Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 16th Mar 09, 11:47 AM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony?
    • 16th Mar 09, 11:47 AM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony? 16th Mar 09 at 11:47 AM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony?

Artie’s cousin Tony and his wife, Carmella, have always been a bit dodgy, and live off ill-gotten gains. Artie’s not sure exactly what they’re into, but knows they’ve got their fingers in a few unsavoury pies. Yet Artie’s restaurant has run into trouble, and he badly needs some extra cash. Cousin Tony has offered him £500 as a gift, no strings attached. Should he take it?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Should Tina lend to Stina?
    Should rich Rich pay for Tom, !!!! & Harry?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 18th Mar 09, 1:46 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    • 18th Mar 09, 1:46 AM
    • 18th Mar 09, 1:46 AM
    No. I wouldn't.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Susan Frost
    • 18th Mar 09, 6:07 AM
    • 18th Mar 09, 6:07 AM
    I doubt it. Even if they had proper jobs as well, it would be the fact they do the dodgy stuff which allows them to have the spare money to give. So I would feel it came out of that stash.
    • furball
    • By furball 18th Mar 09, 8:05 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 3,761 Thanks
    furball
    • 18th Mar 09, 8:05 AM
    • 18th Mar 09, 8:05 AM
    No. I would think that if any of the dodgy dealings came to the attention of the police and it was found upon investigation that he had given money to Tony, even if Tony was innocent about where it came from, he could be accused of running his restaurant business on illegal earnings and could lose the restaurant.
    If i am wrong please correct me.
  • Steve Reading
    • 18th Mar 09, 9:30 AM
    Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony?
    • 18th Mar 09, 9:30 AM
    On the face of it, it seems a good deal....BUT. Given that Tony is into dodgy stuff, there is a possible money laundering issue here. Artie, ideally, should know where all his funding is coming from or he may get caught in a trap if Tony is investigated by the authorities.
    Best advice for Artie is go see his bank manager and discuss short term overdraft facilities or business loan. Alternatively, consider a cash injection from a 0% credit card.
    Personally, I would advise Artie to go see his local Business Link
  • sluggy1967
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:17 AM
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:17 AM
    The question is not asking if WE would take it, but whether Artie should take it. There is a big difference.
    If it was ME, no I wouldn't take it, but that would be because I wouldn't have anything to do with a dodgy cousin in the 1st place. You can't pick & choose what you accept from someone dodgy. If Artie has ever had a present from them, or so much as a birthday card or a cup of tea, it's come from their ill-gotten gains!
    Therefore, it makes sense for Artie to accept the money, otherwise he is cutting off his nose to spite his face!
  • Spider86
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:26 AM
    maybe?
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:26 AM
    I think it's easy for people to say, no i would do the right thing and not accept the money because i know it has come from dodgy dealings.

But then you have to consider the fact that when your business, and your main source of income faces the possibility of going under I'm sure you would find it easier to accept the money to keep you and your business afloat rather than end up bankrupt, jobless, incomeless and relying on benefits.
    • deefadog
    • By deefadog 18th Mar 09, 10:27 AM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    deefadog
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:27 AM
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:27 AM
    Yes, i would take it without a doubt! Your not to know where the money comes form for sure and i am all for giving people the benefit of doubt. Family after all.

• JayD
    • By JayD 18th Mar 09, 10:42 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:42 AM
    • 18th Mar 09, 10:42 AM
    Sadly I think I would refuse as I would consider it all too risky to run my business on 'illegal earnings' and immoral to do so on 'illgotten gains'.

Just a thought.
    I get a governement pension.
    Given the hugely unfair taxes levied on us all in every aspect of our lives that go towards paying for this, although my pension techinically may not be financed by 'illegal' earnings, I feel it is certainly financed through 'ill gotten gains'.
  • steam dan
    No. If all it is going to take is £500 to rescue the business then it isn't really in that much trouble. He shouldn't have any problems obtaining the money through legitimate means.
    Any way, if the money is dodgy whose to say that some !!!!! type guy won't suddenly claim that the £500 was rightfully his and he now owns part of your business. Not worth taking the risk.
  • abcdenicola
    Should Artie accept dodgy money from Tony?
    Apart from the legal problems Artie could get himself into if Tony was investigated, there is a moral issue here. If Artie accepts the money, it is never with "no ties". Tony could come back to Artie in the future and ask him to do something dodgy and Artie may feel pressured to do it as a moral obligation in return for Tony's saving his restaurant. NEVER put yourself in that position!!!!!!!!!
  • JohnVR
    It is always easier to make moral judgements but the test of anyone's metal is if they stand by them in times of duress and need. The question is really, 'Does Artie consider his cousin's dealings dodgy or this someone elses judgement?' Just because something is legal does not make it right and vice versa. Just look at our present financial predicament caused by "experts" using legal means!
  • euchrid
    No he shouldn't, unless Tony is able to prove that the £500 has been obtained legally (unlikely I suspect).
    • deefadog
    • By deefadog 18th Mar 09, 11:31 AM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    deefadog
    If Tony did come back and asked for favors, then the answer is simple - put a horses head in his bed - He should get the message then!

• Tetsugaku-San
    What a stupid question of course you should take the money - there's no such thing as 'dirty money' it's all money, nothing more nothing less, if you need it, take it.
  • ~Jem~
    Lol im loving the SOPRANOS theme here!
    And if you were to cut a horses head off and put it in his bed, it would probably be the last thing you ever do, he is the boss after all!

But seriously i agree with the fact that its no different from accepting a gift, its paid for with the same money, so yeah he should accept.
    He's not doing it to trap him, he's doing it because he cares, he is a family man after all!
    Started DMP Oct 2011 - £7082
    Feb 2012 - £6562
    July 2012 - £6112
    Oct 2012 - £5781
  • mobomo
    Of course he should. The Politicians and Bankers have been doing it for years and not just 50 quid.
  • keeleyw24
    Hell no!
    I'm thinking that he shouldn't accept this money, do it the honest way! Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy I find !!

I'm new on here so hope I've posted this properly... eek! But loving being a new money saver!!

Keeley x
    42'300 in debt Jan 08
    26'400 in debt Aug 08 Sold the house though
    18'500 in debt Nov 09 Loving saving and getting our lives back! YAY!

CHRISTMAS SOON WOOP! But been made redundant, grrrrrrrr!
  • TCO987
    lol
    he should take the money with both hands !
    • blued
    • By blued 18th Mar 09, 4:32 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    blued
    I'd take it. Given the fact Tony had his previous restaurant blown up I'd want more than £500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,690Posts Today

4,449Users online

Martin's Twitter