Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 14th Mar 06, 8:57 PM
    • 2,177Posts
    • 2,170Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Speaking of my Rumtopf in the other thread,
    • 14th Mar 06, 8:57 PM
    Speaking of my Rumtopf in the other thread, 14th Mar 06 at 8:57 PM
    How and when do i get it started for xmas.I`ve never used it but love the fruit that it produces.
    What fruit is best and whats the best spirit.
    thanks val :rolleyes:
Page 1
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Mar 06, 9:15 PM
    • 7,509 Posts
    • 50,969 Thanks
    Gers
    • 14th Mar 06, 9:15 PM
    • 14th Mar 06, 9:15 PM
    Best spirit....Rum! Others will do though.

Best fruit... peaches, plums, apricots, cherries.

Reminds me of my childhood days and happy Christmas times.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 14th Mar 06, 9:52 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,133 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 14th Mar 06, 9:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 06, 9:52 PM
    We did ours with rum, peaches, melon, raspberries and grapes........was lush - had a very merry new year with that.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Lydia
    • 14th Mar 06, 10:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 06, 10:01 PM
    Its probably a very silly question, but what is Rumtopf?
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 14th Mar 06, 11:18 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 14th Mar 06, 11:18 PM
    • 14th Mar 06, 11:18 PM
    When I lived in Germany the family I lived with always used dark rum and used peaches, pears, plums, apricots and satsumas. It was always really really sweet and lovely and the fruit was yummy. My Mum used to do a similar thing with gin and berry fruits in the summer - that was even nicer!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 15th Mar 06, 5:38 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 15th Mar 06, 5:38 AM
    • 15th Mar 06, 5:38 AM
    http://www.fantes.com/rumtopf.htm#recipe
    Never heard of it before, but sounds delicious!!!!!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 15th Mar 06, 6:35 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 15th Mar 06, 6:35 AM
    • 15th Mar 06, 6:35 AM
    In 'Kettle Broth to Gooseberry Fool' by Jenny Baker,there's a recipe for Hodgkin.She describes it as the Kentish version of rumtopf. There's a French version called confiture de vieux garcon (old gentlemen's jam).I like the fact that there is an English version

The idea is that you add different fruits as they come into season.Start in early June and continue until Autumn.Leave to mature until Christmas.
    Jenny Baker says soft fruit are best;strawberries,raspberries,currants,cherries,ap ricots,peaches,loganberries tayberries.She doesn't mention gooseberries which would be the first English fruits to be ready.Or plums,gages and damsons which I think would be fantastic in something like this.She says to avoid citrus fruits.She uses brandy for Hodgkin.

I've made fruit liqueurs which are exactly the same principle but using one kind of fruit only.I've found that a hard fruit like quince works well if you grate it(hard work).
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 15th Mar 06, 7:10 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    • 15th Mar 06, 7:10 AM
    • 15th Mar 06, 7:10 AM
    Great one nuttywoman. Sooooo glad you brought this up. I've got a rumtopf thingy and have meant to find out what to put in it for ages. I'll give this a try later this year.

Great link catowen. Thanks. Sounds absolutely gorgeous.
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
    • finlay
    • By finlay 15th Mar 06, 8:52 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    finlay
    • 15th Mar 06, 8:52 AM
    • 15th Mar 06, 8:52 AM
    We often use brandy in ours - it is cheaper than rum and tastes great. Aldi do bags of frozen cherries and mixed fruit if you want to start one off when the fruits are out of season. The cherries are lovely and cheaper than buying fresh. I used some of the liquer at Xmas to make my cranberry sauce with Yummy!
    Snootchie Bootchies!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Mar 06, 2:13 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    I used to have one of those great big authentic rumtops and I just couldn`t fill it. I gave it away years ago. I found another this morning in TKMaxx for 14.99 and it is much smaller but is the same type of design and with a lid with a plastic seal. This is going to be ideal for the two of us

I remember that blackberries were hard and plums fairly tough. I used the cheapest white rum. The results were ok but not brilliant but I think I can do better. I was reading that strawberries are best halved. Any other tips please eg which alcohol is pretty failsafe
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 15th Mar 06, 3:17 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,133 Thanks
    Pooky
    We used a huge screw top jar for ours - the idea we used was to use the equivialnt weight of sugar to fruit then top with rum. We did ours in July and opened it on new years eve.....all the liquid went and we saved the fruit in the freezer to go in a trifle.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th May 06, 7:09 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    I want to get ready for the rumtopf so I`ll be buying the dark rum and sugar this morning. What fruit would you start with?
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 14th May 06, 7:22 AM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,133 Thanks
    Pooky
    We used white rum in ours - worked just as well.

We used melon, peaches, raspberries and grapes and it went very well.

I'll be starting another one off later in the year when the peaches/nectarines are in season and cheap in the market.

Enjoy.
    • pol
    • By pol 14th May 06, 11:38 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    I did three last year, dark rum, gin and vodka. By Christmas there was no difference in taste between the vodka and gin and the rum seemed to be a lot stronger. I've tried expensive spirits and cheapo ones, there's no difference at the end because all you taste is the fruit.
    I start with strawberries, and add as the year goes on, cherries, peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, blackberries etc. It's about a pound of fruit to half a pound of sugar and cover with the spirit. My kitchen smelled wonderful last year!

pol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin