Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 3rd Apr 09, 11:03 AM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great ‘What to Buy at Costco & Makro’ Hunt
    • 3rd Apr 09, 11:03 AM
    0 WOW
    Great ‘What to Buy at Costco & Makro’ Hunt 3rd Apr 09 at 11:03 AM
    The premise of warehouse clubs, such as Costco and Makro, is simple: they draw you in by stacking high ‘n’ selling cheap, yet make profits by flogging own brand products and charging membership fees (Costco). Therefore I want to tap MoneySavers’ knowledge to find the best value deals.

What should and shouldn’t you grab? Is it worth paying to be a member? You can only join Makro if you run a business, but are there any ways to (legally) get through the door if you don’t?

Please press reply to share your top tips with other MoneySavers.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 28-04-2009 at 6:54 PM.
Page 1
    • Sui_Generis
    • By Sui_Generis 3rd Apr 09, 11:51 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Sui_Generis
    • 3rd Apr 09, 11:51 AM
    • 3rd Apr 09, 11:51 AM
    Not a member of either but I recall a post stating that its possible to obtain a day's trial membership of Makro?
    • tiff
    • By tiff 3rd Apr 09, 11:55 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 3rd Apr 09, 11:55 AM
    • 3rd Apr 09, 11:55 AM
    I like Costco but I dont find the food to be cheap. The best deal I've found so far is 10 tins of John West tuna for Ł4.49.

They have some good stuff like air conditioning units, clothes, tools etc.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • josey1964
    • 3rd Apr 09, 1:31 PM
    • 3rd Apr 09, 1:31 PM
    It is best to know your prices before you go, and dont get tempted by things you dont need. This means marching my other half past the LCD / Plasma TV's.
    The meat in Costco is fantastic quality and I always stock up on toilet rolls and litchen towels when they are on offer. My card easily pays for its self, but then I do only live 10 minutes away.
    Josey
    • tiff
    • By tiff 3rd Apr 09, 1:35 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 3rd Apr 09, 1:35 PM
    • 3rd Apr 09, 1:35 PM
    Also, make use of the vouchers that they hand you as you walk through the door.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • archived user
    • 3rd Apr 09, 2:22 PM
    • 3rd Apr 09, 2:22 PM
    Makro
    Don't go that often - but think they do alot of bed linen, towels etc, house and garden things aswell as food/drink etc..

Costco
    Really enjoy my membership, and have kept it now for several years. Can recommend :-
    • Tray of 12 bakewell tarts
    • Lemon drizzle cake
    • Applie Pie
    • Tiramisu (from freezer)
    • Part baked bread rolls and ciabatta
    • Pasta dishes from fridge section
    • Muffins
    • Tray of 12 crossaints
    • Meat - lamb and beef mince, chicken
    • Cooked chickens, spare ribs, chicken wings
    • Cheeses
    • Big bags of walnuts and peanuts
    • Crisps, dips and sauces
    • Tinned products
    • Selection of cards (birthday, new baby, wedding, etc)
    • Kirland washing powder
    • Selection of wines, beers, etc
    I've also purchased clothes, shoes and so many other things from here. Don't think I'd be without my membership now.. I would not say it's cheap but I like the quality and for this you are paying really reasonable prices.

Before I joined I really didn't think it would be worth paying the membership fee but I was proved wrong and I joined to see how it went but am converted.

There are a few threads on here about Costco already, I would recommend reading them to get some tips on the sorts of things people buy..
    • BritishBeef
    • By BritishBeef 15th Apr 09, 10:12 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    BritishBeef
    • 15th Apr 09, 10:12 AM
    • 15th Apr 09, 10:12 AM
    Re. Costco.
    The savings my wife makes on Daily Disposable Contact Lenses pays for the membership and then some.

We regularly buy their packs of chicken fillets (they are massive too!) which work out far cheaper than any supermarket. As already stated, the meat is excellent quality. Their part baked products are excellent value/quality (Ł1.99 for 8 baguettes). Tools are good value and quality. They do some items rediculously cheap too. Also their customer service is second to none. We have taken things back (without receipt-they look up on system) which were just out of warranty that have broken and received full refunds. Thoroughly recommend them if you have one nearby.
    • lindsaygalaxy
    • By lindsaygalaxy 15th Apr 09, 10:30 AM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    lindsaygalaxy
    • 15th Apr 09, 10:30 AM
    • 15th Apr 09, 10:30 AM
    Tuna pack 10, washing powder (persil non-bio for about Ł13 100 washes), dishwasher tablets, Haribo

Depends what offers they have on really. Recently got 18 packs johnsons babywipes for Ł15ish inc vat, and had Ł5 off the washing powder so was about Ł8.

Its good to go when you are doing your big shop, they have offers on you want, and you do a price comparison online first so yu kow if it will be cheaper. I find the fruit and veg expensive.

• Techno
    • By Techno 15th Apr 09, 8:26 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Techno
    • 15th Apr 09, 8:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 09, 8:26 PM
    Things like the tropicana orange juice (Ł4 for 2 x 2l) and the Covent Garden soups (1l was about Ł1.50 which is twice the size of the supermarket ones)We also buy stuff that isn't cheap but we love like the coated king prawns and I agree the meat is excellent quality but again no cheaper than the supermarkets (but you gets what you pay for in this case) Also agree that fruit and veg seems dear
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • Saint Nick
    • By Saint Nick 16th Apr 09, 1:10 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Saint Nick
    Makro was the place to be 20 years ago but now unless things are on offer in the Makro Mail (toilet roll, kitchen roll etc) it is a waste of time. You must know the price of things if you are going there or you could get stung.

The sweets are still good value though
    • clrat25
    • By clrat25 16th Apr 09, 9:20 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    clrat25
    for the past two years we have made the 60 mile round trip to costco to get my little girl's birthday cake - absolutely brilliant at Ł11.99 - never yet managed to get out with just the cake though, sister also thinks that the catsan cat litter is a real bargain, much cheaper than makro
  • rosatoso
    I've been a member of Costco for a few years now. I always buy in bulk washing powder & fabric conditioner and I used to buy nappies when my two were small. The toys are almost always cheaper prior to Christmas than the high street stores (the only comparison was Woolworths when they had their 2 for 1 offers on and occasionally Argos). Other best buys have been official Disney dresses for Ł10 and Birkenstocks for around Ł15 which included the VAT.

I always dread my bill when I go to the till!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 17th Apr 09, 1:35 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Does membership for macro and costco vary per area you live in or are they the same? (and what is the membership fee!!) TIA!
    • Saint Nick
    • By Saint Nick 17th Apr 09, 2:28 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Saint Nick
    Does membership for macro and costco vary per area you live in or are they the same? (and what is the membership fee!!) TIA!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    Makro is free to join but you must be either vat registered or get someone at your work to fill it in and Costco is somewhere around Ł20 a year. If you are joining Costco you need wage slips, and bills as proof of ID.
  • emmell
    Costco electrical items tend to be well known brands whereas Makro sell a lot of brands that are not household names. I also get bored quickly in Makro it's too big and the checkout process is very slow.
    My favourite Costco purchases are:
    Apple pie
    Carrot cake
    Muffins
    Special occasion cakes
    Fresh pizza
    Minced Steak
    Chicken & Bacon bakes
    Cat litter (the large green tubs)
    Books
    Jewellery & watches
    Christmas gifts and toys
    What me and my sister like best is looking for 7's ( items ending in 7 ie Ł9.77. Ł3.17,
    77p, 17p etc.) a member of staff years ago told us that items that are reduced do not have stickers on, the price always ends in a 7. Don't know why but it has proved to be true.
    ML.
  • spuds
    Costco electrical items are not always cheaper, but the tv's come with a 5 year warranty which is probably worth paying a bit more for.
    • jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 18th Apr 09, 5:48 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    I WAS IN COCTCO YESTERDAY AND NOTICED THERE KIRKLAND WASHING POWDER WAS JUST UNDER 15 pound for 400 washes does anybody use it ands is it anygood thanks in advance
  • archived user
    Hi, I only ever buy the Kirkland washing powder now - it lasts ages
    • BritishBeef
    • By BritishBeef 18th Apr 09, 7:47 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    BritishBeef
    I don't know if it's true but a member of Costco staff told me when I went to buy a bulk pack of Duracell batteries that Costco's own brand of batteries (Kirkland) is made by Duracell and are therefore exactly the same. I have used the Kirkland ones and they do seem to last as long as Duracell.
  • josey1964
    Bought the new Nature Valley Soft Granola bars in Costco yeaterday. I have had the crispy bars before so thought I would try them - very nice. Box of 48 was Ł8 something and I worked it out when I got home as 20 per bar - very good value and low in fat.

PS If you are a weight watcher these work out at 1.5 points a bar.
    Josey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin