Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ChocClare
    Healthy snacks for kids
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:32 PM
    Healthy snacks for kids 5th Mar 06 at 8:32 PM
    My children have (very laudably) given up chocolate biscuits for Lent. The trouble is, they come home from school and they're STARVING, particularly my 13-year-old son, who at the best of times eats like a locust who's been locked away from food for several months.
    Years ago, after watching an episode of Blue's Clues (and I wasn't working then either) they did this thing about Healthy Snacks (kids can still sing the tune) and I used to put out plates of fruit, cheese cubes, breadsticks etc. The thing is, I can't remember what I used to put out. I need ideas for things which are as instant as Kitkats (which is what they've given up) and are also healthy. My son is into rugby in a big way and wants to be superfit so now is as good a time as any to get him into really good habits. I don't mind a bit of preparation, but they get home from school the same time I get home from work and they want to eat NOW NOW NOW so it's got to be stuff they can open the larder or fridge and GET. Any good ideas??
Page 1
  • sandymogs
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:39 PM
    How about dried fruit or whole meal crisp breads with various toppings such as marmite.
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 5th Mar 06, 8:48 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:48 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:48 PM
    NOW NOW NOW so it's got to be stuff they can open the larder or fridge and GET. Any good ideas?
    Yep just buy healthy stuff and never shop with kids If you don't buy crap food, the kids have nothing to munch on, therefore you will know when kids raid the fridge all they get is good stuff

You can't eat what's not in the house
  • ChocClare
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:54 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:54 PM
    Thanks Kimberley, but I don't buy crap stuff or shop with the kids ever. They don't have crisps or sweets as snacks - generally have home-made cakes or flapjacks - Kitkats are the only extra thing. I just want ideas for "convenience" foods really! Meals I'm not worried about - that's all fresh and healthy.
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 5th Mar 06, 8:56 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:56 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:56 PM
    Thanks Kimberley, but I don't buy crap stuff or shop with the kids ever. They don't have crisps or sweets as snacks - generally have home-made cakes or flapjacks - Kitkats are the only extra thing. I just want ideas for "convenience" foods really! Meals I'm not worried about - that's all fresh and healthy.
    by ChocClare
    Ok ok, I was going to say home made Flapjacks but i see you already do them

How about mini wraps full with healthy stuff
    Last edited by Kimberley; 05-03-2006 at 8:58 PM.
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 5th Mar 06, 8:57 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:57 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 8:57 PM
    grapes, celery, carrots sticks etc
    I haven't got one!
  • Dobie
    • 5th Mar 06, 9:25 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 9:25 PM
    How about making up a couple of dips - one based on plain youghurt or creme fraiche with mint & cucumber, one tomatoey salsa type one with spring onion, chopped peppers & a bit of chilli if they like it. Then leave these in the fridge with some prepared veg or breadsticks for dipping.
    A bowl of fresh fruit salad prepared & left in the fridge & served with fruit yoghurt &, if they like them, a few seeds & nuts.
    Are they keen on cereal? I enjoy a bowl of bran flakes with fruit & yoghurt as a snack.
    You could bake one of the fat free, sugar free cakes on the board, cut into slices, wrap, freeze & leave a slice each ready for after school.
  • jcr16
    • 5th Mar 06, 9:29 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 9:29 PM
    maybe not very healthy but how about cheese on toast , or a bowl of cereal. my 2 year old started eating dried apricots and pineapple bits , i got from a health food shop the other day.

how about sandwiches with various fillings , homemade sausage rolls, ( not that cheap to make but very yummy and filling ) , crumpets , pancake's ( the type that comes in a pack and get heated up ), cheese scones or wholemeal scones and jam.homemade cakes , shortbread , quiche there are so many things. my list is prob not very healthy but stuff my daugther loves munching on.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 5th Mar 06, 10:00 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 5th Mar 06, 10:00 PM
    • 5th Mar 06, 10:00 PM
    Thanks jcr16,

You have just reminded me about scones. I haven't made them for ages, but I used to make scones in large batches and freeze them almost as soon as they cooled. It meant I could lift individual ones out of the freezer and gave them a quick blast in the oven when someone wanted one.

Guess what I'm going to do tomorrow morning and guess what my children are going to have after school tomorrow.

Pink
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 6th Mar 06, 7:47 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    HM popcorn is fast, healthy and cheap!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • Becles
    • By Becles 6th Mar 06, 7:57 PM
    • 12,879 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    For convenience you could buy Alpen bars, or similar.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • ladygrey
    Big cheers for your children giving up something they love for lent
    I've given up sweets
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 7th Mar 06, 6:03 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    milkshakes: whizz a banana or a tin of stawberries and milk with a hand blender
    by Pink-winged
    I have a friend who makes a huge batch of smoothies at breakfast and put the remainder in a jug in the fridge for pouring throught the day. Prehaps you could do the same??
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • Lucie
    The combination of growing fast & lunchtime/after school sports practice probably mean that your kids are famished when they get home. I know I always was. Fruit is great, but they probably need a carbohydrate boost so something like toast, flapjack or muffins. Do they want sweet or savory? If savory then cheese is easy - on toast, with crackers or on it's own. If sweet then you might need to do a bit more baking! What about a fridge cake - crushed digestives, chocolate, nuts, cherries etc left in the fridge to set? Very little baking required. Is that technically still a chocolate biscuit?!
    • saving-grace
    • By saving-grace 7th Mar 06, 8:33 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    saving-grace
    What about peanut butter sandwiches on wholemeal bread? I know peanut butter is high in fat but teenage boys need loads of calories plus its high in protein too. I like Whole Earth peanut butter as it has no added sugar.
    Also as someone else suggested, toast. I would prefer my children to have some toast, or bread and butter, to keep them going rather than a sugary snack.
    • mossy
    • By mossy 7th Mar 06, 9:20 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    Apples and cheese chunks, you could cut up the cheese in chunks and leave in the fridge but you might need to slice the apple when they arrive home.

Otherwise as someone else mentioned popcorn, they can even make it when they get home. When I was younger a friends mum used to do that and put a big bowl in the table and small bowls of brown sugar, icing sugar and salt and the kids could add a little bit of whatever if they wanted it.

Raisin covered in yoghurt? or maybe just some yoghurts.
    Saving for Disney again ...to big a target to face up to yet!
    Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - 10/1000 1%
    #083 SPC6 63 - SPC7 90 - SPC8 63 - SPC9 54 - SPC10 26 - SPC12
  • ChocClare
    Thanks for all your very useful suggestions, everyone. It was just what I needed - a bit of inspiration. You know how when you find yourself cooking the same old things and just need a bit of a shove to remember other things you used to cook?! Well, this was the same sort of thing. I feel fairly inspired now - mind you, I spread out HM flapjacks, assortment of fresh fruit, wholemeal muffins, cheese in cubes and breadsticks yesterday and the little so-and-so wolfed the whole lot while I was still bringing in shopping from the car and then announced he was starving! And he ate a huge supper at 7pm and at 8.30pm asked if there was any chance of scrambled eggs on toast...
  • Gingham Ribbon
    My 2 year old eats more than I do on some days. A sandwich is a pretty good instant snack. Eggy bread doesn't take long to fry up, neither do pancakes. Fruit, dried fruit and yoghurt are pretty instant.

Savoury muffins, flapjacks, breadsticks, crackers and cheese. My son sometimes asks for 'peas and sweetcorn'. (Just frozen ones cooked through in a bowl so he can nibble. :confused: It was his idea!)

Trouble is with muffins, scones, flapjack and home made biscuits, that they never last long enough to put away for instant snacks. They get wolfed down within a day or 2.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • getcarter
    • By getcarter 7th Mar 06, 11:10 AM
    • 890 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    getcarter
    My sons love FROZEN peas!
  • ChocClare
    Trouble is with muffins, scones, flapjack and home made biscuits, that they never last long enough to put away for instant snacks. They get wolfed down within a day or 2.
    by Gingham Ribbon
    That is SO true. I made some brownies one Monday: OH and DS were hovering as I took them out of the oven; I told them they could have ONE for pudding but made the mistake of putting them on the table. Managed to grab one to put in DD's lunchbox for the following day - the rest were all gone by bedtime...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter