Freezing Sandwiches?

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any success with making one big batch of sarnies, then freezing them in daily 'lunch packs'?

This is money saving related, honest, my other half should be taking lunch to work to save buying food during the day, but he forgets to make his sarnies. Would be nice just to make a batch on Sunday, and take them out each day.

If anyone does this, what fillings work well?

Thanks folks!

M.
:D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i do it for the kids with meats, ham, chicken etc, but not salad as it doesn't freeze very well. i make big batch on sunday, wrap and freeze and get out when needed. Jam works for kids, so does chocolate spread. if you get out in morning they are defrosted by lunchtime. also if you bake sponge type cake, you can freeze that in portions too to take with it. hth.

• Marsie
    Marsie Posts: 96 Forumite
    That's great, thanks - have you ever tried things like pate, egg mayo?

Suppose pickles/chutneys should be OK?

How about cheese?

M.
    :D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,110
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    you can freeze cheese, tho never done it for sandwiches.not sure about pickles.does other half have fridge at work he could store pickle jars in? other than that what i do for my hubby is buy the pick & mix mini pickle jars from morrisonsand put one of them in lunch box. works out more expensive than big jar of pickles but still cheaper than buying sandwich every day.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cheese and pickle (branston variety) works. pate and pastes work too, but not if left for longer than a week. never tried egg mayo, but sure someone will know.
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    you can't freeze eggs themselves as they go all rubbery. don't know about egg mayo tho.
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    other tip i picked up about packed luches. does other half also have crisps/choc bar/cake slice etc. Put all lunchbox items into large container. only lunchbox foods to go in. then pick 2 or 3 whatever items from this box each day. quicker & easier than hunting thru cupboards to see what's in.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bet that'd work great with the kids lunches, always going through different cupboards. why haven't i thought of that. ???
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    i hadn't thought of it either;think it was on miserly mums
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    just thought of other tip on there about packed lunches.
    keep all sandwich fillings eg ham,chicken,cheese etc all pre-wrapped all together in lunch box in fridge. Same idea ,so only going to one place to get stuff out.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    whats miserly mums, sure i've heard of it, but can't think where
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business