Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tjretro
    No takeaway challenge
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:24 AM
    No takeaway challenge 28th Apr 09 at 10:24 AM
    Em (my wife) and I realised that a lot of our money was going on takeaways and we decided to embark upon a no takeaway month. The takeaways were costing us around 20-25 a time, so everytime we feel like having a takeaway we are going to put that amount into the savings account. See how much we have at the end of the month

Anyone else been spending too much on takeaways and fancy joining us on this challenge? So far we are on day 3 out of 28 and no hint of wanting a takeaway yet

#1 - tjretro 10/36
    #2 - debtfreenewbie
    #3 - karen_30
    #4 - bowski_1011
    #5 - glitterjunkie
    #6 - primula 3/31
    #7 - tinkdh
    #8 - Kezlou 5/28
    #9 - timeportal
    #10 - puss14
    #11 - sharon87
    #12 - moneysavingmonkey85 4/31
    #13 - ragstoricheswannabe
    #14 - twinmom04
    #15 - serios
    #16 - wigwam 1/29
    #17 - fedupandskint 3/31

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by tjretro; 06-05-2009 at 7:56 AM. Reason: add members
    Debt Free Wannabe LBM: 23/01/08
    Debt relief order: January 2013 (Discharged Jan 2014)
    Jacamo: 115.81. Rebuilding credit rating
Page 1
    • debtfreenewbie
    • By debtfreenewbie 28th Apr 09, 10:44 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    debtfreenewbie
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:44 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:44 AM
    Can I join you? Our last take away was 6 days ago. Weekends are the worse for us if we go into a town.
    I have a jar to put the money in..
  • Karen_30
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:48 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:48 AM
    Can I join please??

I don't eat loads of take aways a couple a month (still two too many) but am on a diet too so it'll help with the weight and money issues!

K x
    • Bowski_1011
    • By Bowski_1011 28th Apr 09, 11:05 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    Bowski_1011
    • 28th Apr 09, 11:05 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 11:05 AM
    Ohh I'd love to join this challenge please! I have cut down my takeaways sooo much since I joined this site but doubt I have ever actually gone a full month without one.

I am also trying to lose weight like so it should help there too.

Good luck everyone, I really don't think it's going to be easy!
    Last edited by Bowski_1011; 28-04-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
    Getting back on it Oct 2012
    Debt Oct '12 1398.70
    NSD Oct 1/10
    GC Oct 102.11/150.00
    • glitterjunkie
    • By glitterjunkie 28th Apr 09, 11:53 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    glitterjunkie
    • 28th Apr 09, 11:53 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 11:53 AM
    Can I join in aswell please? Me and OH are so bad for takeaways! We have already been cutting down for a few months now, after realising just how much we were spending on them (as well as wasting food we had in the house). But it's still so tempting on those nights when you can't be bothered to cook!

I think a good idea for us might be to have takeaway style food but just find cheaper alternatives - so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself! For example, we love pizzas, and quite often spend 20 on a Dominos or Pizza Hut - which is ridiculous really, but so yummy! I know you can get supermarket pizzas, but they are a bit boring and just don't compare to a lovely cheesy takeaway one do they? BUT we've recently discovered 'Chicago Town Takeaway' frozen pizzas from the supermarket - they are 2.98 and I think they're actually nicer than Dominos! Having one of those instead of takeaway saves us 17, so we're going to do that in future. Just shove them in the oven for 20 minutes (which is as long as you'd wait for a pizza to arrive anyway!) I make sure we've always got 2 or 3 in the freezer now, for a Friday or Saturday night. I recommend the pepperoni or chicken supreme with tomato sauce stuffed crust

We are also bad for spending 20 on Chinese takeaways too though - haven't managed to find a cheaper version of those yet! I've thought of getting those supermarket ones instead, which Tesco and Asda do in plastic bags - they're about 6 for two main meals, and you get all the extras like spring rolls and prawn crackers with it too. They do Indian versions too for 6 - you get 2 curries and naan bread, poppadoms, onion bhajis etc. That would save 14 if we got one of those, rather than a proper takeaway. Might make it this weekend's mission to try one!

Good luck everyone xxx

Attempting to pay off our debts! Balances Jan 2018 -
    Family member 3,700 - Virgin CC 1,000 - MBNA 1,700 - Barclaycard 2,500 (was 2,700) - Halifax CC 1,280
    • crystal9
    • By crystal9 28th Apr 09, 12:04 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    crystal9
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:04 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:04 PM
    Can I join in aswell please? Me and OH are so bad for takeaways! We have already been cutting down for a few months now, after realising just how much we were spending on them (as well as wasting food we had in the house). But it's still so tempting on those nights when you can't be bothered to cook!

I think a good idea for us might be to have takeaway style food but just find cheaper alternatives - so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself! For example, we love pizzas, and quite often spend 20 on a Dominos or Pizza Hut - which is ridiculous really, but so yummy! I know you can get supermarket pizzas, but they are a bit boring and just don't compare to a lovely cheesy takeaway one do they? BUT we've recently discovered 'Chicago Town Takeaway' frozen pizzas from the supermarket - they are 2.98 and I think they're actually nicer than Dominos! Having one of those instead of takeaway saves us 17, so we're going to do that in future. Just shove them in the oven for 20 minutes (which is as long as you'd wait for a pizza to arrive anyway!) I make sure we've always got 2 or 3 in the freezer now, for a Friday or Saturday night. I recommend the pepperoni or chicken supreme with tomato sauce stuffed crust

We are also bad for spending 20 on Chinese takeaways too though - haven't managed to find a cheaper version of those yet! I've thought of getting those supermarket ones instead, which Tesco and Asda do in plastic bags - they're about 6 for two main meals, and you get all the extras like spring rolls and prawn crackers with it too. They do Indian versions too for 6 - you get 2 curries and naan bread, poppadoms, onion bhajis etc. That would save 14 if we got one of those, rather than a proper takeaway. Might make it this weekend's mission to try one!

Good luck everyone xxx
    Originally posted by glitterjunkie
    great idea this, we have the indian ones from tesco and asda and i find them just as good and like you said a lot cheaper. good luck to you all
    have now given up smoking since feb 13th 2014 loving the money I'm saving
    • jessibell
    • By jessibell 28th Apr 09, 12:09 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jessibell
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:09 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:09 PM
    great idea this, we have the indian ones from tesco and asda and i find them just as good and like you said a lot cheaper. good luck to you all
    Originally posted by crystal9
    I love the Indian butter chicken and the korma from asda, both DEFINATELY as good as local take away if not better!
  • tjretro
    • 28th Apr 09, 1:14 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 1:14 PM
    Hey folks I think I have added everyone who wanted to be on the list, if I missed anyone give me a shout. We were easily spending 100+ a month on takeaways, plus they were making me ill (lactose intolerant and not allowed gluten, obviously both in takeaways!:rolleyes Hoping it will help with my weightloss as well
    • Primula
    • By Primula 28th Apr 09, 2:37 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    Primula
    • 28th Apr 09, 2:37 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 2:37 PM
    Hi all
    Tjretro - can I join in too please? I have drastically cut down on the takeaways since I became "addicted" to this site, but still give in to temptation every so often.
    Thank you, and good luck all.
    P
    X
    • Tinkdh
    • By Tinkdh 28th Apr 09, 2:47 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Tinkdh
    I'd love to join this challenge! Going on holiday on the 16th May so would love to go for that long without a takeaway.

Not sure how my husband is going to fare on this one as I am a terrible cook!!!

Our last takeaway was 8 days ago (I sound like a takeawayaholic!). Will put the money away in my little pot.
    • Bowski_1011
    • By Bowski_1011 28th Apr 09, 10:57 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    Bowski_1011
    I'm gonna do my challenge for the whole of May. I'll put it in my sig. I'm just trying to decide if it counts if someone else buys it? I know the whole idea is to save money so if someone else buys it then thats ok but as I'm doing it for diet reasons aswell then it should count. Will someone please tell me that i'm not allowed one even if someone else buys it haha! Don't think I have the will power to make the decision myself
    Debt Oct '12 1398.70
    NSD Oct 1/10
    GC Oct 102.11/150.00
  • tjretro
    Made it another day but was really tempted
    • Bowski_1011
    • By Bowski_1011 29th Apr 09, 12:05 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    Bowski_1011
    And just think if it wasn't for this challenge then chances are you's would have had one! Well done 20 in your @rse pocket rather than theirs
    Debt Oct '12 1398.70
    NSD Oct 1/10
    GC Oct 102.11/150.00
  • LearningToSave.
    on the subject of the supermarket takeaways.....i like the indian ones from pretty much any supermarket as does my husband,however i find the chinese ones absolutely horrid!!! id find it difficult to give up the chinese takeaway for this reason!
    • *Vikki*
    • By *Vikki* 29th Apr 09, 7:46 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    *Vikki*
    Good luck all! I never have takeaways, you know why? As you never know what they might flick, pick and put in there! And also so high in fat! Just remember that!
    • timeportal
    • By timeportal 29th Apr 09, 8:28 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    timeportal
    My wife and I also wish to join this, we keep trying to cut them out (easily do 20 - 30 a week!!!) but our combined will power is about zero on this one!
    Wins 2015:-

Jan; Jelly Belly Bean dispenser and beans
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 29th Apr 09, 9:15 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hi all can i join?
    Forgive me for have sinned, we badly need to stop eating takeaways as i am not only only surrounded by them, but i have found the best pizza shop in m'boro. Lets just say the account look bleak, and my children keep saying pizza please. My waistline is getting bigger (not good) so need to lose weight as well.

So pretty please could you put me down for 28 days as well.

Although i know for a fact we'll be eating out maybe twice this month as its my mothers and son's birthdays.

anywho good luck all!
  • la farfallina
    I haven't had a takeaway for months and don't miss them cos I make 'em meself. The Pataks website has quite a few recipe videos (bombay pots, chick pea curry, tarka dhal, onion bhajis) and I use the recipes from Jamies Ministry of Food cookbook (tikka masala, rogan josh, korma - all easy and delish!
    Hope this helps someone.

Farf x
    • jayss
    • By jayss 29th Apr 09, 9:44 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    jayss
    Theres a really good thread on chinese on the old style board.

Since moving I've no idea where the good takeaways are and so have been very good but I do eat out too much and so am loving the info on alternatives
  • tjretro
    Pow! Another day down
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin