Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • wishingonastar
    • 9th Mar 06, 11:51 AM
    • 9th Mar 06, 11:51 AM
    my daughter likes banana and jam in hers. not sure that'll help you much, but thats all she'll eat in one.
    £2 saver club 30th sept 198 £2 coins = £396(£350 banked)
  • overdrawn
    • 9th Mar 06, 11:53 AM
    • 9th Mar 06, 11:53 AM
    hiya.
    my kids eat them with;
    scrambled eggs
    chicken salad
    cheese and baked beans
    ham

HTH,
    louise
    well that was ruined by lending ex oh £2450 to move out!!!!!! now estimate 21st march 2006hoping to be debt free by end of feb 2006 - fingers crossed !!
    • melt71
    • By melt71 9th Mar 06, 12:01 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:01 PM
    I would say;

Egg mayo
    Tuna, sweetcorn and mayo
    ham and cheese maybe with tomatoes as it might be dry without it
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 9th Mar 06, 12:05 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:05 PM
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:05 PM
    I'm a grown up - apparently I eat much of the above, although not the banana and jam!! (might try it though, sounds alright!)

In mine I eat;

Salad and homous
    Veggie bacon and salad with mayo
    grated carrot and homous and salad

oo can't think of other things at the moment, but we eat them alot instead of bread so put anything in them!! We toast ours, but if you do this be careful when opening them as they are full of hot steam.

Hope she enjoys them

x x
    • Becles
    • By Becles 9th Mar 06, 12:09 PM
    • 12,879 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:09 PM
    Mine like:

tuna, sweetcorn, mayo and salad
    cream cheese
    prawn, mayo and salad
    egg, cress and tomato

I find using a "paste" like mayo helps keeps the ingredients in, so they don't fall out when they eat them. I do have very messy boys though!
    Here I go again on my own....
    • tooting_jane
    • By tooting_jane 9th Mar 06, 12:15 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    tooting_jane
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:15 PM
    I buy wholemeal pittas to make quick homemade pizzas. I use tomato puree watered down slightly with added mixed herbs and garlic granules. On top I put grated half fat hard cheese and whatever veg I have (thinly sliced onions, peppers etc or ham and pineapple is good). Then some more mixed herbs on top and some milled black pepper. I tend to lightly toast the pittas before adding tomato sauce to stop the pittas going too soggy. After adding the topping I stick them under the grill until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Healthy and so mmmmmm...
  • Smashing
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:20 PM
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:20 PM
    Peanut butter or Nutella & banana
    Pate
    Egg/chicken/tuna/prawn mayo
    Roasted veg
    Avocado
    Cheese & pickle
    Sliced meats & salad

Also toasted and sliced to dip in boiled eggs, houmous or other savoury dips.
    • tooting_jane
    • By tooting_jane 9th Mar 06, 12:22 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    tooting_jane
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:22 PM
    • 9th Mar 06, 12:22 PM
    Another thing I do with pittas is eat them toasted with homemade bolognaise sauce, iceberg lettuce and cheese in them. Don't make the sauce too runny or it'll go everywhere. You need lots of napkins for this! It's a great way of using of leftover bolognaise if you are sick of pasta!
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 9th Mar 06, 12:23 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    use anything hot / cold / sweet / savoury as you would with bread in a sarnie : )

we also do like t.jane and making it into a HM pitta pizza
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 9th Mar 06, 12:24 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    Another thing I do with pittas is eat them toasted with homemade bolognaise sauce, iceberg lettuce and cheese in them. Don't make the sauce too runny or it'll go everywhere. You need lots of napkins for this! It's a great way of using of leftover bolognaise if you are sick of pasta!
    by tooting_jane

my hubby puts chilli / curry anything in his well maybe not mash though im sure hed give it a go :rolleyes:
  • streetgirl74
    Thanks to everyone for your replys will be trying some of those ideas. Does anyone send them in childrens lunchboxes or are they a bit messy to send to school?
    • bizzy_lizzie
    • By bizzy_lizzie 9th Mar 06, 12:27 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    bizzy_lizzie
    For school lunches peanut butter & lettuce or hummous ( apparently they are sufficiently sticky to travel well in a plastic bag in jacket pocket & this means you get extra lunch break as you dont have to settle down with a lunch box in the dining room)
    At home, absolutely anything - leftever stew or stir fry, fish fingers salad & mayo, sausage egg & mushroom, peanut butter & honey.

We only buy normal bread to ahve with stews & soups or for toast otherwise wholemeal pitta for everything, maybe 8 packets a week.

Bizzy Lizzie
    Building an emergency fund and starting on the mortgage!
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 9th Mar 06, 12:27 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    My kids love theirs split into two halves vertically (making two smaller pockets) and stuffed with a little smear of mayo, lettuce, HM chilli con carne and grated cheese on top - kind of like tacos but cheaper (I use sainsburys basics or tesco value and they are lovely). They also like Tuna, sweetcorn and mayo, sausage and beans, cream cheese and jam and they also like them split cold and then toasted till crisp and spread with jam or syrup!
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 9th Mar 06, 12:34 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    I wrap in tinfoil to keep it all together till it's time to eat.

I also eat bolognaise and chilli in ours, anything left over from the night before will be fine!!

They are great for lunchs.

x x
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 9th Mar 06, 1:06 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    Chicken salad's probably the fave. Tuna and sweetcorn mayo; grated cheese and carrot. Sometimes we have a quorn burger chopped up with lots of salad and some garlic mayo so it's like a kebab. We also make pizzas out of them. The older girls sometimes just toast them and have butter on them. They're very flexible.

They're great for school lunches streetgirl, just slit the side open and stuff, so the contents stay in quite well.

Sausage and beans is a good idea recovering spendaholic, thanks.
    Last edited by Strepsy; 09-03-2006 at 1:09 PM.
  • streetgirl74
    Do you grill them or just serve them cold?
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 9th Mar 06, 1:10 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    Do you grill them or just serve them cold?
    by streetgirl74
    I pop them in the toaster for a couple of minutes. Easy peasy.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    DD likes grated cheese with grated carrot.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • mummysaver
    If we're at home I cut them in half and put some salad and half a farm lamb burger in each bit. For packed lunches it's mayonnaise, grated cheese, lettuce and cucumber. If we have them with soup, I toast them whilst I melt some cheese in the microwave, then spoon the melted cheese into the pitta - tasty!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

5,683Users online

Martin's Twitter