Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sb44
    • By sb44 26th Feb 09, 7:31 PM
    • 5,182Posts
    • 12,231Thanks
    sb44
    Empty loaf bags, what do you use yours for?
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:31 PM
    Empty loaf bags, what do you use yours for? 26th Feb 09 at 7:31 PM
    For some reason I have started folding and saving my empty loaf bags, don't know why as I haven't done it before.

I just emptied the crumbs out of one the other week, folded it and put it away and have been doing it with the last few since.

:rolleyes:

Now, do I need to throw these away or can someone please come to my rescue and tell me that I am not going mad and give me some ideas what I can use them for other than storing homemade bread in.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 03-03-2009 at 6:55 PM.
Page 1
    • daska
    • By daska 26th Feb 09, 7:38 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:38 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:38 PM
    I've only ever seen people use them to take their packed lunches in - is a good question!

if they're biodegradable then you might be able to use them to line a compost caddy?
    • foxybabe
    • By foxybabe 26th Feb 09, 7:39 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    foxybabe
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:39 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:39 PM
    I use mine as poo bags......for the dogs
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance....
  • KarrieBee
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:43 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:43 PM
    My OH uses them as sandwich bags.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'
    • Gracie_1827
    • By Gracie_1827 26th Feb 09, 7:45 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    Gracie_1827
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:45 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:45 PM
    I use them instead of clingfilm. Put half onions, turnip, celery etc. saves them drying out. Then you could throw them away knowing they've been reused at least once.
    GC - Oct 36.17/31
    GC - Sep 35.56/30
    GC - Aug 30.73/31
    GC - Jul 30.80/31
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 26th Feb 09, 7:49 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    JulieM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:49 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:49 PM
    I reuse bread bags for freezing home made cakes. I store the empty bags in the fridge or freezer till I need them so that any stray breadcrumbs that may have been left behind don't go mouldy. Glad I'm not the only one who can't bear to throw these away!
  • sairy2005
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:51 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:51 PM
    We have an open fire so I keep all these sort of bags - i.e loaf, banana and the paper bags fruit and veg comes in from market stalls. I keep one by the sink and any burnable rubbish goes in it and at the end of the day I put it on the fire.
    • kitschkitty
    • By kitschkitty 26th Feb 09, 7:52 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    kitschkitty
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:52 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:52 PM
    With the normal sliced loaf bags my mum has always just used them as a sandwich bag once you get through the loaf. I do if I remember, but I have a terrible habit of forgetting to toast the crusts, then realising they've gone mouldy- so don't want to reuse a mouldy bread bag!

Paper bags always just go in the recycling, the bags from supermarket bakery products just end up straight in the bin as they rip apart.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 26th Feb 09, 7:56 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:56 PM
    • 26th Feb 09, 7:56 PM
    I use them as sandwich bags, freezer bags, as a cover for leftover food that goes in the fridge-if it's on a plate you can put the whole thing in the bag and it doesn't dry out.! I'm a bit obsessive about re-using things, I save marg tubs too for sandwhich boxes and storing food in the freezer - ideal for individual portions
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • foreign correspondent
    • By foreign correspondent 26th Feb 09, 8:01 PM
    • 9,029 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    foreign correspondent
    maybe use them once for taking sarnies to work in, but then chuck them!! I am cleaning my grandma's house whilst she is in hospital ad she has hoarded loads of the bl00dy things.... its a bit depressing!
  • jennet1
    I use them as freezer bags
  • luckys mum
    I fill them up with breadcrumbs and then keep it in the freezer.
  • Mellika
    I save all my dry bread in them, which I then turn into breadcrumbs. Then I use them as mini rubbish bags.
    GC March Wk1 28.72/30 Wk2 28.4/29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1)
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • beachbuffy
    I use mine as poo bags......for the dogs
    Originally posted by foxybabe

yep me too.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 26th Feb 09, 8:54 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I use them for hm bread, freezer bags, sandwich bags and turn them inside out if I am making chocolate decorations
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 26th Feb 09, 9:04 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    When i used to buy bread i re used the bags for just about everything that has already been posted, they are also good to keep in a coat pocket when out walking as if you see any blackberries etc you can shove a handfull in.

Years ago we used to put on a pair of socks then put a breadbag on each foot and then more socks before we put wellies on to go out and play in the snow, they used to keep our feet warm for ages
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • ali1972
    Over 25 years ago the cook at my boarding school used to pack our marmalade sandwiches in loaf bags (accompanied by a can of Panda Cola and a bag of Tudor prawn cocktail crisps) before we were taken hiking over the mountains! Kids today don't know they're born...
    • Patchwork Quilt
    • By Patchwork Quilt 26th Feb 09, 10:01 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 11,056 Thanks
    Patchwork Quilt
    I wash them out and then stick on the drainer until the outside is dry, then turn them inside out until the inside is dry. Then we use them for normal plastic bag stuff - however, I do wrap food up before using them as sandwich bags just in case there is one drop of water that might contain one germ etc
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 26th Feb 09, 10:07 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    Ben84
    We used to use them to empty ash trays.

However, I don't smoke any more and it turns out most the bags are LDPE plastic, which can be recycled in the bag bin at sainsburys, so I take them there to recycle.
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 27th Feb 09, 12:19 AM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    I wash them out and then stick on the drainer until the outside is dry, then turn them inside out until the inside is dry. Then we use them for normal plastic bag stuff - however, I do wrap food up before using them as sandwich bags just in case there is one drop of water that might contain one germ etc
    Originally posted by Patchwork Quilt
    Thank goodness someone has said they wash them!! I absolutely can't stand the smell of the inside of them and used to hate retrieving my packed lunch from them when I was at school!

Someone on a Readitswapit forum once suggested they would be good for wrapping the book in before packaging it for posting. Ugh! I would imagine I could smell the smell on the book, even if I couldn't, if you know what I mean.
    I have no urge to reuse them for anything and just chuck bread bags, even though I reuse all sorts of other little bags and containers.

Rereading this post, think I must be repressing some childhood memory of trauma involving bread bags to feel this strongly!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,630Posts Today

4,820Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin