Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    nabowla
    Holiday at Home DFW Style!
    • 18th Mar 06, 5:13 PM
    Holiday at Home DFW Style! 18th Mar 06 at 5:13 PM
    I've got 10 days' leave coming up v soon (start on Weds). The original plan was to do lots of day trips. However, now that I've had my lightbulb moment, I realise that I can't afford to spend 20+ per day on a train fare and then 20+ on food/shopping/entrance fees etc. So I'm trying to come up with lots of ideas of things to do for c.5 or less per day. With any luck one or two days will be spend-free.

Right now I've come up with the following ideas:

- Spend free day at the V&A (using my Friends card to get free entrance to the fashion museum and taking a packed lunch to eat in the Friends Room)
    - Craft day at home (already have all the materials for a couple of projects)
    - Spend free day visiting a local Nat Trust property (bus to house using Oystercard & free entrance. Must remember not to go anywhere near the cafe!)
    - Invite family for home-made Sunday lunch & afternoon walk (food to come from weekly grocery budget)
    - Day at the British Museum (free tours. 5 for lunch as there's nowhere to eat a packed lunch)
    - Day out cycling (only if it's a bit warmer!!!)

Have any of you got any other bright ideas for things to do or ways to keep myself motivated? I know it's going to be really, really hard as I'll want to treat myself to posh lunches, shopping, beauty treatments, coffees etc

Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-03-2006 at 4:28 PM.
Page 1
  • LookingAhead
    • 18th Mar 06, 5:20 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 5:20 PM
    What a good thread to start!

How about if you planned a days pampering at home, broken up with the best lunch & coffee you can bring yourself to buy, for lunch?

Get up, make a lovely breakfast......give yourself a bit of a pedicure/manicure.....pluck your eyebrows.....give yourself a facial (you can use salt on a face cloth as a natural exfoliater and I have a Dermalogica face pack sample I can send you if you want it!)....have a long soak in a nice bubble bath or long luxurious shower.....deep condition your hair........apply a rich body lotion.....do your hair & makeup (all this is broken up by the lunch of course!) and then maybe you could arrange to meet a friend when they leave work and go for a couple of glasses of wine? That way you get to show off just how gorgeous you're looking after all that effort of course!

(I want to do that now.....!)
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 18th Mar 06, 5:21 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    • 18th Mar 06, 5:21 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 5:21 PM
    Can you do a spa day at home? Plan a whole day of pampering, mani, pedi, fake tan, etc., with a bottle of wine and a DVD to enjoy at the end of it all.

Just spend a day with a friend, chatting and window shopping.

Spend the day cooking a lovely posh meal (3 courses?) to eat at the end of it, or bake lots of goodies to scoff.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • crawley_girl
    • By crawley_girl 18th Mar 06, 7:50 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    crawley_girl
    • 18th Mar 06, 7:50 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 7:50 PM
    Go to the cinema in the morning... our local does 'earlybird' discounts - hopefully yours does too.

CG
    Ever wonder about those people who spend 2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
    • crawley_girl
    • By crawley_girl 18th Mar 06, 7:53 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    crawley_girl
    • 18th Mar 06, 7:53 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 7:53 PM
    Another idea... local beauty/ hair colleges need people to practise their skills on. Often very cheap and supervised by tutor at all times.
    Ever wonder about those people who spend 2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • postingalwaysposting
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:01 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:01 PM
    dvd day? all those dvds you want to watch again/never properly watched, just buy a bag a pop corn for say 2 and you are away

• $17mma
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:05 PM
    Great thread Nabola
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:05 PM
    This is really good.

We are holidaying at home (UK) this year nd I have not got a clue what I am going to do with the kids.

But this has given me some good ideas, and cheap and cheerful!
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • D&DD
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    Great thread Nabowla I'm sure lots of us can do with inspiration for these sort of days..me personally I'm a homebody anyways so I'd plan a day for having a bakeup (old style of course ) to stock up the freezer when you go back to work
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
  • nabowla
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:56 PM
    • 18th Mar 06, 8:56 PM
    Love the ideas guys! Thinking about it I've got a whole stack of beauty samples that I could use for a home treatment day and a DVD subscription that I don't use as much as I should. I could also have a day trying out some new recipes from that huge stack of cooking books that I bought in my pre-lightbulb days. Might as well get some benefit from all that money I spent

Was talking to Mum earlier and she suggested that I investigate getting free tickets to the recording of a radio or TV programme - maybe Radio 4's Reading Group or something. Has anyone done this before? How would I find out how to get tickets?

If I get any other ideas I'll post them here in the hope that they're useful to someone else too.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 18th Mar 06, 8:58 PM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    Ooh well if you are in London... you have the lot to look forward to!

Why not give yourself a tenner ( if you can afford it) and mooch round the markets? My local one at roman road will get you some pretty great stuff.

Museums, galleries, LOADS of em are free

Depending on the weather a walk round some of the parks is a must, wrap up warm and hit hyde park

Prince Charles Cinema, they have tickets for 1! Have a look on website!
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 18th Mar 06, 9:19 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    fannyadams
    You could come round my house and clean it from top to bottom, if you're bored!
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • elona
    • By elona 19th Mar 06, 8:29 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    I have about three huge piles of ironing if you are really desperate!

How about a small home improvement task?

Buy a couple of tester pots or mix together oddments of paint and paint just one wall in any room you want to change a bit- call it a designer "accent" wall.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Mar 06, 8:43 AM
    • 6,923 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Pooky
    The National Portrait Gallery is free - could spend hours in there.....

For those of you with kids...during holidays and half terms they do "art workshops" there too - just ask any of the guides about them. We popped in for a quick wander last year on the way to Hamleys and got involved, got to go behind the scenes to one of their workshops - all got given (parents and adults) paper and charcol and taken to do some sketching around the gallery....then back to the workshops to make some models from different bits and bobs - all free and we stayed there for about 4 hours....kids were so pleased, they got to bring their models home (not easy on the train) and we never got to Hamleys so very money saving indeed.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 19th Mar 06, 8:52 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    also take a look at this http://www.londonforfree.net/
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • Lewby
    • By Lewby 19th Mar 06, 10:28 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    Lewby
    What a brilliant idea for a thread! As I've got kids I'm always trying to think of things to do with them in the holidays and now I'm a DFW it needs to be cheap! You're right Nabowla about food costing so much when you are out. With 5 kids even a McDonalds costs not less than 20!

As you are in London are there any things that you could do as a volunteer that would be interesting to you? There must be some websites with stuff like that on.

Hope you won't mind me pinching this idea for another thread at the start of the Easter Holidays 'Got kids with nothing to do for 2 weeks!!'. I'm sure we can collectively come up with some action paked days out for next to nothing!

Hope you have a great holiday!
    ** Official DFW Nerd Club Member 009**
    Total Debt 01/02/11 64,912 01/04/16 32,700
    NSD's for April 01/15 GC 0 / 300
    Weight lost to get to target 7/28lbs
  • nabowla
    Don't mind anyone pinching the idea to start another thread if it helps! I'll keep my eyes open for ideas for the Easter hols. One thought springs to mind straight away: are you a member of the Nat Trust/English Heritage or similar? I'm a member and hardly ever use my membership, which is stupid as the days out are free if you're already paid your annual subscription! A lot of properties have special Easter activities for the kids too, e.g Easter egg hunts.

Speaking of Easter eggs, how about having a craft morning painting and decorating eggs, making Easter bonnets etc (not sure how old your kids are, but you get the idea).
    • Batgirl
    • By Batgirl 19th Mar 06, 12:03 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    Batgirl
    Why not spend some time thinking about how to make extra money, list all your things on ebay, amazon or do a car boot. i know this is a boring idea but when your at work you won't fancy doing it and if you do this at the beginning of your ten days you could have made enough money to have a nice lunch out towards the end of your hols, and paid of some debt rather than getting in more. Also you said about doing some cratfs, are you good enough at making anything that you could sell? Boring ideas I know but they could be useful.

Ps enjoy your hols!
    May 2015 10 a day currently 208
  • MrsMW
    Spend a day looking round all those cheap shops that you don't have time to look at normally. It's amazing what you can find.
    Enjoy!
  • LookingAhead
    I have been to a free radio show...I went to see the News Quiz (RIP the fabulous Linda Smith) being recorded in London last year and it was really really good. You just apply for tickets via the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/

Go for it! See what you can get.
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
    • summerday
    • By summerday 19th Mar 06, 4:54 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    summerday
    As of today a new passtime of mine is to visit showhomes- we have to spin a bit of a yarn about the price range but it's fun looking round the gorgeous new homes dreaming about living there and nicking decor ideas for our current abode!

Also if you like animals you could visit pet shops like Pets at Home, it's nice to see all the bunnies and parrots etc. Also visiting animal shelters. Only thing is you have to be disciplined to not come home with loads of new pets!

Go to the library and borrow loads of books on all subjects, including crafts etc that you said you like.

You could do a collage and stick lots of pictures in a scrapbook/ piece of paper of all the things you would like in your life when you are debt free- could be a new career, new house/car, a new hobby...whatever!

Have a great time!

Sarahx
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,518Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin