14th May 09, 6:19 PM
    • 14th May 09, 6:19 PM
    I produce a lot of vegetable/fruit waste in the kitchen that I don't want to put in landfill.
    Originally posted by Bunny200
    Why not? Apart from the fuel used to get it there, which won't be much!
  • Marcie
    • 14th May 09, 6:23 PM
    • 14th May 09, 6:23 PM
    I was going to get a composter, but our local council is starting up a weekly food waste collection later this year (which you can opt-in to).

They provide 2 bins, one for inside and one for outside, and will take all raw and cooked food!
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 15th May 09, 10:35 AM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 15th May 09, 10:35 AM
    • 15th May 09, 10:35 AM
    I live in a flat and the only recycling we have is glass and tins.

Never worked out what to do with cooked/raw kitchen scraps. No room for a composter in our tiny garden and don't really fancy a wormery in the flat (plus not much room!).
    Grocery Challenge August = 300 hopefully!
    DMP support thread (member #32)

• ascot64
    I use a waste disposer. See this page to see how environmentally friendly they are.

http://www.insinkerator.co.uk/aboutFWD/environmental-benefits.aspx

We struggle to fill our green bin (normal household waste) for our fortnightly collections.
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 15th May 09, 1:19 PM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 35,495 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    In our local council tips there is a section for compostable waste, so people can drop theirs off, and then if needed pick up free compost too.

May not be practical for you though.

Any neighbours have a compost heap you can donate to?

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Paula anne
    We put ours in our wormery, along with cardboard and eggshells etc.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 19th May 09, 1:25 PM
    • 9,206 Posts
    • 29,304 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi, sorry for hijacking. The reason you can't put food waste in with your garden waste is due to the animal by-products regulations that were brought in after the foot and mouth outbreak.

Any food waste that is composted commercially needs to be done in an enclosed environment where it is protected from wildlife and vermin who could spread it around the landscape and potentially spread diseases.

Most garden waste is composted outside in windrows so it is not possible to accept food waste in these. Those councils that do accept it with the garden waste are most likely composting using an 'in-vessel' composter which essentially sterilises the waste before it is composted.

If you don't have room for a compost bin, then a wormery or bokashi bin would be the way to go, as suggested before
    • Yorkielass
    • By Yorkielass 19th May 09, 2:15 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    Yorkielass
    jwil is right, where I live the garden waste is composted presumably in the open and then local farmers spread it on their land and they don't want any food waste at all in there. We have a small garden but have made space for a compost bin and it's been really helpful when filling our new raised beds recently!
    The great declutter 2015 "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    Became Mortgage Free Wannabe 28/08/13
    Mortgage at start (Aug 2012) 165099 - MFD Aug 2042
    Mortgage now (November 2015) 132020.04 - MFD March 2036 - Aiming for 2025
    • GreenMan
    • By GreenMan 20th May 09, 5:36 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    GreenMan
    Why not? Apart from the fuel used to get it there, which won't be much!
    Originally posted by geordie joe
    I think the point he/she is concerned about is that food waste going into landfill is an unecessary waste of energy - i.e. the energy used in the whole food production process. Food waste does not need to be waste and is a valuable source of compost which has many of its own benefits including reducing the need for fertilisers and pesticides and reduces take up of peat based compost products to name but two. Food waste into landfill is also expensive and the UK is light years behind other countries on this and is facing fines by the European Parliament over failing targets. We're rapidly running out of landfill space. In addition the gases realeased in landfill include Methane which is a key contributor to global warming.
    • juliapenguin
    • By juliapenguin 20th May 09, 6:04 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    juliapenguin
    Hi there

I can't have a compost bin at the moment, but we have a lidded bucket in the kitchen and a friend who has an allotment calls in on me en route and takes it away then puts it in his compost bin. Do you know anyone who has an allotment? If my allotment friend is away I take it to another friend with a big garden. After years of composting I can't just put the veg waste in the bin (we have quite a lot of it). Yes, it's a bit of trouble but I think it's worth it.
  • shaz22
    Recycling and/or re-using everything, or passing things on to people who can use them is definitely the money saving way to go. If we don't local authorities will soon be fined by Europe for putting too much into landfill and they will, of course, pass that charge on to us in the form of council tax hikes etc. So if your council doesn't do food waste and/or decent recycling collections start lobbying and also lobby the supermarkets and fast food outlets etc to reduce packaging and waste.
    • consultant31
    • By consultant31 21st May 09, 5:19 AM
    • 4,738 Posts
    • 14,443 Thanks
    consultant31
    I have a neighbour with rabbits and guinea pigs who's always happy to take my fruit and veg peelings for the animals.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
    • slick detective
    • By slick detective 22nd May 09, 2:00 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    slick detective
    Thats what prompted the question, I contacted the council for clarification over egg shells as I wasn't sure whether they would be ok or not and was told that we couldn't put any kitchen waste in there even uncooked waste as it would have to be treated differently. I'm with you I can't see whats different between grass cuttings and potato peeling but thats what I was told.
    Originally posted by Bunny200
    well,what the eye don't see the eye the chef gets away with so just hide your egg shells under the grass cuttings and stuff and they ain't gonna bother all they do with it is compost it and sell it on(i think)and egg shells are brilliant for compost they consist of calcium maybe i could brush my teeth with thembesides the woman on the phone was probably in menopause and moody or just unenthuastic.now your gonna tell me it was a man aren't you:rolleyes: besides some councils really have no idea what they are doing it's as if they're still on the hemp and they're probably claiming for it too
    Last edited by slick detective; 22-05-2009 at 2:08 PM.
    • squeekymoo
    • By squeekymoo 22nd May 09, 4:34 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    squeekymoo
    [QUOTE=Bunny200;21542099]I was wondering what everyone does with their kitchen scraps? I found out recently that although the council collect GARDEN waste we can't put kitchen scraps in it so now I'm in quandry as to what to do with it all. I don't have the room for a compost bin in the garden but I produce a lot of vegetable/fruit waste in the kitchen that I don't want to put in landfill. I would use the compost but can't really find the room for it in the garden. What do you do?

[
    we must be the lucky ones as bexley council collect our compostable waste weekly including all garden and kitchen scraps - we are encouraged to 'scrape the plate' so cooked food and raw can go in - it does get a bit stinky in the summer though but small price to pay. i think they heat treat the waste to make compost whihc you can then buy from the council
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,640Posts Today

4,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin