Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Wordsmith
    Join in if you are self-employed and work from home
    • 17th Mar 09, 2:01 PM
    Join in if you are self-employed and work from home 17th Mar 09 at 2:01 PM
    I have read lots of good advice in these threads, but I come from a slightly different angle than lots of others. If, like me, you are self-employed, work from home and are in debt, join me here for mutual support, hand-holding, question-asking, being kicked in the butt into doing stuff, e.g.:
    • you have work to do but you are procrastinating
    • you want to share highs and lows but have nobody to share with
    • you have what seems a daft question (it probably isn't) and you want to ask it without embarrassment
    • you have a letter to write and you are putting it off
    • you have a pile of filing to do and need to be told sternly to do it - and then be told how good you are to do it
    • your clients are in no rush to pay up
    • work is drying up ...
    I'll do another post to start the ball rolling and look forward to meeting you.

Find particularly useful posts easily (but do stop by to read the rest), with many thanks to the individual posters

Tax and NI
    #45 (page 3)
    #58 (page 3)
    #153 (page 8)

Pricing and financial planning
    #200 (page 10)

Taking the plunge
    Test-trading: #172 (page 9)

Software
    Accounts packages:
    #46 (page 3), #119 (page 6) and #144 (page 8)
    ~212 (page 11)

Office equipment
    #145 (page8)
    #148 (page 8)
    #151 (page 8)

Motivation, resilience, staying cheerful
    #52 (page 3)
    #53 (page 3)
    #96 (page 5)
    #101 (page 6)

Useful books
    The Secret [for motivation - #196 (page 10)]

Awards and grants
    HSBC Start-up Stars Awards (closing date 25 April 2009): #76 (page 4)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Wordsmith; 27-03-2009 at 9:28 AM. Reason: Help finding useful posts in the thread
Page 1
  • Wordsmith
    • 17th Mar 09, 2:13 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 2:13 PM
    Following on from the above, I'll introduce myself.

I am a copy-editor, proofreader and writer (nothing very creative - not that I get paid for anyway). I have moved from England to the west coast of Ireland, and have therefore had to start building up a new client list. I found it really difficult to get work here and got into more debt (that is, more than I brought with me from England). I now have a few publishing clients, but definitely need more - but there's not a very big pool to dip into. When I was desperate for work at the beginning I took a job in the local shop. Much to my surprise I really enjoyed it - it was a great way of getting to know people in the village. I still do it, even though it is really low paid - partly because I enjoy it, partly because it is an income I can rely on if freelance work gets a bit low. It's annoying when I could be doing higher paid work, but it is something that at least means I meet people during the day. I also do bookkeeping, computer training and business administration. I don't usually admit to doing a variety of work in case people think I am Jill of all trades and mistress of none ... pause for thought ... moving swiftly on ...

I rent an office in a nearby small town. Madness when I am so broke, but necessary because I can't (really can't, not no way) get broadband where I live (which is in any case a caravan as I have an uninhabitable cottage that one day - but not necessarily in my lifetime - will be a fab and comfortable home). I have to have broadband for my work.

I live with a smallish dog - a cross between a collie and some kind of terrier. She has the intelligence of a collie and is as stubborn as a terrier - but she's gorgeous.

Debt busting is difficult - could write for ages about that, but won't bore you. Getting work is difficult. Getting paid is sometimes difficult. Getting down to work even when I have it is sometimes difficult. Even so, even if I could get a permanent full-time job, and even if it was one that I liked (what are the chances of that?), I think I would still freelance.

So that's me, or at least a bit of me.
    • Horace
    • By Horace 17th Mar 09, 2:34 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    • 17th Mar 09, 2:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 2:34 PM
    Hi and welcome to the nuthouse that is MSE

I have a small amount of debt which is manageable and also work from home. This crazy woman started up during the recession but I am not going to give up, clients will come, I already have some work lined up which is nothing to do with my profession - writing the blurb for a webpage for which I will get 30 (hey its money ) and a product launch which is to be organised for October. I am a wedding planner but this wasnt always my job before that I was a PA but was made redundant from my job in 2007 basically I was bullied out by the nincompoop that I worked for, I had so much time off sick that I was selected for redundancy and my employer made damn sure that none of their 30 vacancies were suitable even those on a lower grade than I was already on Still I have moved on and set up my own business in October. I am still on benefits that will change in April when I finish test trading - no way am I going back, this is my business and it will be a success

Procrastination is what I am good at - I keep saying that I will get a filing cabinet but so far I havent, I have become a bag lady as all my filing is in carrier bags . I also keep saying that I will do my assignments for my HND in wedding planning (only two left to do), I have become bored with the course and for one of the assignments scraped through with a C+ I am amazed I got that because I did the bare minimum - basically regurgitated what the coursework said with no real input from myself:rolleyes: The last assignment in the course (but not my actual last assignment as I do the course how I see fit which means that I will work backwards), my tutor was pleased with and gave me an A+

I have become a card tart and my debts get shifted onto the 0% card, I have the deal until August 09, it will all be gone by then. I am also a freebie queen.

That's me kind of in a nutshell.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
  • Wordsmith
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:13 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:13 PM
    Hi, Horace. Pleased to meet you.

Good luck with your business. I don't think I could do wedding planning - I am not nearly organised enough. Or nice enough. Do you have to be kind to tearful brides-to-be and bite your tongue with pushy mothers? And act as a pre-marriage counsellor?

Is the web page you write for on wedding stuff?

Keep going with your assignments. It will be a lovely feeling when you finish them. I had no idea there was such a qualification. I started a distance learning coure in payroll (yawn) - I really wanted to do it (that is, I really wanted it to be done), but as always I let work (the need to earn money every chance I got) get in the way and didn't finish it. I'd like to resurrect it sometime, though.

I can't be a card tart as no one in their right or wrong mind would give me a new card.

It is difficult to work this afternoon as there is a St Patrick's Day parade going up and down the street. Am just waiting for it to pass (it's been going on for hours) and I can escape the office to take the mutt for a walk. I'm 3 miles from the beach but we are just going to walk around the lanes today so that I don't have to spend money on petrol to get to the sands. The upside is that if I trawl the street this evening I might find some road change. And if I can get up and out before the road sweeper in the morning I might find some more outside the ten pubs that line the short high street (this is Ireland, don't forget).
  • kelie
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:17 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:17 PM
    Hi there I am also self employed but in big debt. Basically I do a lot of web design and affiliate marketing. One of the companies who used to pay me for affiliate marketing realised they had overpaid me for a whole year, by 19000, of which I didn't really realise due to family problems. I spent most of it apart from enough to cover my tax bill January just gone (thank god I had that).

I also have around 6000 on credit cards and i'm in my personal overdraft by about 2000. So starting to panic BIG time. My dad passed away last thursday and before that was very ill so I was running a lot of errands etc. couldn't concentrate, and now I can't concentrate because I've just lost him. I signed up as an avon rep on the side. Made 25 in commission on my first order, but I ended up spending that as a joining fee and some shampoo and conditioner etc for myself. I'm hoping future campaigns will be better.

Some of my credit cards are on deals (card tart alert), one is on a 6% (something like that) deal for the life of the balance, I have 2 on 0% but the others are charging interest.

I am hoping to set up another website to do with makeup and another to do with slimming, but it's finding the time when I know they aren't bringing in immediate income.
    Virgin CC: -374.70 -384.39 | Barclaycard: -2016.05 | Egg CC: - 781.13 -1450.28 | M&S CC: -980.40 -1026.29 | Natwest CC: -1,605.60 | Tesco CC: 1,567.10 -1334.10 |

Current Account Balance:

• Horace
    • By Horace 17th Mar 09, 4:19 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:19 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:19 PM
    Yes I have to deal with tearful brides and overbearing mothers:rolleyes:

The website I have been asked to write up is for someone who makes wedding cards but she doesnt have a clue about words for her own website and liked my wording.

I will do the assignments, must knuckle down on them this week. Have just been told about an auction that is on tonight - the contents of a bridal shop so I am off to look at the auction website.

• Wordsmith
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:26 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:26 PM
    Welcome, Kelie

So sorry to hear about your Dad. On top of everything else it sounds like you are having a really bum time and haven't had time to concentrate on work. Take a bit of time for yourself and your family right now - it's hard to keep the worrying money stuff at bay, but try to give yourself some peaceful time to think about your Dad and give yourself space to grieve.

Would love to keep abreast of your web site plans. I have a few web site ideas that I'm trying to find the time to organise - like you, though, if it's not paying straight away it has to go on a back burner.

Keep posting. And love to you at this horrible time.
    • BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 17th Mar 09, 4:51 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:51 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 4:51 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your Dad too Kelie. And do look after yourself at this time, it's deceptive how much these things can bring you low, physically as well as mentally. Hugs to you.

I'm self employed and work from home too, and many thanks to Wordsmith for starting this thread - great idea. I am not in debt (much) after a good year last year, but a lot of my work has fallen off a cliff since January so I am trying to be careful with what money I have (something I am not really usually very good at).

My biggest problem at the moment is motivation - I am usually very tidy in my office, but at the moment I am surrounding by teetering piles of stuff that need filing, dealing with, or chucking out. There's always tomorrow though....

Can I join the self-employed group too please?
  • Merlinexcalibur
    • 17th Mar 09, 5:01 PM
    • 17th Mar 09, 5:01 PM
    get broadband where I live (which is in any case a caravan as I have an uninhabitable cottage that one day - but not neces
    I expect you've tried the various mobile broadband offers then? If not, could be worth your while. You may already have seen them but in case you haven't, a very small USB dongle with modem inside. Very useful for anyone who cannot get broadband through a cable. Just a suggestion as I imagine being without broadband and being a writer, what you said you did can be more than just inconvenient without vital internet access.

I started a distance learning coure in payroll (yawn) - I really wanted to do it (that is, I really wanted it to be done), but as always I let work (the need to earn money every chance I got) get in the way and didn't finish it. I'd like to resurrect it sometime, though.
    Bit difficult without broadband though, I imagine.

BTW, I also write and have been published in assorted places. Voluntarily, though. I feel fulfilled having done so, that someone gets to enjoy but also feels like I have been recognised for something. I never take my own advice because plenty have said I have a talent for writing. But never listen.

PS No you wouldn't have seen any of my work because I write far far differently when in the 'muse' to how I sound here on MSE.

Oh, well excuse me anyway because I am not self employed so guess I better leave the party and so on. Incidentally, I was spotted by a journalist who got me involved with the writing. Just the recognition for something that could be called mine. I ain't bothered too much about being paid, though it is attractive. It's something I can do, that's what gives me fulfilment. If someone wants to pay me, then all well and done. There are artists and there are 'artists'. Some enjoy painting for pleasure, would never dream about wanting money. Guess that describes where I am coming from here. Because if I intepret your opening post correctly, it was all about 'feeling good about oneself' and encouraging people, other people to look at things differently. Well, you can be fulfilled in other ways, not just the monetary. So, no, don't work from home, nor am self employed. But you can be 'self employed' in other ways not just the financial.

Recently knew someone from the Isle of Man, and Kent quite a while ago ... reminds me of you quite a bit ... oh, well, probably nothing. Easy to 'read' into things online, thinking you've met someone in life that you find familiar from posts. Must be one of those things I suppose.
    Last edited by Merlinexcalibur; 17-03-2009 at 5:23 PM.
    Any help, opinions, views I may hold those are my own. Respect them as you would expect the same in return. Offered freely, is gleaned from a lifetime of experiences, knowledge gaining. Passed on to benefit others. I may be direct, ask you questions but those are to help you. Up to you if you choose to take it. I won't judge you either way.
  • Wordsmith
    Welcome, BlondeHeadOn. Sorry to hear your work has been a bit thin on the ground the last few months. Is it seasonal and so likely to pick up again, or is the lull a "sign of the times"?

I empathise with the teetering piles of paper. I am well known for my piles (if you see what I mean). I am much better than I used to be - when I cleared my house in England for letting I had to be absolutely ruthless about getting rid of stuff. It was so liberating, and for the first time in years I knew what I actually had. The piles are reappearing, though. I always convince myself that I have more important stuff to do and when I am free I will sort out the paperwork. Never seems to happen, though. I am always "busy" ... but not necessarily doing what I should be. I don't have any problem getting down to work, but I have huge problems getting down to the work I am supposed to be doing at that moment.

Merlinexcalibur: greetings. I have tried mobile broadband, thanks - not a flicker of life, I'm afraid. (Can't get a mobile phone signal, except very occasionally if I stand in the middle of the road.) Doing something that gives others pleasure is always fulfilling. Although from where I am at the moment if I can get paid for it too then that's all the better! By the way - never been to the Isle of Man and have no connection to Kent.
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 17th Mar 09, 6:28 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    Hello

I am self employed and do some work from home, but I mostly freelance for another self employed person in their office, but I spend lots of time by myself, so does that count?

I left banking (maybe that was a good move!) because I wanted to do graphics and web design, but have ended up mostly doing database development.

I am trying to be a proper web designer though and am training whenever I get the opportunity and funds allow.

Finances were going in the right direction until OH got made redundant twice last year, back in work now, but on less money, so fingers crossed
  • Wordsmith
    Hello, Wyebird. Course it counts. Welcome. That's so admirable, leaving a steady job to do the work you really want to do. Good luck with the training. The world is very qualification oriented these days, but if you are freelancing rather than applying for PAYE jobs, it is often what you can show you can do rather than what bits of paper you have that will get you the work. Database development is good, too, as it's quite a niche market. Is that databases for web sites, or for business application? Hope your OH's job goes well and that he (I am making assumptions) is doing a job that he likes rather than one he felt he ought to take because of the income.
  • Wordsmith
    I'm saying hello for tomorrow this evening as I have an early start and with the best will in the world will never get to my computer before leaving. I am working in the shop tomorrow - Wednesday's not my usual day but the other lady is expecting a day-after-Paddy's-Day hangover so I said I would do her hours. I have to be up early in order to walk the hound and get to the shop to open up for 8 o'clock. I love opening up - waking the shop up, sorting out the papers, arguing with the twit who delivers the milk, seeing all the regular customers, having a bowl of Weetabix while I flick through the paper (woe betide any customer who ventures in during my brekkie:rolleyes.

I finish at 3.30 and then have to dash 12 miles to the nearest town to pick up toner cartridges for my colour printer - that's 150 spent, plus some envelopes. Worked frantically all Monday to get a newsletter out for a client - then one of the toner cartridges ran out and the printer won't work if there's an empty one. Really annoying as I hardly ever use colour and there's no way the yellow could have run out without it being faulty. Couldn't do anything about it today as it's a public holiday, and won't get the newsletters out tomorrow as I won't get back in time. Black and white printer has stopped working in sympathy, so couldn't finish off the flyers either. All in all a bit of a disaster. So, tomorrow evening, have to finish the newsletter, and finish some proofreading that was also due out early this week. Hope everyone else's day goes well. Enjoy your filing, BlondeHeadOn .
    • Horace
    • By Horace 18th Mar 09, 9:14 AM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    Hi to everyone

I am feeling really tired today, I didnt sleep that well because I had thoughts racing through my head like a train all night (maybe the strawberry beer had something to do with that:rolleyes: ). I went to an auction yesterday because they had the contents of a wedding shop to dispose of so I went along thinking that I may pick up some tiaras (no such luck) but I espied 3 largish boxes that claimed to contain petticoats, veils etc (now I was thinking the etc would be tiaras). Items in the sale were going for silly prices as none of them had reserves on - even a flatscreen tv which was working went for 10 and 4 top hats went for a fiver so I was thinking that I may have been onto a good thing. So I waited for the first box that I had my eye on to come up and the bidding started at 10 (my bid) then it went up and eventually I won the box for 18 and then auctioneer asks if I wanted to bid for all three boxes and I said yes, so he let me have them for 18 each You could hear people grumbling I went to pay and ended up paying a little bit of VAT and commission which was 3% and so I spent 71.43 which was a little over the limit I had set myself of 50 (I had forgotten about the commission:rolleyes: ). We couldnt fit all the boxes in the car so two had to be emptied out and the items stuffed in the boot.

All the items are in my lounge, I can barely move for stuff. I didnt find any tiaras but I found 4 designer gowns some of them worth 2K, various beaded bodices (average price 250), wraps (several ranging in price from 65 to 25), lace coats, skirts, petticoats, veils, trains and bolero jackets - the value I have worked out is around 15500 Now I need to sell the things - trouble is they are too good for ebay:rolleyes:

Well I suppose I had better go and chat some folks that I know whom have wedding shops and see if they will buy them from me and I need to find a decent drycleaner as one dress (it would be white too) has an oily mark on the front:rolleyes:

Bye for now, I am off to get some acid-free tissue paper.

• Seaxwyn
    Hello Wordsmith and everyone! I'm another freelance writer/editor working from home and, guess what, I also work in the corner shop now and then.

I've been freelance for 12 years and have been reasonably successful getting work. I worry terribly about it drying up though.

We've got huge debts, partly because I never manage to save for the twice-yearly tax bills and partly because we extnded our house in 2005. My partner is a freelance artist, currently doing freelance teaching at an art school, and his income has been a lot less reliable than mine over the past decade.

Anyway... my biggest problem is procrastination and not getting my work done fast enough. I find the internet a huge distraction.

I have four articles to finish this morning then nothing til more work arrives on Monday. So if I finish the rticles today, I can spend tomorrow and Friday helping my parents clear their loft and garage (they are selling their house) and cream off a large amount of booty/junk to ebay/Amazon/carboot.

It's great to have a mutual support thread, I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Horace that is a fantastic haul - 15k worth of goods for 71!!!!! Go you!
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 49,387.79 1 January 2012 19,312.85 1 August 2012 11,517.62

• BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 18th Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    Welcome, BlondeHeadOn. Sorry to hear your work has been a bit thin on the ground the last few months. Is it seasonal and so likely to pick up again, or is the lull a "sign of the times"?
    Originally posted by Wordsmith
    Not seasonal, more a sign of the times I'm afraid. I still have (a little bit of)public sector work though - NHS, academic and the like, it's the (better-paying) private sector work that has fallen off a cliff this year. It may pick up, but I have the impression that a lot of companies have put a hold on consultancy-type work at the moment until they understand where the economy is going.

I'm better placed than many though, as I do have a few public sector contracts too.

I also still have the pile of filing to do......

By the way Horace, fab news on the bargain buys front - well done you!!
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 18th Mar 09, 4:46 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    downshifter
    Hello all, and thank you to Wordsmith for starting this thread. When I became self-employed a couple of years ago I looked everywhere for some sort of sharing caring self-help forum for people like myself. I found a couple but they all seemed to be much more high-flying than me, and those in my professional area were a bit precious about sharing info - presumably in case I took work away from them - which was a shame as I felt that there would be real added benefits to customers if a couple of us shared our experience and skills on contracts. Anyway I now have freelance work in my professional field which pays me 450 a month although I'd gladly move out of it if I can as I'm really not keen on the people, and guess what, also have a 6 hr per week job in a local shop!!! So some sort of steady income anyway but not enough. I do odd bits of babysitting, casual learning mentor work with people with disabilities for the council, some voluntary stuff and odd bits for the Dept of Health - a previous 'real' job was with the NHS. This is apparently known as 'portfolio working' and I believe I'm mistress of all of it. However my main skill is faffing about and I have a masters degree in pottering!

As far as debts are concerned I had masses when my husband and I separated 9 yrs ago but until around 4 pm yesterday had been pretty clear for 6 months or so. Yesterday within the space of 15 mins I was clobbered for 2 unexpected bills, one car and one heating oil, both essentials so am now 450 down. Once it starts it's very hard to claw back up again.

I live in the middle of nowhere with a dog (and 2 cats and 3 chickens) aiming to be as self-sufficient as possible. I also can't get broadband where I live, though I'm very used to dialup speeds. It just annoys me that the phone is tied up. I have mobile broadband for when I'm out and about with the laptop, but it only works at home if I hang precariously out of the window and dangle it on the tv aerial. So I also work from a rented office about 4 miles away. Crazy!! The shop has given me a social life and I also contribute to the shop lottery syndicate so who knows.....

On the whole though I'm happy scrambling along from month to month, my children are no longer dependent and as long as I have food for the animals and enough for the rent, I can live on baked beans - I need to lose weight anyway! It's always going to be better than the 9-5 career bandwagon. I've just come back from a walk up in the woods looking at the stunning view and feel so very grateful to have this freedom.

Oh no, wot a lot I rote, really sorry to take up your time, but it sounds as though allowing distractions is something we're all good at. I look forward to seeing how this thread develops and if I can help any way I'd be happy to even if it's just to send out an occasional pm to shout at you to get on with it and no, you don't need another coffee!

Have fun

Jan
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 18th Mar 09, 5:17 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    Hello, Wyebird. Course it counts. Welcome. That's so admirable, leaving a steady job to do the work you really want to do. Good luck with the training. The world is very qualification oriented these days, but if you are freelancing rather than applying for PAYE jobs, it is often what you can show you can do rather than what bits of paper you have that will get you the work. Database development is good, too, as it's quite a niche market. Is that databases for web sites, or for business application? Hope your OH's job goes well and that he (I am making assumptions) is doing a job that he likes rather than one he felt he ought to take because of the income.
    Originally posted by Wordsmith
    Thanks Wordsmith. Yes, he got the job after quite a bit of CV distribution, wasn't advertised, but his CV made them think that they could do with someone like him . Seems to be going well, but you can't really count on anything these days!
    The databases we do are primarily for benchmarking for local govt. Exciting stuff lol. Website stuff is more fun, but there is so much I realise that I don't know. Would love to go back to uni now rather than late 80s when I was there and learn properly. Until then it's OU and the odd course, but I am a lazy sod, who leaves everything to the last minute so don't do distance learning too well! I am the one submitting my tax return on line 31st Jan 11.30pm and hoping it will go through before midnight

Anyway, nice to meet everyone, and well done Horace. Well impressed by that!
  • Wordsmith
    Hello, everyone. Welcome Seaxwyn and Downshifter.

Horace. Wow. Result! Have you thought about your own website where you can advertise your services and sell second-hand stuff and your friend's cards, etc?

Seaxwyn, I was in England last week helping my parents sort their stuff ready for moving into residential care. Going through my Dad's office was fun/a nightmare/stressful. He is nearly blind so I was telling him what each and every bit of paper was so that he could decide whether it should be kept. Nearly every conversation went along the lines of: "This is a computer catalogue from 2004. THIS IS A COMPUTER CATALOGUE FROM 2004." [He's rather deaf as well as nearly blind ] He'd say, "Can I have a look?" I'd pass it to him, he'd turn it over a couple of times and say, "I can't really see this. What is it?" Then I'd have to persuade him that he didn't need a catalogue from 2004. Funny, though, whenever I tried slipping an advertising flyer or something really unimportant into the recycling box, he'd see and ask what it was! I also had to persuade him that it was no longer necessary to keep the contents insurance documents from 1984 from a house he no longer lives in. And that it was not necessary to take three bicycle pumps to the care home, just the one would do. (You may wonder why he wants even one - it's to pump up the tyres on his wheelchair.) As for the sandpaper ...

Anyway, I have to go back in a couple of weeks to finish clearing the house out. I was going to have a massive ebay sale, but that isn't going to be possible because of the timing of it all. I'll try to do a house contents sale to people passing on the street, but will probably have to pay someone to take the rest.

As for tax bills ... I don't think I can confess everything on such short acquaintance.

Downshifter, you sound like you are content with your life. I used to have two cats, a flock of chickens, a goose called Godfrey, rabbits and guinea pigs. The rabbits and guineas have since died, and I have now found homes for the chickens and goose. I was going to bring Godfrey to Ireland with me, but the thought of driving all that way with him in the car has not filled me with joy and anticipation. He's going to live with a good friend of mine, so I know he will be OK and I will visit. The cats were originally going to come with me, but my neighbour grew very attached to one of them and I couldn't have it on my conscience that I wrestled him away, so he is living in pampered luxury and I visit and pay the vet's bills. The other cat was always a bit wild and more than a little deranged, and I wasn't sure she'd make the journey, so she has also stayed. I miss them all, and when I can build a pine-marten-proof house will get more chooks and geese.

Shop was OK today. Boss late back so I left late - but he did go via the computer shop and brought me my toner cartridges. Was writing this as I carried on printing, but then one of the other cartridges ran out and the printer won't work without them all. So now going to be even later with the newsletter. It has been the first time I have used this printer in earnest so I wasn't really prepared for it being such a swine. Am going to lose on this job - a lesson for the future, but stomach is twisting now with how I'm going to get it finished.

Also got a bill today for over a thousand pounds for some work I needed on the roof of my house that I am letting out. I knew the work was going to be done but was told it wouldn't be for a couple of months.

All in all, not a very good debt clearing day - by far one of the worst debt adding days for quite a while. On the upside, I did find 42 cents in the street. :rolleyes:

So, BlondeHeadOn, filing tomorrow?

Hugely long post. Sorry. I'd like to say I normally don't waffle so much ...
    Last edited by Wordsmith; 18-03-2009 at 9:33 PM.
  • kelie
    Thanks for your kind words I need to give myself time to think but my OH keeps reminding me that I haven't worked for ages (even though he is unemployed and living off me!!)

I didn't get anything done today apart from deliver 2 avon orders (I am doing that on the side, every little helps but it is so different to my web design work). I got up this morning and me and my mum had to go get a bette midler CD to play at my dads funeral. We managed to find it in HMV mum got it. Only problem is I went into M&S and hit the food hall. Only 11 ish, which is actually rather good for me usually I spend a fortune in there. I know I can't afford it and I do shop in Lidls as well, but sometimes its nice to get a few bits from there that are really yummy.

Came back home, then sat for 2 hours with my sister re-writing the Uleogy (not sure how u spell it) for my dad. Dropped the OH at a mates house and have been sitting on the sofa on my netbook ever since, trying to sort things out but have a terrible migraine so I haven't done any work. Must admit spent far too long reading threads on here. I keep bursting into tears. I wish I could say it was all because of dad, but its not. It's the whole money situation, the fact that I gave up a really good guy for this new one, thinking I wanted a bit of fun when actually the new guy has been nothing but trouble. He doesn't respect me, but I fell in love with him and now I am really upset. My mum is set to have some financial difficulties soon without Dads pension. My sister is getting a divorce and I'm really frightened i';m going to lose my house (I had 30k deposit in my share).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,610Posts Today

5,854Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin