Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 14th Apr 09, 5:32 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease?
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:32 PM
    Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease? 14th Apr 09 at 5:32 PM
    This week the BBC Dig it campaign is giving away free seeds.

To celebrate we thought we’d hunt for info on the most lucrative things to grow at home or in small gardens.

So green fingered MoneySavers, if you’ve limited space what would you grow with ease, that’d cost serious amounts in supermarkets or farmers markets and what are your top tips for a bountiful crop? Any specific brands of fruit or veg that are easy but costly?

If possible please include costs both of growing the crop and how much it would cost to buy.

Click reply to discuss

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 14-04-2009 at 8:07 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • spirit
    • By spirit 14th Apr 09, 5:38 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 6,255 Thanks
    spirit
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:38 PM
    tomatoes are really expensive in the supermarkets yet really easy to grow even if you have limited space. Growbags, pots and hanging baskets can be used for them.

lettuces, radish, rocket - all the usual salad crops are easy and again you can grow in containers.

You can even put up a wigwam of bamboo canes in the garden or a tub and grow runner beans.

strawberries can be grown in pots too. Remember to cover them with some netting to stop the birds eating them before you do.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-04-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 14th Apr 09, 5:38 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    Fresh peas, they are delicious and taste their best when taken straight from the plant.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • Andybez38
    • By Andybez38 14th Apr 09, 5:40 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Andybez38
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:40 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:40 PM
    Marrow's and cuecumbers are easily grown in a growbag with little space.
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 14th Apr 09, 5:50 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:50 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:50 PM
    tomatoes are really expensive in the supermarkets yet really easy to grow even if you have limited space. Growbags, pots and hanging baskets can be used for them.

lettuces, radish, rocket - all the usual salad crops are easy and again you can grow in containers.

You can even put up a wigwam of bamboo canes in the garden or a tub and grow runner beans.

strawberries can be grown in pots too. Remember to cover them with some netting to stop the birds eating them before you do.
    Originally posted by spirit
    I've even grown strawberries, tomatoes and salads in window boxes and on balconies
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 14th Apr 09, 5:51 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:51 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:51 PM
    chillies too
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 14th Apr 09, 6:00 PM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • 14th Apr 09, 6:00 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 6:00 PM
    i would say runner beans in a pot, as the more you pick them the more the plant will produce, and lets face it when you buy runner beans in the supermarket they are all stringy and floppy....lol....

so for value for money, taste, plus you get the pretty flower before the bean appears.... so a double delight for the small garden
    Work to live= not live to work
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 14th Apr 09, 6:09 PM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    • 14th Apr 09, 6:09 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 6:09 PM
    Climbing french beans, you certainly get your moneys worth, or courgettes.
    A metre square for one of each and that will see you pretty well off in them all summer.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 14th Apr 09, 7:11 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:11 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:11 PM
    Herbs - you can grow them inside your house or out regardless if you have a garden or not. And they don't take up lots of space.

Cut and come again salad - this can also be grown inside as well as outside.

I've lived in a flat with no garden and limited space, and these where the easiest things to grow. With the herbs you don't even have to start them off as seeds as you can buy plants and repot them.
    Last edited by olly300; 14-04-2009 at 7:13 PM.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 14th Apr 09, 7:11 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    MissPop
    Strawberries - don't require a lot of effort, and plants are often pretty cheap to come by. Plus the fruit are so tasty and juicy, and quite abundant - I get fruit throughout the summer. Works out much cheaper than a punnet!

Tomatoes are also easy, and grow quickly and abundantly too - I got two plants for Ł1 each (I'm sure one can find cheaper!) last summer and had lovely juicy cherry toms throughout the summer.

Just my two cents, I haven't had much experience growing anything else (yet!)
    • cjb02
    • By cjb02 14th Apr 09, 7:20 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    cjb02
    Goji berries. very expensive to buy. cost loads of air miles as they come from China mainly. buy some dried goji berries. soak them in water, take seeds out of berries the following day and plant (this time of year is ideal) They can be grown in the ground or in a tub (I would suggest tub as they are easier to control) Can get to 12ft high but with a little pruning each year. Can be maintained at 3-4ft and you still get berries. They are very hardy plants and will over winter on a patio or in the garden.
    • fluffig
    • By fluffig 14th Apr 09, 8:22 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    fluffig
    Divide up a bulb of garlic and plant each clove a couple of inches down and a couple of inches apart. It's ready to harvest when the leaves wilt and go brown
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 14th Apr 09, 8:38 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    MissPop
    Goji berries. very expensive to buy. cost loads of air miles as they come from China mainly. buy some dried goji berries. soak them in water, take seeds out of berries the following day and plant (this time of year is ideal) They can be grown in the ground or in a tub (I would suggest tub as they are easier to control) Can get to 12ft high but with a little pruning each year. Can be maintained at 3-4ft and you still get berries. They are very hardy plants and will over winter on a patio or in the garden.
    Originally posted by cjb02
    Oooh, I saw goji berry plants in QD the other day - I was ever so surprised! They were only Ł2 IIRC. Apparently ever so good for you
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Apr 09, 9:04 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    Rhubarb - has gotten ridiculously expensive to buy. All you do is force it if you want it early & sweet.
    Sugar snap & mange tout are both pretty easy to grow as well.
    • angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 14th Apr 09, 9:16 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    Is any fresh veg cheap any more?

My list is as follows:

Beefsteak tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes (taste 100% better too)
    Patty pans
    Baby courgettes
    Mange Tout
    Sugar Snap peas
    Baby sweetcorn
    Chilis
    Rhubarb
    Mixed salad leaves
    Spinach
    Herbs
    Runner Beans
    French Beans
    Aubergines
    Blueberries

Can all be grown easily in a garden - most in pots.
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
  • amcluesent
    Basil so you can make you own pesto
    Suger snap peas
    Asparagus
    Lollo rosso

TBH, in season pretty much everything else is cheap at the supermarket and peeps growing at home are going to be producing just when the main crop comes in from the commercial growers.
  • nodwah
    Salads has surely got to win - if you look at a bag of perpared salad for Ł2 or so you could buy a packet of mixed seed eg unwins for Ł1.79 and get 1200+ seeds. Grow in old fruit punnets or tetra pack cartons halved legthways with a wee bag of economy compost (asda 89p) you don't really need expensive stuff - you have fresh salad leaves all summer- bargain!

Also for me Blueberries are amazing value - we originally bought 6 plants for something like Ł8 each - expensive outlay I know -( we have fairly acid soil and Hm compost so don't really need and special composts and I empty teabags round them too) and for about the last 10 years the bushes have given us pounds and pounds of fruit. Blueberries can be Ł2.99 for a 125g punnet and flown around the planet so my homegrown ones must be worth at least Ł100 a season - fantastic!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-04-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Apr 09, 10:20 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 6,638 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Raspberries, without a doubt!

If you plant a row of Autumn fruiting raspberries, you will get, for almost no effort, save cutting them to the ground in the winter and applying a handful of fertiliser, a big crop of a very expensive fruit, for next to no trouble and at little expense.
  • tsstss7
    I think the easiest things to grow that are also pretty expensive are the following perennial plants/ bushs :-

Rhubarb needs very little looking after and like said above once established can be forced by placing a dustbin over or some such device to provide lovely long red, sweet stalks.

black/red currants, - they are pretty hardy and provide mammoth crops after a few years they can be grown in pots too.

gooseberry - - ditto above

raspberry - need to clear ground quite well initially but afterwards they are little work.

Other than that the very easiest annual crops are radish and lettuce purely because they don't take long to germinate and are quick croppers so for the price of a packet of seeds, a biggish pot and some compost you could have these all summer.
    Last edited by tsstss7; 14-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    First DD
    First DD born in june.
  • Muffin99
    Interesting post!

I have rooted a stem of lemon grass I bought from supermarket and from that one stem I now have eleven! I tried it outside but it does best on my sunny window sill!

Pumpkins are well worth growing.

If you grow broad beans the tops of the plants are an absolute delicacy! Just boil them and see

I'm having a go with asparagus peas and cape gooseberries this year. Never tried either of them before, but I'm v hopeful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,586Posts Today

9,478Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin