Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ~*Plushroom*~
    What's the best high street optician - opinions please!
    • 1st Apr 09, 5:03 PM
    What's the best high street optician - opinions please! 1st Apr 09 at 5:03 PM
    I haven't been in a couple of years since a terrible experience at Specsavers (They gave me an incorrect prescription and refused point blank that it was wrong - did the same to my father too ) but I know I need a slightly stronger prescription now, so where would MSE'rs reccomend going to?

I'll be going for both an eye test and contact lens appointment so all opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?
Page 1
    • wishiwasarichgirl
    • By wishiwasarichgirl 1st Apr 09, 9:07 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    wishiwasarichgirl
    • 1st Apr 09, 9:07 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 9:07 PM
    level of service and other peoples' experiences will vary from store to store so best to ask friends & family for their recommendation...

what area are you in?
    Last edited by wishiwasarichgirl; 01-04-2009 at 9:11 PM.
    WigglyFB

• cornerstone13
    • By cornerstone13 1st Apr 09, 9:09 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    cornerstone13
    • 1st Apr 09, 9:09 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 9:09 PM
    I wasn't impressed with Specsavers either. I've been going to Boots for about 3 years now and no complaints - and Advantage points too

• noonesperfect
    • By noonesperfect 1st Apr 09, 9:11 PM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    noonesperfect
    • 1st Apr 09, 9:11 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 9:11 PM
    Dolland and Aitcheson get my vote. You can quite often get cheaper eye tests (printable vouchers) and nectar points too.
  • lindsey toffee girl
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:14 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:14 PM
    I haven't been in a couple of years since a terrible experience at Specsavers (They gave me an incorrect prescription and refused point blank that it was wrong - did the same to my father too ) but I know I need a slightly stronger prescription now, so where would MSE'rs reccomend going to?

I'll be going for both an eye test and contact lens appointment so all opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by ~*Plushroom*~
    I hate spec savers too they treated me like I weas a twelve year old girl the lady in there said to me "whos been a naughty girl" As I had been over wearing my lenses, oh but trust me she was not messing around!
    Had other problems with them so I swapped to D&A too thry are ok it depends if you just want glasses if you wear lenses you get 50% off your glasses though they are not that cheap to be honest. They are good at doing the eyetest though and helping you choose some glasses and fixing them when they break!!!
  • Pssst
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    Go to an established independant. I have had experience of specsavers and Boots for contact lenses. Both were lamentable.
  • dieselhead
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:43 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:43 PM
    I have had good experiences with Boots, although suprisingly they were very uninterested in selling me glasses.

However I feel that they have looked after my eyes and my contact lenses very well, on their contact lens plan I have had on occasion monthly and then 3 monthly appointments when they were monitoring a potentional problem, all free (well included in my package!)
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery!
  • Loopy Girl
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:48 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:48 PM
    When I left school I worked in opticians, first as an optical advisor and then as a dispensing optician.

I'm trying to think but I must have worked in about 5 different ones. 4 were high street and 1 was a small independent.

Without a doubt the best is Boots. The amount of training we received both optical and customer service was outstanding and I only left as I moved away from the area. I still go to Boots all these years later and I stopped doing the optical stuff 16 years ago.
    • wishiwasarichgirl
    • By wishiwasarichgirl 1st Apr 09, 10:54 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    wishiwasarichgirl
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:54 PM
    • 1st Apr 09, 10:54 PM
    at the end of the day though, it doesn't matter how much training the optical assistants have had, you need to find an optometrist you trust and are comfortable with. All optoms have had the same training, but like any human beings, you will "click" better with some than others.

take recommendations about individual optometrists, not stores, as experiences will vary dpending on who you see.

and remember "cheapest" is not always best. those who charge more for their time will often have more time to spend with you, discussing your past problems and making sure you get the best solution this time
    WigglyFB

• nedmundo
    • By nedmundo 1st Apr 09, 11:34 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    nedmundo
    Agree with WIRG. There are good, bad and ugly to be found amongst all chains and independent Opticians - go for reputation.
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    • noonesperfect
    • By noonesperfect 2nd Apr 09, 12:38 AM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    noonesperfect
    My local D&A were good and quite "high tech". Vision Value I also found excellent, though less high tech (lots of lens slotting and a book to read!).
    Both have tested me as good as I can be for my age :rolleyes: ,though there's some inevitable deterioration.

Asda, however, announced me to be borderline short-sighted (though still eligible visually for police and army ) and sold me glasses which gave me headaches!!

Once I proved to Asda that their optician had made a mistake I got a full refund, but would never go again.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 2nd Apr 09, 9:13 AM
    • 11,465 Posts
    • 30,902 Thanks
    suki1964
    I would say ask locally for reccomendations, we couldnt possibly know whos good or bad in your area
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    level of service and other peoples' experiences will vary from store to store so best to ask friends & family for their recommendation...

what area are you in?
    Originally posted by wishiwasarichgirl
    I'm in Hertfordshire. I did think of family and friends, but other than my dad (Who hasn't been back since specsavers same as me) and my OH (Who is in the air force and of course has to use the on-base optician!) I don't actually know anyone with glasses in the UK or who actually goes for eye check-ups. Which thinking about it seems a bit weird!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    I wasn't impressed with Specsavers either. I've been going to Boots for about 3 years now and no complaints - and Advantage points too
    Originally posted by cornerstone13
    I completely forgot boots had an opticians!
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    • lolarentt
    • By lolarentt 2nd Apr 09, 10:08 AM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    lolarentt
    Have had major disagreements in the past with Specsavers (more than once) and Vision Express. Large Asda with optician section opened near us a few years ago - tried them and had brilliant service, and excellent personal attention from the optician we see there.
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    Have had major disagreements in the past with Specsavers (more than once) and Vision Express. Large Asda with optician section opened near us a few years ago - tried them and had brilliant service, and excellent personal attention from the optician we see there.
    Originally posted by lolarentt
    I'm really amazed at how many others have had problems with specsavers. I thought it was just me and my father. Oh god Vision express, I remember when I first went there at 13 they showed me to the childrens glasses - an entire rank of glasses that had teletubbies and the like on the arms of the frames - I was rather unimpressed.
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    • timestar
    • By timestar 2nd Apr 09, 12:38 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    timestar
    I steer clear of places where the focus is on how fast they will do things - as far as my eyes go I would much rather they did it right. Can be hard to see the same person as several opticians save money by having a limited number of optometrists who rotate around different branches. I have been going to the same place now for about 20 years and always had good service - Scrivens if you're interested. But as a chain, the branch I visit is good but diffferent ones may be not so good. I'd go with a personal recommendation from somewhere.
    • schmutz
    • By schmutz 3rd Apr 09, 9:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    schmutz
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm also in Herts and have decided I need to try contacts (I have a "thing" about eyes and even thinking about it is making me feel funny) but am having the same problem in deciding where to go. I'm going to need someone who is extremely patient and ideally with free return visits as I have a feeling I may need to be going back alot!
    I've had a quick look but can't seem to find any particularly brilliant offers for trials/assessments at the moment, have I missed them or is there nothing around?
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 5th Apr 09, 9:32 PM
    • 10,567 Posts
    • 21,243 Thanks
    Running Horse
    I would say ask locally for reccomendations, we couldnt possibly know whos good or bad in your area
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Exactly. When I started in optics in 1984, optician advertising was more or less banned. It was drummed into me that happy patients would say nothing, but unhappy ones would tell everyone they knew. Just because Specsavers have the best advertising, does not mean they are the best, and they have numerous ASA judgments against them for misleading adverts. Build up a long term relationship with a qualified independent you can trust.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 5th Apr 09, 9:35 PM
    • 10,567 Posts
    • 21,243 Thanks
    Running Horse
    I'm going to need someone who is extremely patient and ideally with free return visits as I have a feeling I may need to be going back alot!
    I've had a quick look but can't seem to find any particularly brilliant offers for trials/assessments
    Originally posted by schmutz
    If you think you will need long term care, why are you looking for short term offers? When I worked at Boots, we used to laugh at the offer chasers, who could not understand the free pair was subsidised by the more expensive first pair.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,017Posts Today

6,557Users online

Martin's Twitter