Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 7th Apr 09, 5:05 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 20,205 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 7th Apr 09, 5:05 PM
    • 7th Apr 09, 5:05 PM
    I can't recommend any books on bread as I don't have any, but if you're looking for ideas, there's a guy who writes for the Guardian on bread and baking, Dan Lepard. He has a bread website with a forum on. Might be worth a look on there for recipes and ideas.
  • mouseymousey99
    • 7th Apr 09, 6:14 PM
    • 7th Apr 09, 6:14 PM
    Thank's Gigervamp - found his site:-
    http://www.danlepard.com/
    Looks good.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 7th Apr 09, 6:49 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 20,205 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 7th Apr 09, 6:49 PM
    • 7th Apr 09, 6:49 PM
    Yeah, I had a quick browse a few months ago, but haven't been back since.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 7th Apr 09, 7:01 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 7th Apr 09, 7:01 PM
    • 7th Apr 09, 7:01 PM
    you might like the River Cottage Bread Handbook. The basic loaf is a bit long-winded but he's quite vague about measurements so it might be up your street.
  • Mel2
    • 8th Apr 09, 9:07 AM
    • 8th Apr 09, 9:07 AM
    The Handmade Loaf by Dan Lepard is great!
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 8th Apr 09, 10:32 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    tawse57
    • 8th Apr 09, 10:32 AM
    • 8th Apr 09, 10:32 AM
    Deliah Smith's website has scores of wonderful bread receipes all online for free.

http://www.deliaonline.com/search/?qx=bread

Edit: typo
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 8th Apr 09, 10:47 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    • 8th Apr 09, 10:47 AM
    • 8th Apr 09, 10:47 AM
    Andrew Whiteleys Bread Matters is good - but my real find recently has been (honestly) "Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking" by Brother Rick Curry - rave reviews for every recipe I've tried.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • liz545
    • By liz545 8th Apr 09, 11:03 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    liz545
    • 8th Apr 09, 11:03 AM
    • 8th Apr 09, 11:03 AM
    I absolutely swear by the Dorling Kindersley Bread book. It has lots of really helpful photographs so you can see what the techniques and stages look like, there's a good mix of simple recipes for beginners, and then more complicated recipes for sourdoughs, and some flavoured, exotic and quick breads which are fun. The recipe for Pain Ordinaire is my favourite, but there's also a recipe for an Italian olive oil bloomer type loaf that's gorgeous!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
  • mouseymousey99
    Just wanted to say thanks - I've ordered the Dan Lepard book at amazon (I remember cutting some of his articles out - I made bagels from his notes too)!.
    The Father Rick one looks good too so I've ordered a 2nd hand one at amazon, and Liz many thanks - I'm running out of dosh now - so I've ordered the DK book at the library..
    Looks like I'm going to be busy!!
    Much appreciated
    Moragx
    Ps have also bought a copy of River cottage -
    Bread anyone??
    Last edited by mouseymousey99; 09-04-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Pea Brain...
    • Lwcus
    • By Lwcus 14th Apr 09, 11:23 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Lwcus
    I recommend Anne Sheasby's book =

'The Big Book of Bread - 365 Recipes for Bread machines and Home Baking' ISBN 1-84483-053-5 Duncan Baird Publ. London (2004)

also includes gluten-, wheat-, and yeast-free recipes

No one can make you feel insecure without your permission!
  • competitionscafe
    Dan is the man.

His baking with passion book is excellent too:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baking-Passion-Baker-Spice-Lepard/dp/1902757645/
    (Silly prices from amazon sellers but Waterstones says it is reprinting and can be ordered for £9.99:
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=3779169 )

It can also be bought as two seperate books if you just want the bread bit or the cakes bit or don't want to wait for a reprint: 'Exceptional Breads' and 'Exceptional Cakes' (same content, just split into 2 books).

Waterstones has the cakes one for £4.79 and Play.com has the bread one for £4.99 or Borders for £5.39 - all with free delivery.
    Last edited by competitionscafe; 15-04-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • abra cadabra
    Dan is the man.

His baking with passion book is excellent too:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baking-Passion-Baker-Spice-Lepard/dp/1902757645/

It can also be bought as two seperate books if you just want the bread bit or the cakes bit: 'Exceptional Breads' and 'Exceptional Cakes' (same content, just split into 2 books).

Waterstones has the cakes one for £4.79 and Play.com has the bread one for £4.99 or Borders for £5.39 - all with free delivery.
    Originally posted by competitionscafe
    Remember cashback too
  • monicamiller
    i find using the website "allrecipes.com" works perfectly. There
    are more recipes on the US site than the UK, and there is a tool to convert the measurements. Its free to use and many other users have added their comments and opinions after trying out the recipes.
  • mouseymousey99
    I've got a Killner jar ready and I'm going to try making the yeast mix etc. Fascinating reading, could never understand before how some days you make good bread some days it takes a while (if you see what I mean) now I'm understanding more about the yeasts and things in the air; makes more sense!
  • pauline1976
    Bread baking
    There is only 1 book you need for making bread that is Bread Matters by Andrew Whitley of The Village Bakery, Melmerby Cumbria. It is a very informative book with excellent recipies and Techniques
    • rhodes1968
    • By rhodes1968 19th Apr 09, 10:49 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rhodes1968
    breadmaker
    I have had a lot of really good ideas from "Bread Machine" by Jennie Shapter ISBN 1 84309 399 5
    I got it in a discount bookshop for a fiver!

I changed my Morphy Richards breadmaker for a Panasonic four months ago.
    What a difference. Everything that I've done in it has exceeded expectations. My wife's given me the job now.
    • rhodes1968
    • By rhodes1968 19th Apr 09, 10:52 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rhodes1968
    Breadmaker (part 2)
    I forgot to say, it is really important to weigh everything, so that you get consistent results. A scoop can vary, depending how compacted the flour is. Because of this, I've changed my scales to metric (grams) measurements, as they are far "finer scale" than pounds & ounces.
  • mouseymousey99
    I made my sourdough starter yesterday. I think I made a mutant Ninja strain though as it soon was froathing over the Kilner jar ....mmmm back to the drawing board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter