Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bob_regis
    • By bob_regis 1st Mar 06, 8:49 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 21Thanks
    bob_regis
    Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)
    • 1st Mar 06, 8:49 PM
    Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads) 1st Mar 06 at 8:49 PM
    I walked into the kitchen yesterday and saw a black rat/mouse move towards our bin in the kitchen, it came from the utility room.

Now what can I do to get rid of them?
    Should I buy the rat poison and leave it around or buy traps? How much should I buy and how long does it take to do the trick?

Is there anything else that I should do?
    Do I need to tell the council?

All help appreciated.
Page 69
    • Vet
    • By Vet 7th Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Vet
    A couple traps with peanut butter on them work effectively. the poison can damage animals higher up the food chain if they are exposed =/
    • lindens
    • By lindens 9th Jul 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    lindens
    New cat? You appear to have a dud.
    Originally posted by elsien
    i have 3 duds!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • lindens
    • By lindens 9th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    lindens
    Update: we got home from work, the cats were sniffing around a bit in the corner by the sofa so we built a corral and pulled out the sofa.... to reveal a very frightened shrew. Were able to pick him up, put him in the handy bucket and released him way up behind the house in some trees.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • 20400keith
    • By 20400keith 11th Jul 18, 4:55 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    20400keith
    I've saved £421
    I have a rat problem. I'm not bothered about them outside but this week they've started coming through the cat flap.

Quote from Rentokil - £462

Quote from my Council - £41 and they contract the work to Rentokil.
    • aidso
    • By aidso 6th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    aidso
    I think I've a mouse...
    I had to pull a few skirting boards up from the kitchen and when moving the washing machine out of the way, noticed that there were a fair few mouse droppings. I don't know how old they are, but immediately hoovered them all up and cleaned around the general area. I read somewhere to put down talc powder along the walls and that way if there's footprints the next morning, then you still have a mouse.

So this morning I've no footprints/mouse, but I want to be sure.
    Id like to put everything back to the way it was, without the uncertainty that a wee mouse is still hiding behind there somewhere. I looked around B&Q for some sort of spray, but nothing seemed to be targeted for the job.
    Can I spray bleach etc to fend them off? Its the area under the sink, if that makes a difference.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    coffeehound
    If you can see gaps such as where pipes enter the house, you can stuff them with wire wool to stop the critters coming back.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 6th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Ganga
    Put a mouse trap with some chocolate on it,they love this,a bit of Mars bar caught loads for me in my old shed,if you catch one keep re-baiting the trap till you catch no more then put the skirting board back.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • aidso
    • By aidso 6th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    aidso
    Put a mouse trap with some chocolate on it,they love this,a bit of Mars bar caught loads for me in my old shed,if you catch one keep re-baiting the trap till you catch no more then put the skirting board back.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    This is the bit that scares me. What do I do with him if I catch one?
    • daivid
    • By daivid 6th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    daivid
    If you have a humane trap take the mouse a long way from your house (a mile should do) then release. If you have the leathal traps throw the mouse in the rubbish (outside bin).
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 6th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    Grenage
    Peanut butter is usually an excellent bait. According to several sources, catching a mouse humanely and releasing it far away is as good as a death sentence; I prefer to give them a chance.

if you use a humane trap, be sure to check it a couple of times a day, otherwise it's not so humane.
    • naf123
    • By naf123 6th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    naf123
    If you have a humane trap take the mouse a long way from your house (a mile should do) then release. If you have the leathal traps throw the mouse in the rubbish (outside bin).
    Originally posted by daivid
    do you throw away the trap with the mouse/rat? I am so squeamish about mice/rats I cannot bear the thought of handling a dead rat!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 7th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Ganga
    If its dead ( caught in a trap ) ask a neighbor to release the corpse into a bag or cardboard box and dump it in the local recycling site.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Mice?!?!?!?! Oh god please no
    Hey all!

I moved into a first floor flat a couple of months ago. So far, Iíve dealt with a moth infestation that took about a month to get rid of. Not fun.

Now.. I have another concern. Last weekend, I was awakened around 5:40am by extremely loud squeaking. It was so loud, it felt like it was coming from inside my home, in my bedroom itself. But I canít be totally sure as it could also be birds outside my window. But either way - id never heard that kinda soundbefore. I checked the tell tale signs for mice online - Iíve not seen any droppings, heard no scratching, no damage to food etc. Just that one incident of loud squeaking, but Iím pretty paranoid since mice freak me out and I just finished with this damn moth situation!

Again, Iím on the first floor. Any opinions?!

Thanks for ur replies in advance!!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    z1a
    Maybe you're OK & it's rats!
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    LOL staaaaappppp this really freaks me out. I was thinking of putting traps out but in case there arenít any mice, I donít wanna lure in ones from outside
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 17,546 Posts
    • 44,352 Thanks
    elsien
    I've had mice. Lots of physical signs and scrabbling noises but never heard any squeaking coming from them.

Next door's bed springs??
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Apparently the babies squeak when abandoned by the mother mouse! Ahh

There isnít a bedroom directly next door - itís their kitchen so have to rule that out
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 32,729 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Get a cat! Our current lodger, Raffles, is a confirmed mouser!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • AmyHunt
    • By AmyHunt 15th Aug 18, 2:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    AmyHunt
    The poor mice
    Put a mouse trap with some chocolate on it, they love this,a bit of Mars bar caught loads for me in my old shed,if you catch one keep re-baiting the trap till you catch no more then put the skirting board back.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I'm a bit old fashioned but I couldn't set up traps like that. Why don't you try the peanut oil in a bowl trick?

A few tablespoons of oil a shallow,but heavy, bowl and they'll fall in trying to get to it. They just scramble around in the oil until you free them.

Just my two pence
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

3,069Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin