Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 31st Mar 09, 12:15 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Rod let little Jane go to Freddie’s unaffordable party?
    • 31st Mar 09, 12:15 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Rod let little Jane go to Freddie’s unaffordable party? 31st Mar 09 at 12:15 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Rod let little Jane go to Freddie’s unaffordable party?

Rod’s eight-year-old daughter, Jane, has been invited to classmate Freddie’s restaurant and cinema birthday party. The whole class has been invited, and while Jane isn’t great friends with the birthday boy, she doesn’t want to miss out. However, you know that, since the invite’s went out, Freddie’s dad’s business has gone under, and they’ll struggle to pay. Freddie’s dad’s far too proud to accept cash. Would you let Jane got to Freddie's party?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Would you flog store cards to keep a job?
    Should Tina lend to Stina?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • skylight
    • By skylight 31st Mar 09, 12:23 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 31st Mar 09, 12:23 PM
    • 31st Mar 09, 12:23 PM
    Yes. He would have paid upfront for it already (or there is a minimum number you have to pay for regardless of how many turn up), so by not going and using the place already paid for, its a real waste of money.
  • BlueAngelCV
    • 31st Mar 09, 8:58 PM
    • 31st Mar 09, 8:58 PM
    Yes I would, I think he'd be far more embarrased if people started cancelling and may take it the wrong way.

If I was worried I may send my response to the invitation with a contribution towards my child's invite.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • sluggy1967
    • 31st Mar 09, 11:45 PM
    • 31st Mar 09, 11:45 PM
    yes, not the fault of the children is it?
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 1st Apr 09, 12:15 AM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 1st Apr 09, 12:15 AM
    • 1st Apr 09, 12:15 AM
    Id let the child go, as in theory if hes invited a lot of people he would of hopefully had the money ready and may of prepaid.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
  • Den
    • 1st Apr 09, 1:19 AM
    • 1st Apr 09, 1:19 AM
    I find it hard. I think that would skip by offering my child something more desirable. Specially they are not really friends.
    Would let my child go if nothing else can replace that party, would not offer any money.
    Have you got something to share - Do it.
    When you don't know - Ask.
  • rupert bear
    • 1st Apr 09, 6:58 AM
    • 1st Apr 09, 6:58 AM
    its not the little girls fault that the blokes business has gone under so no she shouldnt miss out. if the guy knew he was going under, which he would have, he shouldnt have been the big man and arrange such a big affair
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 1st Apr 09, 7:00 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 1st Apr 09, 7:00 AM
    • 1st Apr 09, 7:00 AM
    I would still let the child go.

If they can not afford to have the party then they should just cancel it.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 1st Apr 09, 7:09 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    • 1st Apr 09, 7:09 AM
    • 1st Apr 09, 7:09 AM
    Never break a promise made to a child.
    • toadhall
    • By toadhall 1st Apr 09, 7:49 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    toadhall
    yes , not the childrens fault
  • Mr_Rentless
    It's a bit of a hard one without knowing more detail's as other people have mentioned, although I prob would let the child go.

Fair enough it's not her fault but you can't help but feel for the guy.:confused:
  • traceyf01
    party dilemma
    Yes I would - at the end of the day the kids shouldn't miss out and if Freddies dad's too proud....well good for him.
    Maybe someone could suggest a street party, banners, flags, BBQ, water shooters - the kids would enjoy that far more
    • JayD
    • By JayD 1st Apr 09, 10:18 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    Quick answer - yes Jane should go to the party.

It is down to Freddie's parents to make the call on this one - not Jane's.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 1st Apr 09, 10:33 AM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    No, I wouldn't. I'm obviously out of step with everybody else here. I know it's not the child's fault that Freddie's Dad went bust but I think this is a case where parents should take the moral lead and not encourage their child to feed at the feast of somebody else's misfortune.. I'd just explain the circumstances to him/her and say I didn't think it was right to have a free outing at somebody else's expense when they will have difficulty in paying for it.
  • Thali
    Same, I wouldn't let her go as Jane isn't really great friends with the other kid and only because someone is too proud/ embarrassed to cancel the party, one shouldn't take advantage of it.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 1st Apr 09, 1:13 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Freddie's parents are the hosts and they make the decisions. If the party is still going ahead, then yes.
  • butterwouldmelt
    Yes i'd let them go, as said before they could cancel if they wanted to, though i would tell my child not to ask for any extra food/popcorn etc.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 1st Apr 09, 1:57 PM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 30,236 Thanks
    pineapple
    It's up to Freddies dad to bite the bullet and cancel if he has to - even if it means disappointing Freddie and losing any deposit. But presumably he is not cancelling so Jane should go. How would Freddie feel if kids started dropping out?
    I think the moral dilemna is actually with Freddies family not Janes.

But if Janes Dad is feeling generous, he could make an anonymous donation to the restaurant to cover some of the costs. Sorted.
  • brutuscj
    Jane's Dad should make sure she a super present to take to the party for her classmate and also make sure she/he is always unvited to her (Jane's) parties.
  • Broken hearted
    Yes. Until the parents cancel it is not your right to decide they can't afford it.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

7,709Users online

Martin's Twitter