Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 10th Dec 04, 6:57 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Orchid Dialler Discount
    • 10th Dec 04, 6:57 PM
    Orchid Dialler Discount 10th Dec 04 at 6:57 PM
    Update note 24 May. Orchid Dialler is now giving MSE users a 20% discount if bought through its new webshop. Details are below.

Orchid Dialler boxes are something i already recommend in my home phone article. Effectively it allows you to pre-programme the box so calls are automatically put the choosen provider. Especially useful for those using call18866 and other numbers in combination.

Anyway as the email below details as many of their custom comes from this site - they're offering a discount. (obviously there is no financial link between MSE and Orchid)

Dear Martin

Thanks to you we are saving s using the Fantastic 18866 phone service. We are a supplier of Dialler boxes which are being purchased in greater numbers by 18866 users.Our Dialler boxes ensure that ALL calls go over the 18866 service,no need to remember to pre dial the 18866 number.

We sell Diallers Direct to end users at 9.99 for a single carrier or 14.99 for a multiple carrier version.

If MoneySavers quote "MoneySaving Expert" when placing their orders we will give them a 10% discount.

Update: In order to get the 20% discount they need to register on the website, and enter discount code "3" when promted. www.orchid-electronics.com.

This is an excusive deal to Moneysavingexpert.
    MoneySavers can get information on our Diallers at http://www.orchid-telecom.com/.

The Orderline is 01572 717888
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-10-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Page 1
  • ginger_nuts
    • 10th Dec 04, 8:59 PM
    Re: Orchid Dialler Discount
    • 10th Dec 04, 8:59 PM
    this may sound silly but can these dialers be used with cordless phones ,also my internet is a dial up connection will it cause a problem with that .
    • stub451
    • By stub451 15th Dec 04, 10:54 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stub451
    • 15th Dec 04, 10:54 PM
    • 15th Dec 04, 10:54 PM
    this may sound silly but can these dialers be used with cordless phones ,also my internet is a dial up connection will it cause a problem with that .
    Yes and No.

Yes. The dialer plugs into the base unit and the BT socket. All your other cordless phones get the benefit of the one dialer.

No. Just prorgam the dialer to route your internet connection at the cheapest rate (e.g. cheapest for 0845 numbers) and problem solved.

• dusiepooley
    • 16th Dec 04, 11:06 AM
    • 16th Dec 04, 11:06 AM
    Wouldn't you have to make an awful lot of calls to make it worth spending 9.99 on the dialler though when the calls themselves are free? In fact with 18866 you would have to make 999 to make it break even? Maybe I am just being a bit thick..................... ???
  • MartinF
    • 16th Dec 04, 12:37 PM
    • 16th Dec 04, 12:37 PM
    Hi All

I have been using 2x Orchid V4 diallers for about 2 months now. ( I had two cordless base units at different ends of the house so I needed 2 units but most folk will only need one).

The units plug in betwwen the first BT box and all your phones. It picks up the dialling and routes the call to whatever providers you want depending on the type of call.

As example here is my current setup:

local/national calls - 1866 (1p connection +free )
    calls 0845,0870 - BT ( cheapest currently ? )
    calls (premium ) - barred
    calls 118XXX - the directory enquiry of your choice
    calls to USA/Canada - 1899 (3p connection + .5ppm )
    calls to Australia - 18866 (1p connection + 2ppm )
    other international calls - 18866

The dialler will also alow you to send calls to different providers at certain times of the day as it has a built in clock.

Therefore if a provider offers free nighttime calls you can route those calls to that provider whilst daytime calls go to another provider.

It does take a while to figure out the different functions.

As one can change things on a daily/hourly basis if needed , it means your family do not have to remember prefixes and remember which provider is cheapest for the type of call they are making.

All in all I am very pleased with the Orchid dialler and the help-line service.

HTH

Martin
  • daymondharris
    • 16th Dec 04, 12:56 PM
    • 16th Dec 04, 12:56 PM
    Just ordered 3!! got my 10% discount too. very helpful man thanks alot. Will let you know :
    • digital
    • By digital 16th Dec 04, 1:16 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    digital
    • 16th Dec 04, 1:16 PM
    • 16th Dec 04, 1:16 PM
    I have been using 2x Orchid V4 diallers for about 2 months now. ( I had two cordless base units at different ends of the house so I needed 2 units but most folk will only need one).

The units plug in betwwen the first BT box and all your phones.
    I bought one of these at the beginning of the week. Does what it says on the tin, and the email support is outstanding. However, I'm trying to understand why you needed two. If you have one plugged into your BT master socket then shouldn't it intercept all calls from all extensions in the house?

As example here is my current setup:

calls 0845,0870 - BT ( cheapest currently ? )
    I checked 18866 and 1899 when I set mine up and it appeared that 1899 was cheapest, although I couldn't find BT's rates on BT's site (!) and had to get them from Tiscali's.

Therefore if a provider offers free nighttime calls you can route those calls to that provider whilst daytime calls go to another provider.
    TalkTalk are currently offering free evening and weekend calls for 12 months if you sign up with them. You also get 20 for signing up and whoever refers you also gets 20. However, I'm currently trying to clarify how the 20 is paid. The web site says 'cash' but, depending on who you speak to at TalkTalk it might be a credit on the account. Even one of their customer service people admitted she was getting conflicting information!

It does take a while to figure out the different functions.
    A whole new vocabulary!

As one can change things on a daily/hourly basis if needed , it means your family do not have to remember prefixes and remember which provider is cheapest for the type of call they are making.
    Which goes a long way to answering the point that it will take a while to cover the initial cost. On this basis I bought the V4 at 5 more for the added functionality.
  • MartinF
    • 16th Dec 04, 1:36 PM
    • 16th Dec 04, 1:36 PM
    Hi digital,

The reason I needed 2x diallers was that at the BT entry point there is no socket just a box.

Therefore I reckoned that it was cheaper to buy 2x diallers rather than pay BT xx for an engineer visit to convert the entry box to a socket.

Most folk with modern BT sytems should find the socket at the BT entry point and just insert the Orchid between that and the rest of the house system.

Re your query as to whether BT were cheapest for 0845/0870. I took for gospel a post earlier in this forum that said BT were currently cheapest.

Of course,things are changing almost daily so we need a watch out for rate changes.

I did suggest to the very helpful chap at Orchid that they offer a "current cheapest" schedule for downloading but he did not think it worth while.

I think Orchid usually supply these dialler direct to the telco's in 'ooos preprogrammed so the sale of a few singles will not set them on fire.

They are tho' so very helpful when I asked all the usual newbie questions.

Really Orchid need a simple "Janet&John"style handbook as the current manual assumes knowledge of phrases like "router code" "product population" "carrier codes" and similar phrases. One soon gets the hang of it though.

Martin
    • leaphaze
    • By leaphaze 16th Dec 04, 3:57 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    leaphaze
    • 16th Dec 04, 3:57 PM
    • 16th Dec 04, 3:57 PM
    According to www.saynoto0870.com BT is cheaper nights and w/e at 1p per min. 1899 is 3p per min at all times.

(back to the main subject) I've had an Orchid dialler for several months. Takes a while to get used to the software, but all the info is in the documentation. Well worth the cost, I think.
    • mary
    • By mary 16th Dec 04, 8:40 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    mary
    The cynic in me was slightly amused to see the Contact No for this company is an 0870 number, I thought the idea was to save money!
  • stellagypsy
    Mary - I noticed that too! I just went on to "saynoto0870" and got the geographic number.

Also - I had a nightmare trying to programme my dialler when I was on NTL but am back with BT now (not for that reason, just that NTL are CRAP) and tried again - bingo! it worked first time. I had to e-mail Orchid and they responded promptly and answered my question, even offered to ring me to talk me through it if I still couldn't do it. Great customer service.

HTH, Stella
  • tunneller
    Leaphase - Just to clarify that 1899 is 3 pence for the connection - the rate per minute is 0 pence
  • MartinF
    HI

As mentioned ,Orchid list an 0870 number for the dialler to contact to download the routing instructions.

However, in fairness , Orchid now also give a proper o1XXXX geo number which you can choose to use.

Although I too detest 0870/0845 numbers the dialler only dials home yearly after you have set up the routing so even using an 0870 number is no big deal.

I must comment on the service. I 'phoned Orchid several times when I first got my diallers and found them to be most helpful.

Emails were replied to by return so a big thumbs up to Orchid after sales service

Martin
    • Toxteth_OGrady
    • By Toxteth_OGrady 18th Dec 04, 4:56 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Toxteth_OGrady
    The cynic in me was slightly amused to see the Contact No for this company is an 0870 number, I thought the idea was to save money!
    Although I too detest 0870/0845 numbers the dialler only dials home yearly after you have set up the routing so even using an 0870 number is no big deal.
    Both slightly unfair and a tad misleading. Orchid now actively encourages the use of its geographic number for the dialler call home function. Not only that, there is also a routing code that uses the 18866 prefix to call home because they too have thought that the idea was to save money!!

Even better they have taken it a step further by advising customers by e-mail that there can be a problem using the 18866 routing code and how to fix it. Here is Orchid's latest Technical Bulletin e-mail:

Dear Customer

Further to our previous technical bulletin concerning Carrier Prefixed Call Home No.s such as the 18866#01536272200 number for example, having monitored the incoming call stats over the past weeks we've seen a significant increase in the number of calls being routed back into the UK Network from abroad. This has the effect of incorrectly presenting the telephone number of the line your V4 product is installed on, applying a 0044 prefix and dropping the first 0 of the STD Code, causing the call to be terminated as an unknown CLI by the platform.

Unfortunately as we cannot guarantee the successful connection of any product using a carrier prefixed call home number, we strongly recommend that you either select our alternative 01536272200 Geographic number or only continue to use your Carrier Prefixed number having enabled your products 'Lock Cli' function.

......and no I don't work for them. I just think that they have a brilliant product that has helped me reduce my total phone bill from over 50 pcm to under 15.

Their customer support is second to none. As an example I requested unique routing codes so I could route calls to my 3 mobiles through TalkTalk Calling Circle during weekdays rather than the 18866/1899 I usually use for calls to all other mobiles. It was done in less than a day!!

8)

TOG
    • Toxteth_OGrady
    • By Toxteth_OGrady 19th Dec 04, 12:26 AM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Toxteth_OGrady
    btw Mods - shouldn't this be a sticky. It's a good ongoing deal

8)

TOG
  • misspriscilla
    Since I have used 3u telecom's prefix 1664 when dialling 1845/ 0880 numbers my bills have fallen drastically. They are very helpful and can be contacted on 0800 279 0091 or www.3utelecom.co.uk. I had to disconect onetel's carrier pre selection service before the prefix would work.
  • misspriscilla
    0845/0870 are the number I meant to write.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 24th Dec 04, 12:34 PM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    islandman
    I never feel uncomfortable about asking dumb questions because I like to feel there are folk like me who fail to comprehend this technical stuff.

My question is, having looked at the Orchid Dialler picture on their site, it appears to be a flat item. So where and how do you

1) attach to the main BT box ?

2) attach your telephone cable ?

3) assuming there is provision for them both on the reverse, ............

4) how do you then programe in the prefix's to enable your call to pass through the appropriate provider ?

Thanks in anticipation.
    • digital
    • By digital 24th Dec 04, 3:06 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    digital
    So where and how do you

1) attach to the main BT box ?
    A short cable is provided to connect the dialler to your BT box. It plugs in just like any other telephone equipment.

2) attach your telephone cable ?
    There are two sockets on the side of the dialler.

4) how do you then programe in the prefix's to enable your call to pass through the appropriate provider ?
    You download Orchid's CWClient software and use that. There are a couple of samples to work from included.

Once you have set up the routing the software sends it to Orchid's server and you then force the dialler to connect to Orchid's server by using the keys on your phone.

All of the above applies to the V4Plus dialler. I have no experience of the cheaper version.

If you go to Orchid's site you can download the Quick Start User Guide from http://www.orchid-electronics.com/QuickStartUserGuide.pdf

• Toxteth_OGrady
    • By Toxteth_OGrady 30th Dec 04, 7:44 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Toxteth_OGrady
    btw Mods - shouldn't this be a sticky. !It's a good ongoing deal !
    Bump

C'mon Mods. How about the sticky??? Especially since the OP was MSE Martin and the deal is exclusive to Moneysavers

I'm sure many of us are making excellent savings through the use of this great piece of kit. Shame to lose sight of the discount when the thread falls off the front page.

8)

TOG
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin